Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Apple car  (Read 16954 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Apple car
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 10:14:49 AM »

I agree mostly with Chunkers, except computers can and will go wrong (even Apple ones), obviously you can have back up systems but these failures could lead to accidents.

As Chunkers points out many modern cars have lane guidance and collision avoidance technologies, we will get to self driving cars, but I think it will be a very long time before everyone has one instead of a traditional car.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:21 AM »

I actually think we will never get to the stage of everyone having a self-driving car, mainly because some people actually enjoy driving but also because some folks (like Mrs Broadstairs) who think that computers have ruined the world and we would all be better off if they had never been invented. I must admit that in some small ways I agree with her about ruining the world we live in.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 10:32:24 AM »

Best I'm allowing myself to hope for is for 'my generation', if we are lucky enough to live into 'proper' old age (say another 25 years), even if health issues crop up that stop us from driving, the technology might be available able to stay mobile and independent. :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 10:52:15 AM »

@Stuart, our posts crossed, so one further comment...

mainly because some people actually enjoy driving

Trouble is, I would bet a pound to a penny, not many will enjoy driving once autonomous cars are around.   My expectation is that Rural speed limits will be cut to 20-30mph wherever the cars are allowed and the few car parks that remain will be closed, on the justification that they are no longer needed.

Those who enjoy walking will also be in for a nasty surprise, it is widely expected that many of the autonomous pods will use the pavement, as did those trialled in MK last year.

I make these gloomy predictions as a person who still very much enjoys both driving and walking. :(

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 01:10:29 PM »

Now there's something which could take off,  self driving mobility scooters, and they would be safer!

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »

For ultimate road safety, consistent with best health befits, how about self-walking shoes? 

You'd just program them with destination, then relax and read a book as you stomp briskly across town, safe in the knowledge that you won't walk into a self-driving mobility scooter, or cross the road in front of a self-driving bus.   :D

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 03:44:04 PM »

LOL, good idea it would stop people on their phones walking into things  :lol:

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 05:23:13 PM »

LOL, good idea it would stop people on their phones walking into things  :lol:

More importantly it might stop them walking into ME  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 [2]

anything