Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: this happened to anyone else?  (Read 2431 times)

arronlowley

this happened to anyone else?
« on: November 07, 2015, 12:25:12 PM »

i made a post saying my max attenuation had dropped from 85000 to 71000 in one hit, today i did a speedtest and i was back to 80mbps, however... my hg612 reported my max was still only 71000 but i was connected at 80000 and my snr was 3 :S, was this done by dlm? because i reset the modem after and now im back down to 71000 sync with a retrain reason of 2 -_-.
my snr has never been 3 and i thought the only way for it to be 3 is if its set.

ive just remembered, our who area had a massive power cut on Thursday late at night, could this have been the reason?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:33:07 PM by arronlowley »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: this happened to anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 12:45:49 PM »

Max Attenuation is a calculated value by the modem. (So I believe)
This has happened to me but not by such a high margin.
The indicator that you need to watch is the snrm which drops to try to maintain the speed you had.
Usually, at some point DLM jumps in to resync the line.
I have dropped to circa 3 but FEC's increased greatly and DLM eventually 'fixed' the problem :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:03:47 PM »

I think you both mean Max Attainable, not Max Attenuation. The most likely explanation is that the modem reconnected when the power was restored after the power cut, before other users came online to create a lot of crosstalk. So it connected at the higher speed with an SNRM of 6 dB, but the SNRM then dropped later on as other users came online.
  Eric

arronlowley

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

my bad i meant max attainable, is retrain reason 2 related to dlm? i still have  g.inp, i thought that when crosstalk affected you that your line attenuation increases but mine hasnt, and bt's speed estimate still says i can get 80, they best change  it because its clearly wrong.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 02:10:14 PM »

You can see a list of retrain codes here: http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,12504.0.html
You can see that code 2 means that the SNRM dropped below zero.

There's no reason why an increase in crosstalk should increase the reported line attenuation. Both line attenuation and signal attenuation are values calculated by the modem, and we don't really know what the formulae are.
  Eric

arronlowley

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:32:32 PM »

ahhh, i got reason 2 when i rebooted the modem

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:46:47 PM »

I think you both mean Max Attainable, not Max Attenuation. The most likely explanation is that the modem reconnected when the power was restored after the power cut, before other users came online to create a lot of crosstalk. So it connected at the higher speed with an SNRM of 6 dB, but the SNRM then dropped later on as other users came online.
Correct, autocorrect again on a phone.
Must learn to type or stop using a phone to reply.  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 04:26:26 AM »

yeah and to add to what eric said I imagine the others connected only mere seconds after you so the brief higher snrm was probably not plotted.

anything