Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ethernet bug?  (Read 3197 times)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Ethernet bug?
« on: August 22, 2015, 02:33:37 PM »

I've noticed since upgrading to Win10, sometimes the network doesn't appear at all.

I used to have a similar problem with Win7, though that got solved when I put a static internal IP on the computer/windows.

But on Win10, the network connection just isn't there. The only network connections in the control panel are bluetooth. If I restart Win10 it will mostly re-appear and I have connection to the net.

Could this be a driver issue?

I've noticed that the Windows Update in Win10 isn't as comprehensive as it is in, well at least XP. In XP there was lots of optional updates to do with hardware. But in Win10 updates I've never seen it. The only non-OS update was the HP Printer (and it got that wrong).

Maybe I'm missing the section on non-OS updates? Does Win10 update have that, or have they dropped it?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Ethernet bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 02:45:40 PM »

@Bowdon

Right click the 'Start Button'
select Control Panel on the dropdown menu
Goto 'Network and Internet'
Goto 'Network and Sharing Center'
Click the highlighted link next to 'Connections' [On the right hand side of the screen .... blue highlight/underline.]

This should give you the pop-up window to allow you to change your IP etc

If stuck ask :)

BTW: OT relating to your previous posting
There are cheap Win 8 / Win 8.1 Pro copies on sale at Tescos (Easy to upgrade to Win10 .... if you want :) )
Check out http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/windows-8-pro-tesco-store-now-9-80-2268236
Search site for others, there appears to be a few deals at tescos.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »

Hmm.. this happened again.

The network adapter seems to be disconnected. Though a reboot seems to fix it.

I went in to the device manager and it as the little (!) over the device. I wonder if it needs some new driver.

One thing I've noticed with the W10 updates is it doesnt seem to give an option to see what other device adapters there are. On XP and Win7 you could pick.. critical or optional updates.

If I typed ipconfig during this nothing appears. It's like the whole network card isn't recognised, until I reboot.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 07:30:31 PM by Bowdon »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »

The "!" over the device means that the driver is having a problem.
If MS have updated the driver 'automagically' during one of the many updates it could appear as you describe if the driver install needed a reboot.
It would explain why the reboot fixed the problem.
If you check the event logs there should be something recorded when the fault appears and when it is fixed by the reboot.

Does this happen in a predictable way ?
Can you go through a known sequence of actions to force it to fail or is it random?

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 11:26:06 AM »

I have a feeling its a generic driver that's currently installed. I'm not sure if it was generic in W7 though. I have found a driver that seems to be a windows 10, so if the problem persists I'll install it.

I'll have to check the event logs to see what it says next time it happens.

The only similar thing that used to happen when running W7 was when I had my network setup to allocate IP addresses, sometimes the W7 machine wouldn't get one. It could still detect the network though and I could manually tell it to search again and it would get an IP address. This was fixed though when I set each device on the network with a static IP address.

When this current issue happens on the Win10 machine if I type ipconfig on the command prompt line, nothing appears. It just says media disconnected. It's like it doesnt see the network card at all.

It does seem random. I'll load up Win10 and in a minority of boot ups I get the little x on the network icon in the taskbar.

At the moment its not a big issue as W10 reboots quickly compared to even W7. But it can be annoying if people are waiting for me to join a game and I move over to that computer only to find I got to reboot again.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »

It just did it again. This time I took 2 pictures, one while I had no network connection and the other with a network connection.

It seems sometimes it loads up and doesnt recognise my network adapter.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 08:50:55 PM »

I noticed it had 82579V in the working screenshot, but 82579LM in the not working screenshot.

I searched Google for 82579v and found: NVM Update Utility for Intel® 82579V

This utility resolves an issue where during system resume, the Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet PHY Network Connection erroneously reports the device id as an Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet Controller Network Connection, resulting in a Windows* Code 10 error and loss of network connection.

Which sounds exactly like the problem here.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 02:36:45 PM »

Well spotted! :)

I've downloaded and run the utility. Hopefully that fixes the issue.