Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A year without a summer  (Read 2918 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
A year without a summer
« on: August 15, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »

The weather has just been cold and often wet for the whole of this spring and summer so far. Weird. I'm definitely not complaining because I hate the heat, but my wife is cold and taking a hot water bottle to bed in August.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: A year without a summer
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 07:49:51 AM »

As a weather watcher it always interests me how people perceive weather. My wife is the opposite to yours she likes a 1 TOG duvet in what we call summer and a 4 TOG in winter, she also has a fan to cool her down and even has been known to use it in winter!

As to the real weather where we are it has not all been bad although we dont like the SW winds we have been getting as the sea is quite rough for bathing in our main bay. Sea temps this year are a degree or so cooler than last year although not bad (17.5°C at present) and because of our proximity to the sea our minimums right now are much above what people inland find, last night was 15.8°C. Actually looking at my records for August last year our temps have been slightly higher in August 2015 so far, rain wise it is difficult to predict how this August will compare as we often see summer storms in August which can make it look quite wet even though the number of rain days is not high.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:35 AM »

@broadstairs - Skye and the North West of Scotland is climatically at odds with England very often. With weather completely the reverse of what's going on down South. It has been really cold through the whole of the spring and summer months up here. Nothing much has wanted to grow, apart from in the greenhouse, and everything goes mad if we should get a sunny day or two.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »

Well that's a first, I put your location (from your profile) into Google Maps and it did not know it! Not Skye but the first part of it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:29:35 AM »

The wee township where I live is Heasta. (Norse) rhymes with hey-stir
Try Google with IV49 9BN. Streetview does a nice job, I'm very high up, 133 m above the sea.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 10:32:50 AM by Weaver »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »

I guess you don't get much problem with noisy neighbours. :)

Eric

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »

Next door neighbours are about 100m away. But it is often very noisy because the sheep fank is below the house, on the other side of the stream, and so there's a big racket from all the sheep and the men screaming and shouting at the sheepdogs. Not much traffic, a car every hour or so, as the road doesn't go anywhere else but just stops down at the shore.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »

Sounds like a wonderful location, even with the sheep etc.   ;D
Very jealous  ;D ;D ;D

Never been to Skye sounds interesting.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 02:17:08 PM »

So high up that I can see two seas, from my office window the Linne Shléiteach, the sea between Skye and the mainland to the east, and the mainland mountains, and to south the atlantic, the sea-loch Loch Eiseort. Looking to the west you see across the Atlantic out to the massive peaks on the Isle of Rum, Eilean Rùma.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 02:21:16 PM »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:18 PM »

Beautiful scenery.  I've never been to Skye either.

I'm afraid Im a bit of a sun lover so very disappointed in the weather this year.   
It's the first time I can ever recall that there have been the odd day in July and Aug where Ive had to turn the heating on in the evenings.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 12:22:11 AM »

I'm afraid Im a bit of a sun lover so very disappointed in the weather this year.   
It's the first time I can ever recall that there have been the odd day in July and Aug where Ive had to turn the heating on in the evenings.   

It's been opposite-odd here on the South Coast, over the last few months when rain was forecast, nothing would fall.  When others reported miserable weather, here's it's been sunny, or at worst overcast, but warm/hot with no rain.

It's only in the last 3 or 4 weeks there's been much in the way of rain.  Had months of very little.

Ian

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 12:41:29 AM »

It has been a crap summer and only noticed the swifts flying low over are garden and it's very close to meteorological autumn, the Bee count is low this year and a lack of wasps which was due to a cold spring and me  >:D

As for summer it was normal up here in the North don't expect to much or you will be disappointment that's what i have learnt over the past 40 odd years  ;)