Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CCTV Data Usage  (Read 2738 times)

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
CCTV Data Usage
« on: August 20, 2015, 01:05:42 AM »

I have some IP CCTV Cameras, nothing special but they work very well, but I'm now trying to find out how much data say just one of them would consume if left running 24/7.

I do have access to the VM SuperHub Modem/Router, but I can't find any indication what I'm actually using.

If I set one of them to record it uses approximately 50MB per 30 minutes, but that is on my own home internal Wi-Fi and not over the WWW internet, would that 50MB be a rough indication of what the camera would require when transmitting over the internet?

Basically I am thinking of placing one in my holiday home where Wi-Fi is included with the management fees, but obviously any excessive use would not be tolerated.

If I were to connect one direct to the computer with a RJ45 lead and view the stats through say Netlimiter, again would that be fairly accurate data usage reading?

Thanks

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: CCTV Data Usage
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 02:37:08 AM »

Cannot really answer your question but thought I would ask one instead.  ;D

Can your CCTV camera be setup to take snapshots on a timed loop instead of recording ?

I know some cameras allow you to take a still photograph say once every 5 minutes (Timing is variable) rather than continuous video.
This would reduce your data volume greatly and you could switch to video recording if you saw anything that was of concern.

Just an idea.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »

Hi AA,

No unfortunately they are not sophisticated enough for that, although it can take snaps but not on a pre-set time basis.
Although they do have a few settings such as movement detection, so maybe that might be the solution, except I wanted to view the camera from a remote location, but not just on the occasion which something might have activated it.

But I was playing around with NetLimiter last night, and maybe for the first time in all the years of using it I discovered the Local Network settings, but that is showing more than the recorded segments, so the recordings do not have any indication on what is being used/transmitted, the reading at the moment the download speed averages about 415KB, (0.54MB/sec) maybe someone can confirm, but it looked as if it used about 300MB in roughly 15minutes.

So on that basis it will not be feasible for what I want to do, but any further input will be welcomed.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:17:38 PM »

Still looking for any input from anyone who might be able to give some advice.

anything