Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Weaver's checklist - changes to make that could improve your speed and reliability  (Read 3571 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

I have already made all these changes for my ultra-long lines (ADSL1). Some of these items will not necessarily help _you_ as you may have no problem to fix or a much stronger signal, but they won't hurt.

the list, in no particular order
--
* Ferrites on dc power cables (might do nothing at all)
* RJ-11 cable, best quality, v short - Tandy / adslnation
* Mains cables away from other cables
* Mains filtering and conditioning (esp. if using a UPS)
* Good faceplate microfilter aka SSFP, no danglies
* Correct faceplate filter choice for service type, maybe avoid BT Mk3
* No extensions, or no phones
* If you absolutely must have extensions, make sure they are prefiltered in the faceplate
* Don't put the modem on an extension! Rather, move the router if a separate unit or better still move the NTE5

* Modem change?

* NTE5 placement, and length of internal BT Openreach wiring

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:58:00 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Explanations / elaborations will follow in this thread.

This will save me from repeating the same advice again and again.

I can't pretend that every item has been subject to proper scientific testing, but most of the items are very low-cost changes.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I would cross ferrites off the list, unless you really understand their technical characteristics. There are numerous different ferrite materials, with differing characteristics, and they need to be specified for the particular requirement. If you just pick one from a catalogue, the most likely outcome is that it will do nothing, otherwise it's just as likely to make things worse as to make things better.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@roseway  - ferrites on dc cable?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Perhaps you could help with split ring ferrite spec, as a < 50Hz low-pass filter is all that's required.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

I'm afraid I don't have the expertise. I was just making the point that ferrites are not any sort of panacea, and they need to be selected appropriately for the job. Just fitting any convenient split-ring ferrite over the cable is not likely to achieve anything significant.
  Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@ I completely agree with you about the ferrites, might well do nothing at all as there's no problem to fix besides the spec issue you mentioned.

JGO

• Reg Member

I'm afraid I don't have the expertise. I was just making the point that ferrites are not any sort of panacea, and they need to be selected appropriately for the job. Just fitting any convenient split-ring ferrite over the cable is not likely to achieve anything significant.

If the aim is to attenuate pickup on a cable they can be very iffy, since as there is a standing wave their effect will be position -  and wavelength dependent ! 

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@jgo - No, not trying to attenuate pickup. Just trying to drop noise coming out of PSU itself or from a nasty UPS.

Warning, Weaver is hopeless on electronics yet holds a degree in Theoretical Physics, a toxic brew of ignorance.  ;D ;D ;D :'(

I placed my ferrites at both ends of the dc cable, as close to the ends as I could.

As for interference pickup, perhaps there's something intelligent that could be done with bundling or wrapping the cable up so as to minimise its ability to act as an effective aerial?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:31:08 AM by Weaver »

anything