Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband Checker  (Read 10327 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Broadband Checker
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:43:26 PM »

The Broadband Checker (formerly adslchecker) has had a major overhaul.
It now provides more up to date information about LLU providers and also includes FTTC line data for BTw based lines.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Broadband Checker
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »

Because info comes from the BTwholesale database it unfortunately doesnt contain FTTC info for Sky/TT based lines. 
Ive had to fall back on postcode info and implement a few hacks for DSL line data.  - Hence the new additional processing step which asks for confirmation.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 05:50:55 PM »

says my exch is mkt3. Isn't that descrip OOD?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »

Because info comes from the BTwholesale database it unfortunately doesnt contain FTTC info for Sky/TT based lines. 
Ive had to fall back on postcode info and implement a few hacks for DSL line data.  - Hence the new additional processing step which asks for confirmation.

Appears to operate correctly and displays what information it can for my LLU (TT) circuit.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 06:52:32 PM »

It gives correct information for my line.
  Eric

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »

I don't get any FTTC info for our non bt line at work.

For non BT lines, or any line you can get pretty accurate information from the full address, this can be retrieved quite easily from the wholesale checker using just the postcode, and you could get the user to choose their address from the returned address list, then retrieve the speed estimates.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 01:59:36 AM »

Cheers ronski for the suggestion - appreciated.

Ive been fighting code for months to get this working with the BTw API.  It really doesnt seem to like non BTw based data.  I've even alerted Sam but his checker is also having the same issue.  In fact its worse than mine as it will give you false results for LLU lines :(

Try using https://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker for a non BTw based line.
If you put in a non-BTw phone no OR postcode and non-BTw phone no... it will tell you.

FTTC is not yet available in your area

I did actually try calling a separate address based request to the API for non FTTC lines, but it still only returns a generic "FTTC is available in your area" and no actual FTTC line speed data.  I have a basic unpretty one which returns nothing useful only xml data array containing no speeds

Again look how Sam's wont return anything either.  We have both hit the same issue :(

It literally has taken months to get it doing what it does.  I saw no point in coding a separate front page for address based system that still wont play properly. 
The 'hack' I implemented is actually doing quite a lot in the background to ensure that it doesn't send back false results.  No joke there's hundreds of lines of code just to catch the LLU lines and force separate requests to get DSL data and not throw false FTTC results, thats what the second call is hiding and why there is now the additional step to complete.

Ive been playing with this on and off for well over a year without any success so the option was do what Sam has and still get no line info and let it send false results for PostCode and Tel....  or the hack that I finally settled on which doesnt give false info and still only returns the same result.  I saw no point in holding off any further and just released what I could.  :-\
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 02:05:13 AM »

Even their own checker goes odd for LLU lines and wont always return FTTC line data on postcode alone.
All the examples are on my brothers LLU line who currently has circa 60Mbps FTTC.

B*cat was my other LLU tester and I think he should be able to attest that a workaround has taken some time to get something halfway decent for FTTC.

PS.
I even looked at attempting something else, but BTw have even been clever about that too. :(  I'll PM you.
-----

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:12:20 AM »

Using the postcode only checker will never give an accurate result as a postcode can be covered by multiple cabinets. You have to use the address, or district and NAD codes.

If you enter just a post code into the full address checker it will return a list of addresses for that postcode allowing the user to select their address and thus get the details required.

Kitz you have a PM  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »

B*cat was my other LLU tester and I think he should be able to attest that a workaround has taken some time to get something halfway decent for FTTC.

Indeed, I can confirm it has taken quite a while.

It is publicly known that The Cattery is located in Bury St Edmunds, so at any time you wish to use my telephone number and post code for testing you are welcome to do so, without the need to obscure the exchange (EABSE) or PCP number (P28).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:29:31 PM »

Have just run the broadband checker with just the telephone number it shows my location as just off the coast of Nigeria  :lol:

It works well with both telephone number and postcode inputs

dambuilder

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »

Looks like it defaults to zero latitude zero longitude.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:49:08 PM »

Well done DB  :thumbs: i would have missed that.

dambuilder

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 07:52:31 PM »

Well done DB  :thumbs: i would have missed that.

It's my boy scout training  :cool:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 09:56:27 PM »

Kitz you have a PM  :)

Thank you vm ronski.   I now have a plan.  Will need time to implement and code it :)

Well done that man - you are correct.   If a post-code isnt entered then the map doesnt know your location, so google maps always defaults to 0,0, lat & long.  The alternative would be enforcing putting in a postcode...  which I may do anyhow on the next version.

-----

anything