Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Radio 4 Interview with BT Openreach's chief executive Joe Garner (video)  (Read 5584 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen

An interview with Openreach's chief executive Joe Garner from BBC Radio 4's Today Programme.

Video on BBC news site
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33957405

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Interesting that he essentially bashed the contractors...

stevebrass

• Reg Member

Lots of use of the expression of "superfast broadband" but no definition of it.
Netgear Orbi; BT FTTP with Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen

With complaints about the contractors being so common (you know who I mean  ;D )
It would be impossible for it not to be known throughout BT Openreach.
They have simply factored the level of complaints against the cost, obviously the cost (financial) is still good enough to keep using them.
When the balance moves the wrong side of profitable they will be dropped like a 'hot potatoe'.
All standard practice with larger companies when they need to boost head count to get a job done but don't want to permanently boost staff count.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Thanks for sharing this :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen

A mostly reasonable interview.

Its a shame about the last point, on whether it was technically difficult or financially difficult, got munged. Joe got led into talking about the final 1-2%, but the interviewer changed focus to harangue about city centres without confirming whether those city centres would be in that final 1-2%.

Opportunity lost to talk about value for money there.

renluop

• Kitizen

^^^

Even I with my tech limitations found the presenter annoying. Had he done any research???

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

I think the contractors idea was BT / OR's idea to save money.

But it seems there must be now significant complaints about contractors for it now to be an issue.

When Kelly's came to my house, all he really did was plug the HH5 in to the cable that I had laid down, wait for it to connect, then he was off. I am on Infinity 2, so I thought there would be more effort put in on behalf of the installer. I could have done what he did, as I think 90% of people could. So it was a waste of time.

I think we on the forum could do a better job than Kelly's.. What about calling us Kitz Kittens? :)
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Even I with my tech limitations found the presenter annoying. Had he done any research???

One of the things that I picked up from the video that the presenter came across as exceedingly bored and not even listening to any of Joe's responses.   
Watch his body language particularly in the first few minutes. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP

wow that interviewer was pretty good, wasnt accepting the trash answers.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Radio 4 Interview with BT Openreach's chief executive Joe Garner (video)
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 08:44:37 AM »

Son of newsreader Peter Woods

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 08:46:52 AM »

One of the things that I picked up from the video that the presenter came across as exceedingly bored and not even listening to any of Joe's responses.   

I don't think he was bored, I just think he was bored of listening to the PR answers...

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:14:01 PM »

I heard rather than saw the interview on Today, so body language didn't come in to it. At my vintage memory doesn't last long :( but the interviewer seemed lacking on the matter of town and exchange lines.

anything