Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: HG612 Modem Stats  (Read 9694 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: HG612 Modem Stats
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »

I don't think I had interleaving applied on the HH5A - is there a way to check from the HH event logs?

My understanding is that while the HH5A didn't support G.INP as it has the same chipset as the ECI modems, this was fixed via a firmware update that BT rolled out.
Unfortunately, there's no way to tell with the HH5A as it doesn't report interleaving or errors or much of anything useful.

The firmware update didn't fix anything to do with G.INP, it was just an incremental fix for the EU directive on power saving AFAIK.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 11:24:52 PM »

As others have said the max attainable figure goes skewy if Interleaving (or more correctly Error Correction) has been applied. 
We are uncertain why this is, but my guess would be that its something to do with the overheads required for FEC.

FEC overheads aren't part of the sync speed, yet the modem still has to transmit those overheads on top of line speed.   If we work on the basis that FEC overheads are circa 12%* and you are syncing at 40Mbps, then in all reality you are pushing 44.8 Mbps down the line. - the extra is hidden from view but theres a couple of different methods in how that overhead can be transmitted.... and how much is subtracted from sync or sent via a reserved channel or frequency (too long of an explanation for this post).  Its that overhead which seems to confuse the max calculation on some routers.

*12% is an average, but it can be more depending upon the INP value set by DLM
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 11:29:25 PM »

I believe I can hear noise on the line when doing a 17070 quiet line test buts its intermittent..

Once G.INP is enabled on your line the DS errored seconds will drop but the US errored seconds will still be visable as it will be on fastpath.

G.INP to be active on a new line like yours could take weeks or a month so please be patient  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 11:28:49 AM »

FWIW telnet current states...

Many thanks for all your replies - on reflection, I don't think I had interleaving with the HH5A-simply as the link never went down until I replaced it with the HG612

Looking at the line stats (in the post above) it states:

Interleave depth:          1      1
INP:                       0      0
G.INP:                     Not enabled

which from the helpful interleaving guide on the main site means (I believe) I was also on Fast Path when I connected the HG612

However, I was remotely disconnected this morning and it looks as if the exchange has applied interleaving.

My line currently reports:

xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 20892 Kbps, Downstream rate = 58048 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39994 Kbps

Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
     VDSL Port Details        Upstream        Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:       20892 kbps          58048 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:          7.1 dBm           13.3 dBm

xdslcmd info --Hlog
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason:   1
Last initialization procedure status:   0
Max:   Upstream rate = 20949 Kbps, Downstream rate = 58276 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39994 Kbps

SLAM/MSAN type:           BDCM:0xa48c / v0xa48c
Modem/router firmware:     AnnexA version - A2pv6C038m.d24j
DSL mode:                  VDSL2 Profile 17a
Uptime:                    1 hours 28 min 49 sec
Resyncs:                   1 (since 20 Aug 2015 19:42:53)

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     16.2      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not monitored      
Connection speed (kbps):   39994      10000
SNR margin (dB):           8.8      12.0
Power (dBm):               13.3      7.1
Interleave depth:          1283      211
INP:                       3.50      4.00
G.INP:                     Not enabled      

RSCorr/RS (%):             0.0002      0.0278
RSUnCorr/RS (%):           0.0000      0.0000
ES/hour:                   3.35      3.29

which is the first time I have ever seen the max upstream over 18MB (or a reference to Upstream rate = 10000 Kbps)  and the download max attainable speed is similar to that of the HH5A.. - not sure why the line didn't go straight to G.INP though..

I would post some graphs (some can obviously see them online on the my dsl stats website) but havent been able to get HG612 Modem stats to play with XP (it refuses to schedule a task)

PS: not sure it impacts matters at all but am using a MK3 master socket but the only change to the line was that I had caller ID enabled in the early hours..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:37:36 AM by gt94sss2 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 09:14:51 PM »

I would post some graphs (some can obviously see them online on the my dsl stats website) but havent been able to get HG612 Modem stats to play with XP (it refuses to schedule a task)

Hmmm. That's odd as the programs usually work very reliably with XP.

Are you receiving any error messages when attempting to create the task?

I wonder if it could be that your firewall and/or AV program need to be told to 'always allow' the programs.

You could test that by attempting to run each program in the Scripts folder manually.
Windows might then ask you whether to allow them or not.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 10:02:48 PM »

Hmmm. That's odd as the programs usually work very reliably with XP.

Are you receiving any error messages when attempting to create the task?

When I try and create a task, it asks for my XP username/password. I originally didn't have a password on the system and it didn't like that. I added one and still get:

There was an error creating the task, the task will not be created.
Its possible you didn't enter the username or password correctly.
If you choose to cancel than the task will not be created and the logging program will not run

I wonder if it could be that your firewall and/or AV program need to be told to 'always allow' the programs.

You could test that by attempting to run each program in the Scripts folder manually.
Windows might then ask you whether to allow them or not.

This machine is just running the standard Windows XP AV/firewall - no external ones. Running the scripts independently suggests they work - its the username/password bit that is stopping me..

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2015, 07:39:01 AM »

A password isn't actually necessary for HG612 Modem Stats on a PC that doesn't need one to log in to Windows when booting up.

Maybe you could remove the Windows password you have recently added, reboot the PC and then ignore the password request when trying to create the task.

It shouldn't really make any difference, but is it XP Pro or Home that you are using?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 08:06:25 AM by Bald_Eagle1 »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2015, 06:42:53 PM »

Sorry for the delay in replying - real life got in the way.

I have tried to download the software from scratch to try again.

I still get told its the wrong password (I don't have one now - its been removed) when trying to create a task and get the error message "The task "HG612 Stats Program" does not exist." if clicking on the red scheduled task does not exist button.

FWIT its XP Home

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2015, 08:57:21 PM »

Have you tried simply leaving the password blank?

If you don't use a Windows username either, have you tried leaving both username & password blank?
That worked for my brother-in-law the other night, but he is using Windows 7.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 09:41:12 PM »

Have you tried simply leaving the password blank?

Yes - it complains that some things might not work without a password - lets me continue and then I get the same erroe.

If you don't use a Windows username either, have you tried leaving both username & password blank?That worked for my brother-in-law the other night, but he is using Windows 7.

It won't accept a blank user name - and insists on populating it with the name of the Admin account

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »

Would it not be simpler to manually create the task, just name it "HG612 Stats Program" and the GUI will detect it. It needs to run the "HG612_Run.exe" program which is in the scripts folder every minute.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:48:44 AM by Ronski »
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 09:09:19 AM »

This could be related to the issue referred to here:-

http://www.techrepublic.com/forums/questions/access-denied-on-xp-scheduler-xp-pro-sp3/

I initially didn't suggest manually creating a task in an attempt to troubleshoot/understand why the task couldn't be created via the GUI.
It's not a problem that I have been alerted to previously, but as some users do still use XP machines, it would be most useful to find a resolution should it ever happen again.

My only other thought (at the moment) is that it could be the general Windows User Access Control setting being set too high on gt94sss2's PC.

If all fails then yes, setting up the task manually may be the answer, unless manual creation is also prevented.
In which case, the suggestions offered in the link I posted above may assist.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 12:29:55 PM »

All,

Thanks for the continuing suggestions. I think we are getting closer to solving the issue. When trying to create a scheduled task manually, I get an Error 0x80070005 at the last stage - which I think is the issue Bald_Eagle1 identifies in the link above.

I found https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/904423 but the Hotfix won't install as its already in included in SP3 so need to try and find another solution

Of course, the longer term answer is to try the upgrade to Win7 on this machine (a Samsung NC10) but I can't do that atm..

Ronski

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2015, 02:01:30 PM »

At least we know it's not a fault of the GUI, the way to automate task creation in XP was fairly limited IIRC, so it didn't give much feedback error wise.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything