Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.  (Read 36645 times)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: TalkTalk hit by cyber hack attack.
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »

TalkTalk wouldn't let us out of our contract despite us having an unresolved fault open since June and our data being stolen.

An absolute joke of a company.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #151 on: November 09, 2015, 08:11:02 AM »

To be honest none of this is a surprise, I expect their lawyers have advised that there contracts are enforceable in the majority of cases and the board has to consider shareholders who have taken a hit on share price. If they let everyone go for free who wanted to go the company would possibly collapse and that ends up putting people out of work. I know what happened was not right and that their system had old bugs which should have been fixed but that is incompetance which does not necessarily invalidate the contracts.

Now we know what has been taken if you stop to think about it then actually nothing much has been taken that could not be obtained in many other ways albeit perhaps with more inconvenience and certainly more slowly. How many people are in the phone book? That gives your name address and phone number. How many times do you use a credit/debit card and how careful are you with how and where you use it, some will do but many 1000's dont. A lot of people still use cheques, that gives sort code and account number as does filling in forms in shops for DDs etc - are you being watched?

So bottom line here is yes TT have been incompetent and this should not have been able to happen as easily as it did, however there is no such thing as 100% security, and people need to remember that. If you are not sure who it is on the other end of the phone simply hang up and call the company yourself perhaps using a different phone. Simple things can keep you safer. Also remember to shred (using a cross-cut shredder) all personal paperwork you throw away.

And finally I have no relationship with TT other than being a customer.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

phi2008

• Reg Member
« Reply #152 on: November 09, 2015, 11:25:54 AM »

Boy arrested over TalkTalk hacking sues newspapers for privacy breach

Lawyers take action taken against Sun, Daily Mail and Telegraph over claims they identified minor accused of breaking into mobile provider’s network

A teenage boy arrested over the TalkTalk hacking breach is suing three national newspapers over an alleged breach of his privacy.

Lawyers for the 15-year-old are taking legal action against The Sun, Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph over allegations they identified the minor accused of breaking into the mobile and broadband provider’s data network.

The Daily Telegraph named the boy on its website after he was arrested at his home in County Antrim. The minor’s name was later removed.

Google and Twitter have also been named in a legal action at Belfast high court again over an alleged breach of the boy’s privacy. Details emerged over the weekend about the privacy case after a judge lifted reporting restrictions.

The boy was interviewed by detectives from the Metropolitan police and the Police Service of Northern Ireland on suspicion of offences under the Computer Misuse Act before being released on bail.

Since then the boy’s lawyers have issued writs claiming negligence, misuse of private information, defamation, breach of confidence and data protection.

In court on Friday, the boy’s lawyers claimed his family has had to move home as a result of the publicity surrounding his arrest and identification by the three papers and online. A barrister for the boy said the content contributed to his client being “stigmatised” within his community.

Lawyers acting for the Daily Mail rejected allegations that the paper had identified the boy. They argued that the newspaper had taken steps to alter the boy’s appearance and even change the colour of his hair from a photograph of him that was posted online.

Reporting restrictions were lifted late on Friday after Google and Twitter agreed to remove information about the boy from its networks.

An order prohibiting the publication of any material that could lead to the boy being identified remains in place. This includes his name, address, images or any other material about his appearance. The case is due to be heard again next month.

During coverage of the boy’s arrest last month, the Guardian took the decision not to follow other news organisations online who were publishing details about the boy, including his name.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/nov/08/talktalk-hacking-boy-arrested-sues-newspapers-privacy

Very strange they should make the mistake of naming him ... in the Sun's case actually on their front page.   ::)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #153 on: November 09, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »

It was no mistake!!
It was calculated to sell more papers.
After all the 'pain' the newspapers have been through over the last few years they would not be making simple mistakes.
They probably thought they could get away with it as the person was too busy dealing with the fall out of being arrested.
Nothing like a little bit of contempt for people, to sell newspapers.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #154 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

This whole issue is just fundamentally wrong, on so many levels...

Wrong that hackers committed their crimes.
Wrong that TT allowed it to happen.
Wrong that it's still quite hard to figure out how many folks are actually affected, and to what levels of risk.
Wrong of the media to 'drum it up' for a good story and report it as they have done, including identifying a child as a suspect.

Sometimes, I despair.   :(

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #155 on: November 09, 2015, 12:54:31 PM »

It is also interesting it is the 'Sun' that has 'Slipped up'.  :o :o

It looks as though the 'old ideas' have returned and the papers no longer have to pretend to be contrite.
Lets see how this one pans out with the new and improved regulation of the press.  ;D ;)

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »

It looks like TT are now going to bribe their customers with goodies! I just had a letter saying none of my personal details or significant financial data was taken in this last attack, although it must have been in previous attacks judging by the number of spam phone calls we have had over the past months!

Now during December they are offering:-

A huge range of TV content,
    including movies, kids entertainment and sports
or
    A mobile SIM,
    with a monthly allowance of free texts, data and calls
or
    Unlimited UK landline and mobile calls
or   
    A broadband health check
    by our experienced engineers

and apparently they are not extending anyone's term of contract with any of this, although the exact detail is yet to come.

Stuart

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2015, 06:36:20 PM »

I had a TT flyer in the post yesterday, offering half price packages for the duration of the contract. Unlimited fibre with TV and SIM was about £17.50 per month. I didn't study the details.
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:35 PM »

Why is it TalkTalk won't take on non LLU customers ?  :(

jid

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »

Why is it TalkTalk won't take on non LLU customers ?  :(

They can make more money from LLU customers using their own equipment, as opposed to paying BT to use their systems to provide customers with a phone service and broadband etc. When they have full control of equipment and backhaul, its cheaper.
Kind Regards
Jamie

BT FTTP - 75meg | Sky Q |  Bridgend Weather

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2015, 11:57:33 PM »

To me, it seems as if nothing is yet restored or fixed.  :(

I have cleared the browser cache and deleted every TalkTalk cookie but still only receive the following screen (split into two screen-scrapes, attached below) when I go to --

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #161 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:48 AM »

To me, it seems as if nothing is yet restored or fixed.  :(

I have cleared the browser cache and deleted every TalkTalk cookie but still only receive the following screen (split into two screen-scrapes, attached below) when I go to --

https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/

Yes it is down again at the moment, it did come up because I signed in and changed my password. Just shows how incompetent they are in my view.

Stuart

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2015, 04:43:02 PM »

It was back and accessible, a couple of hours ago, this afternoon . . .  :)

Let's see how long it lasts, this time!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]