Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Woes with HomeHub 5 and HG612 :(  (Read 13011 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Woes with HomeHub 5 and HG612 :(
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 06:58:44 PM »

If the HG612 syncs lower than the Home Hub, I am thinking the OP has an ECI cabinet and is using a Home Hub Type A.

caveat - That is not always the case and there is no hard and fast rule.
As you likely know the HH5B contains a BCM 63268 chipset. The HG612 contains a BCM 6368 chipset.

On many/most lines the BCM 63*68 series can eke out a bit more sync than the BCM 6368.  I think most on here using VMG8324, 8800NL, EE BB2 or VR900 will confirm that.  Im on an ECI and for me the BCM6368 gives 3.5Mbps more than a Lantiq and the BCM63268 another 3-3.5Mpbs on top of that.

Ive seen HH5Bs give more sync than HH5As, but admittedly the time when the Lantiqs do seem to come into their own is on the longer lines.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:06 PM »

b*cat is just about to eat his evening meal . . . so this will be brief.

I believe SimonS* mentioned being located just outside the M25 and a little later on he mentioned Surrey. If he is within the catchment area for Walter's Wheelbarrow, it might prove advantageous to request a visit by Walter:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 07:32:07 PM »

Interesting. You may have some luck upgrading the firmware on the HG612 to the latest B030SP08. But other than that you should investigate whether your connection is running under optimal conditions, no noise, no faults, etc. I can't see changing your modem will give you substantial extra speed that would justify the cost, to be honest.

SimonSays

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »

OK - this is getting more and more intriguing... Walter's Wheelbarrow? Am I being recruited by MI5...?! I'm on Godstone exchange (NDGOD), and located not far (but too far) away.

Perhaps more will be revealed once B*Cat has eaten and watch Countryfile? :)

I'll add FW update to the HG612 to the list of easy wins.

Still no idea why the HH5 automatically gets more than the modem only, though..?

Kitz - note that my ECI modem does no better than the HG612, though...

In any event, you are all being extremely helpful and I am very grateful!

S

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 08:34:58 PM »

<Burp!> (Discreetly.)   :yum:

Walter trundles his wheelbarrow around a catchment area of the Surrey hills that is more or less centred upon Ewhurst. Optimisation of internal wiring, help in choosing the best modem/router, fault finding, getting the best xDSL service out of long lines, etc, are just a few of the tasks that are undertaken.

As there is only one Godstone (Surrey) exchange, OLO designator NDGOD, it does seem as if it might be worth making contact with Walter.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2015, 08:41:31 PM »

As has already been discussed certain chips do work best on certain lines...  so I'll try not to bore you any further on that subject  :D  and I'll attempt to answer your original questions.

As long as you have the latest firmware on the HG612, then there isnt any other way to push the HG612 to match the HH5.  Therefore I can fully understand why you wish to retain the HH5A as your modem and therefore this would be your best scenario HH5 -> 7800N

However there is a known issue with the HH5A where it does on occasion drop both wifi and dsl connection.   There was supposed to be a fix rolled out, but you still see the odd mention of it. 

What concerns me is Im unsure if when you attach the 7800N to the HH5A if you will still see the disconnection issue.  It will entirely depend on whether its modem or wifi related.

However since you already have this equipment, then there is certainly no harm in trying it and it may do the job.  :fingers:    Unfortunately I dont have a HH5A and no idea how to put it into modem only mode.   Perhaps one of the other guys can help you with this and tell you what you need to do.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2015, 08:46:09 PM »

The HH5 doesn't have a modem-only mode, DMZ is about the best you'll get.

SimonSays

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2015, 09:06:39 PM »

Thanks, all!

Dray - I guess the DMZ will act in a similar way to putting the HH5 and 7800 on different subnets, and have the static 7800 use the HH5 as gateway and DNS server...?

Anyhoo - I'm going to PM the mysterious Walter and wait to see if it's the CIA that message me back. I'm assuming that if I pass the initial test, I fill Walter's Wheelbarrow with some decent Ale, or a couple of full-bodied Reds?

Life would be much easier if I'd just live in a town like most other folk, of course :)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »

Yes, that's how I'd set it up - it works well, ignoring BTAgent's constant interference.

VDSL2User

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2015, 09:23:20 PM »

I too have been trying out a setup as follows :-

FTTC -> HH5 type A (192.168.2.x) -> DMZ -> ASUS RT-AC87U (192.168.1.x)

I connected HH5 gig port to ASUS WAN gig port, set ASUS WAN to IP Static address on HH5 subnet
with HH5 IP as default gateway.
I also set different DNS servers in ASUS which is something you can't do in native HH5.
On HH5 turned off Wi-Fi, DHCP and Firewall then set DMZ to be ASUS router device.
This at present is working very well with no noticeable increase in ping or drop in throughput and
I have been able to use the Thinkbroadband ping monitor (I have static internet address) without issue.
The HH5 is holding a good sync rate and has been up for a few hours so far, will see how long it lasts.
The only loss is full stats information but I am thinking what you can't see you can't worry about .....

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:25 PM »

Hi Everybody,

Just to say Walter's psychic wheelbarrow is being used remotely for now.

There's something very strange going on, unless it's just BT W database errors.
One of Simon's neighbours say 200 m closer to PCP 11 is estimated to have quite astonishing speeds for a line of probably just over 1.5 km.
I can only hope the figures are true and are the result of the good old GPO using over-sized conductors on a long line.

Kind regards,
Walter

SimonSays

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »

Many thanks for your help, Walter! I've fitted some of the revised hardware and dropped you an email...

Perhaps I need to swap out my neighbours' over-sized GPO conductors for the piddly little modern one I must be on. Bolt-cutters, Swiss Army knife and eye mask sneaking up to the green cabinet in the dead of night... :)

Simon

SimonSays

« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »

BTW, here's a set of results from the DSLReports speed checker:

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/1153196

Upstream has looked-up slightly overnight - now at a blistering 0.53Mb/s. I'm not expecting to be running a datacentre from home anytime soon, but it's a noticeable improvement for very little effort (Mk2 filter, shielded RJ11 cable)!

S

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:28 AM »

Did you manage to update to the latest firmware on the HG612?
When I was running the older firmware I noticed a lot slower connection until I was advised to upgrade on here.

You have to do the firmware upgrade the same way you put the hacked firmware on as it won't update through the HG612 interface.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything