Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Upload speed dropped - now trying to make sense of stats trying to recover it  (Read 9408 times)

simmotech

Sometime between 16th July and 2nd August, my upload speed dropped noticeably (speednet chart attached) for some reason and hasn't come back. I used to get 2MB/s uploads to my backup sever now its just over half of that. Download speed has dropped a little too.

Whilst dealing with PlusNet, who tried to palm me off with standard the-upload-speed-still-within-acceptable-limits-so-nothing-we-can-do response, I realized that I am still confused with all the terminology so I thought I'd ask here since you guys know what you are talking about.

GEA Test Detail
DownstreamSpeed = 51.6 Mbps/Upstream Speed = 12.4Mbps;
(pretty straightforward and I'm reasonable sure it used to be 54 download and 18 or 19 upload - I have SpeedTest records on my iphone of 18.5Mbs upload)

Bridge Tap/Radio Frequency Ingress/Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise - all as "Not Detected"
Now does that mean that they didn't test for those things OR they tested and no problems were found?
And if it is the latter, does that mean I should be looking at figures for FTTC Range A (Clean) rather than FTTC Range B (Impacted)

ProfileName=0.128M-54M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
The downstream doesn't tally with the bands listed at http://community.plus.net/library/browsing/fttc-dlm-what-it-is-how-it-works/
Have they been superseded?

BRAS Profile = adsl35000
What does the 35000 signify?

Radius:
BT Estimates: 54900
WP Product: WBC FTTC Annex A 20Mbit/s Up, 80Mbit/s Down, Standard Stability
WP Profile: Generic Speed 49800
Ellacoya: Service_Offer_66

What is a WP Profile? (percentage of sync speed?) and how does it tally with ProfileName

I tried the switch the modem off and left it for a couple of hours before reconnecting it and the upstream Sync has gone up to 13.0Mbps (PN support happened to send me another report) so I was rather hoping the DLM was stuck and the restart will over a few days get speeds back to where they used to be. Am I being over optimistic?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

<snip>

BRAS Profile = adsl35000
What does the 35000 signify?

<snip>

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

I'm sure that someone familiar with the ways of Plusnet will be able to help with your other questions but in the meantime I can explain the above.

BRAS -- Broadband Remote Access Server

Why the number is prefixed with adsl?  :-\  I haven't a clue.

35000 is a reference to 35000 kbps, i.e. 35 Mbps.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Terranova667

The how it works guide on Plusnet is way out of date it does not include any of the updated DLM profiles never mind G.INP which you have enabled, Retransmission in your profile name is a sign of G.INP it would say interleaving if it wasn't G.INP enabled, the guide should be updated but like anything with Plusnet these days you might as well wait until hell freezes over.

simmotech

Thanks for the replies.

OK, so there are different bands now and mine is currently "0.128M-54M".
Is the 54M an artificial limit of some sort? Is there not a "0.128M-80M" band which means just go as high as you can?

Plusnet have now decided that
"Upload is under the 80% threshold we would deem as acceptable. If the customer is using our modem with no extensions. Then the next step is an SFI to see why the upload has dropped."
I've no idea why they changed their stance but I'm not complaining!

Since the problem is the sync speed, and not "internal wiring, faulty equipment or damaged BT equipment inside the property", I doubt I will be charged £50 so I'm getting a freebie engineer visit.

What should I be doing to make the most of it?

Is there anything I can do modem-wise? I currently have a ECI B-FOCuS V-2FUb Rev.B currently from 12/2012.
I believe Huawei are generally better but it might depend on what's in the cabinet.
Can I buy one of these? Or bribe the OpenReach engineer with tea and buns?

Edit: Just checked my cabinet using the very helpful info on this site: KINGS LANGLEY is served by Cabinet 8, 2.169km, 100%, vendor is Huawei.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:14:01 PM by simmotech »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Now does that mean that they didn't test for those things OR they tested and no problems were found?

It means not found.  The system does very basic remote checks.  They do sometimes do pull things up but for obvious reasons they cannot be as accurate as if an Openreach engineer was stood in your home with a JDSU.  It doesnt detect all cases of REIN nor all interference from inside the home.

ProfileName=0.128M-54M Downstream, Retransmission High - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low

That is your DLM profile.  These profiles have recently changed

BRAS Profile = adsl35000

That is your IP profile.  Again recently changed for those lines with g.inp

35000 indicates 35Mbps. Which seems rather odd considering you are able to get 51Mbps speeds.   That is supposed to indicate the maximum speed which your line can download at. 
The record  changes each time you resync, so it indicates the possibility of a bad sync recently :(

What is a WP Profile?

Guessing that is WorkPlace.   Workplace is what they call their system that holds all users accounts.  Not certain but I thought their profile was supposed to closely match the BT IPprofile, but again can lag 

hmmmm are you having a lot of resyncs by any chance?   :hmm:

---
edited to fix quote tags
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 06:54:17 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

simmotech

hmmmm are you having a lot of resyncs by any chance?   :hmm:
I don't believe so, sessions are long and stable.

I've just read the mega thread about G.INP and since I have an ECI modem on a Huawei cabinet and, if I've understood it correctly, I might have the ECI Modem Issue 2.
I'm hoping the OR has a Huawei in the van to replace mine and will do a DLM Reset to try to break that 54 profile which seems artificial (I'm sure it has been and can go higher).
Failing that I might buy a Billion router/modem so I can at least see what is going on even though my Dlink 868-L is working well and I managed to configure it (no mean feat for a network numpty like me) so that WIFI via 2.4GHZ gives me UK Netflix and via 5Ghz gives me US Netflix.

simmotech

OR just left (next day service! Thanks PlusNet!)

He arrived with a new ECI modem and so I asked about a Huawei modem and he found two unboxed ones on the van.

He installed the first, did a DLM reset and fast test and it returned 13DL and 5.5UL  :(

He tried the second and it returned 55DL and 15UL according to his test results - better than what I had but the U/L still lower than I was hoping for.

But a SpeedTest.Net showed virtually  the same result that I already had - upload maybe 0.5Mbps higher.
The speedtest.btwholesale.com also shows exactly the same as before - 49.99 max achievable DL & 47.69 actual.  ???

So I'll wait to see if/where his new figures show up when PlusNet run another of their diagnostics. I don't know whether DLM will change profiles though.

On the plus side, I believe this type of modem can be unlocked so I will read the unlocking thread and have a go as long as it doesn't involve soldering!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

No soldering needed :)

simmotech

I have had DSLStats running for 2 days. I don't understand a lot of it but I notice that :-
1) my DL speed was 55000kbps and the max attainable was 67000kps
2) G.INP wasn't ON
3) The QLN graph showed the mid-UL band differently to other samples I saw on these forums - was upturned like a pair of tits.

At 9.18 this morning I noticed that:-
a) the download suddenly jumped up to 64000 and the max attainable dropped to slightly below that.  :)
b) G.INP is now ON  :)
c) Pings dropped from >20ms to 5-7ms  :)
d) Speednet still showed pretty much the same speeds before this change apart from the ping dropping :(
e) Retrain reason is '1' - was that PlusNet initiated or DLM or something else?

So is there any stats I can upload for you guys to try to find out why my upload is still 30% lower?

Also, I am still confused about the difference between a PlusNet profile and an OR profile. Can I ask them to change the PlusNet profile to '0.128M-80M' to try and get past that 54 profile limit?

tommy45

• Reg Member

Plusnet and other isp's don't have any control over the connection , the retrain reason one was down to DLM applying G.inp it's possible that PN's somewhat of a hinderence  Shadow IP profile is restricting your throughput because it hasn't updated like it  allegedly is supposed to do,

You  can either wait for an indefinite period of time to see if it updates by itself  or  if you don't want to wait, you could ring the tech support and ask them to manually update it, don't be fobbed off by them, as some will use lame, or lies for excuses not to do this
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:22:00 PM by tommy45 »

simmotech

Thanks.

What is the purpose of a Shadow IP Profile? And how does it differ from the DLM's IP Profile?

AArdvark

• Kitizen

What is the purpose of a Shadow IP Profile?

A very good question  ;D

Considering that the standard response is 'it is set by the Profile DLM sets', I am not sure of its benefit (to me).
(I suspect it has some benefit to Plusnet but don't know what.)

simmotech

Attached are two charts which may be relevant.

The SNRPerTone shows the UL is much lower than DL - just difference in power?

The QLN shows UL1 lower than the general trend and UL2 higher. I don't whether higher or lower readings are better but surely one of UL1 or UL2 must be wrong.?

WWWombat

• Kitizen

What is the purpose of a Shadow IP Profile? And how does it differ from the DLM's IP Profile?

BT kinda require that every ISP pays attention to BT's IP profile value, and that they self-enforce the download speed to match. If ISPs did that, BT would get less congestion in their network. Not every ISP seem to do this, and those that do use different techniques.

Plusnet's edge routers enforce this, using a copy of the IP profile held by Plusnet - a so-called "shadow IP" (though Plusnet don't call it that).

Plusnet's copy of the IP profile used to be visible within their member centre portal, but they've recently taken away the link, making it hard to see. It is visible here:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

As you can expect, you can only achieve a proper download speed if both BT's copy and Plusnet's copy say the same thing, and are the right value for your sync speed. Unfortunately, PN's copy has a habit of being out of date by a few hours (at best) or never being corrected automatically (at worst).

If PN's copy is too low, and it likely would be straight after a DLM reset, then you will see no improvement to your actual speedtest results.

If it is wrong, and doesn't appear to be fixed automatically, you probably want to go to PN's community forum and ask for an update.

Also, I am still confused about the difference between a PlusNet profile and an OR profile. Can I ask them to change the PlusNet profile to '0.128M-80M' to try and get past that 54 profile limit?

This is a line profile, and PN don't have their own copy; this report just tells you what Openreach's profile is. PN can't ask for it to be changed, just like they can't ask for a DLM reset.

If you've had a DLM reset since you last got a report from PN, then the profile will have initially changed to a "-80M" one; it might have subsequently changed down again, before finally changing yet again to allow G.INP.

simmotech

I'm now on "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" as you said would happen from the DLM reset but G.INP is already on for downstream (and working well squashing 4.6M FECs/day to give ES=0)

I asked in my Plusnet ticket about their "Shadow IP profile" and got this response:-
I reviewed your case today and there is no fault on the circuit. The profile you was (sic) referring to is a profile set by our suppliers system. Since the engineer reset your circuit it has removed any profile restrictions, if any restrictions were acting on the line.

The hidden link still shows 53.2Mb though which seems to correspond better with my SpeedTest results of ~51Mb over the 63637kbps sync speed. I'll prod them to get it updated.

I am still at only 2/3 of previous upload sync though and Plusnet have washed their hand of it quoting the Low figure of the FTTC Range B (Impacted) of 11.5 and me being just above that. Completely ignored previous SpeedTest results from July showing 17/18 uploads even over Wifi but what can you do.
Pages: [1] 2