Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: MS confirms my doubts re:Control of your 'own' PC  (Read 10093 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: MS confirms my doubts re:Control of your 'own' PC
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »

@sevenlayermuddle

It comes back to 'Informed consent' as stated.
If you are happy with the 'Give' and 'take' ..... OK

Too many are not noticing what it happening when the press they 'Quick Update' Button.

I realise that I am doing a 'King Canute' but some noise needs to be made.  :( >:(

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »

I do feel however that many large corporations are going the route of saying  you can create your data but we will get access to it by fair means or potentially foul, which is why I dont use the cloud and never will, all my data is held on my own equipment. M$ have taken this all a big step too far in my view and I hope it will come back to bite them hard at a later stage (probably when huge amounts of customer data is exposed on the web), I fully expect this to happen.

Totally agree, re cloud, scares me a lot.

Apple are role model in that respect, at least.  Yes they encourage you to use an iCloud sign in when setting up an OS X user but it clear what they are asking, it is easy to say 'no', and the answer is accepted.

Similarly with iOS, you don't have to sign up to iCloud and even if you do, you can sign out again.  Same for the App store.  Contrast with Android... one reason I stopped using my own darned Android was the multitude of devious ways google seemed to be contriving to get me signed back in again to my google account, even when I thought I'd signed out.   

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »

it is obvious that Siri is going to upload content to Apple

Unfotunately it isn't obvious to a large percentage for the reason I stated previously. And to touch on a point that AArdvark made Siri and I guess other product state they will store data about 3rd party. So Info about me could be stored without my knowledge or consent.

Even if you turn "off" features they can be turned on again remotely by the provider. So how knows BB maybe listening and watching without your consent or knowledge.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2015, 11:22:41 PM »

To round off the Apple references in this thread...

There are many reasons for not using Apple software.   Just 'not liking Apple' is a very good reason, we are all entitled to our opinions, and I'm a big believer in going with hunches.

But not using Apple because of privacy concerns is frankly absurd.  Privacy invasion is just not Apple's thing, especially compared with the likes of Microsoft and Google.  And yet, I'd bet good money that most of those claiming to be worried about Apple's privacy have an Android phone.   :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 12:05:51 AM »

You feel compelled to 'defend' Apples 'Honour' ....... From what ? and Why ?
They are a Business just like MS and Google and others.
They will monitise their users just like everyone else.
Unless you have access to their source and know everything they do, you can only surmise they are not as bad as the others.

You are now debating 'shades of gray' as in 'up to that point is good' but 'after that point is bad'.
Monitising your users on the basis of their data is bad ..... Full Stop.
Doing it 'nicely' does not change anything.

You are debating a 'feeling' about/for a corporate entity  ???

This whole 'shades of gray' attitude is part of the problem as Apple get away with it on the basis of a 'feeling', yet there is nothing to stop them evolving their techniques.
They are obviously very good at it and that is why they are being copied.
Is it possible for Apple to ever be considered 'Bad' ?

Slick advertising and extremely effective building of a 'Apple mentality' in the workers and the customers is proof to me that they are just as driven to make money as anyone else.
Apple make money because they are good at manipulating their customers and selling a 'life style image', that is not a person but a corporate machine focused on money & profit.

Like\love your apple products if you want but becoming an Evangelist for the 'Apple Image' is too far for me.  ;D

Think carefully is there any other product that you own that you would defend to this degree, as not just you like the product but feel compelled to defend a presumed attack on the company itself like it was a real person.

Do you not think this is strange to have such a personal investment in a 'Company'. ?

I am sorry if this offends you but I am amazed at this reaction for/about a Company !

Remember also its products are produced by people who are NOT living the 'Apple Life Style' because that generates more profits for Apple.
Does that not give you a clue that they are a Corporate entity chasing profits just like MS & Google !

Finally, MS, Google & Apple will all tell me that the data they take is for my benefit and to ensure a better experience etc etc
Why is MS & Googles word worth less than Apples or vice versa ?

Any Corporate entity that makes the amount of money MS, Google & Apple make, is NOT my friend and will not be working for my benefit.
Of this I can be very very sure. !!
  ;D ;D :D

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 12:18:24 AM »

Frankly Arrdvark, I am finding it hard to follow your logic.

But may I ask, do you have an Android phone?

If so, let me see,  you are clearly concerned about privacy, yet you are using the services and software of Google ... In the words of Mr McEnroe 30 odd years ago...

you can not  be serious'.   :)

If you're phone is not Android then please accept grovelling apologies.   :blush:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2015, 12:45:16 AM »

Please advise where the logic is faulty and I will explain or correct ?

Yes I do own an Android Phone but I do not log into any Google services or store any data on Google as the real me or tbh very very little as any ID.
My Id is made up and contains no real data.
I cannot be traced or tracked as me.
You may be able to know where my phone is, if I have GPS switched on.
My home signal is so bad I connect via Broadband so as far as the world is concerned I am at the point 3's network joins to the Internet.

I only store things in the cloud that are of my choosing.
You would be lucky to find a photograph of me, never mind anything else.
My phone is for making calls and not for dumping my whole life in other peoples faces.
I do not use Twitter, Facebook etc etc

I use the bits of the Internet that serve me and no more.

As I am constrained from being able to build my own phone that is the best I can do and still have a mobile.

Berrick

• Reg Member
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2015, 03:24:59 PM »

I have both an Iphone 6 and find the OS IMO very aukward and a Windows phone which I prefer the OS but it too has its problems not least the crappy sound.

But the point being discussed is that everyone is hell bent on getting information on you, your habbits and those you know. Even apps which dont need to do this insist you give it.

Whilst a lot of good has been gained from the vast amount of data which has been gained in recent years, individuals have no control over what is gained, who has access or how its used. As such we are only a few steps from being manipulated in sinister ways.  “All power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely.”  >:D

IF you dont think you are being manipulated just consider how barefruits and Google works.

You may be able to know where my phone is, if I have GPS switched on
AArdvark I hope you have WiFi disabled otherwise your phone can still be tracked
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2015, 06:13:27 PM »

AArdvark I hope you have WiFi disabled otherwise your phone can still be tracked

;D ;D
I know, I never use Wi-fi outside. I have signed up for the Free O2 Wi-fi but never used it. (Yet another Id that is 'not me' :) )
Pages: 1 2 [3]