Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Radio4 Today Peter Cochrane on broadband August 2015  (Read 1781 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Radio4 Today Peter Cochrane on broadband August 2015
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:00:04 AM »

Thank you!

Loved it.
I am sure BT didn't  ;D :D

Unfortunately, in most non-rural locations that is the problem. No access.
As we know in some rural places like 'B4RN' laying your own fibre is doable if people work together. Access is via your neighbours.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »

What an absolutely bizarre interview.

A pretty accurate start, with the history of the government wanting competition from cable companies (though no link to the present, about where the presence of competition has brought us).

In the middle, Peter then starts to go for the jugular ... about how fibre is the only possibility for the future, and how it is totally impossible to rely on a "2 century old technology". How farmers are digging it for themselves.

But at the end, he loses the plot, and advocates a whole host of start-ups who will give a hybrid fibre-wireless setup.

The last point is perfectly sensible, perfectly practical ... but it utterly destroys his earlier argument.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:18 PM »

Nutty.

A nightmare vision. A chaotic load of self-appointed monopoly telcos. No way should public money be be given to create monopolies, and we need backhaul behind last-mile services ehich has to come from somewhere. I think the current wholesale model is the right one, with BT providing a coordinated national joined-up service whilst we still have our choice of ISP.

Locally there have been many instances where the government has created monopolies, several exchanges had a Scotnet-or-nothing 500k ADSL service, a bloody disgrace. In the Western Isles there was (is?) a monopoly slow and expensive RF service which attracted a heap of complaints. I was considering buying a house there and was dreading the lack of proper connectivity.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:14:30 AM »

The two-century thing intrigued me, so I went looking...

First commercial telegraph system looks to have been 1837, for railways comms between Euston and Camden. This failed to win the contract, losing to a pneumatic+whistle system!

First transatlantic telegraph line was 1858, though it only worked for a few weeks (at 0.1 words per minute). A durable replacement happened in 1866, working at 8 words per minute.

Surprisingly, the first transatlantic telephone cable only happened 100 years later, 1956, with 36 channels, carried over coax pairs.

As ever, bandwidth development over the material seems to be key, not the material itself.