Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Was it a mistake for BT to buy ECI?  (Read 5114 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Was it a mistake for BT to buy ECI?
« on: August 15, 2015, 05:30:13 PM »

What's the story with ECI cabinets?

Round-up. A lot has been written but it's scattered about.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Was it a mistake for BT to buy ECI?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 08:25:48 PM »

I'm stuck on an ECI cabinet.

I think it might have been a mistake to buy in to ECI. But then, as been pointed out on some other posts, BT did need to spread their bets by having more than one cabinet manufacturer. I guess they picked one that isn't that forward compatable.

Though I'm assuming there were more cabinet manufacturers out there to choose from?
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 09:09:23 PM »

Problem is that bean counters trump engineers.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »

Well I suppose then it could be said that FTTC was a mistake, since there are going to be some people who won't get very good speeds because they are quite a long distance away from their cabinet (of whichever brand), and that BT should have got on with rolling out FTTP everywhere instead.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 09:28:21 PM »

If all the BDUK cabinets are Huawei does that mean BT knew about the problem some time ago?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

Ah sure i remember a few years ago people saying you can get a higher sync on ECI modem & cab than on a Huawei modem & cab and said to myself it was a mistake to have this Huawei stuff.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »

Quote from: ejs link=topic
>  BT should have got on with rolling out FTTP everywhere instead.

A good point, half-copper is a complete waste of money as it will all have to be re-done anyway for FTTP when the government gets serious about crazy speed. The costs of all-fibre need to come down a bit first as they're possibly too scary for the powers that be at the moment?

It stikes me that BT is messing around with G.fast because copper is BT's reason to be, ownership of the last mile copper network, that's what separates BT from VastCorp and refers councils or government's thinking back to BT and the advantages that always stem from its inherited monopoly position. Until copper becomes a complete liability in a market thinking outside the old ways.

Unreliable, slow, lightning risk and unpredictable - great, let's use copper then, we can do some really clever tricks on it now.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 09:41:50 PM by Weaver »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »

If the ECI cabinets were cheaper, then presumably this would have made the commercial roll out stretch further. Otherwise, more areas might have had to wait for BDUK funding, which then would have had more area to cover. BT must have known the capabilities of the ECI kit they were buying.

However, it's also possible that the contents of the cabinets was a relatively small proportion of the total cost compared to laying all the fibre optic cables to connect up the cabinets. So replacing the hardware in the cabinets in a few years time might not be completely unthinkable. Especially as BT need to do something to address the issue of Virgin offering faster speeds.

I assume FTTC also took less time to deploy than full fibre would have.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 10:24:52 PM »

I believe what Openreach are trying to do is to have fibre closer to every home so that in the future running full fibre and FTTN, etc. is cheaper.

With full fibre they would have to run a line to each person which presumably would be more expensive than running it to one central point and then having multiple users order from that point.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 10:53:09 PM »

Especially as BT need to do something to address the issue of Virgin offering faster speeds.

Virgin is not everywhere.
As far as I can tell approx 50% coverage of the UK.

Does this put enough pressure on BT to be worried. ?
I am not sure it does.
I think a few vague 'leaks' of what is to come and general FUD will do them for now.
BT seem to be showing little indication that they are too bothered by Virgin.
That is unless I have missed something.  ;D

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:54:12 PM »

I honestly feel that without BDUK most areas would still be on normal broadband with no hope in sight.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 11:51:41 PM »

You'll find that a lot of the ECI cabs were installed during the late 2012 to late 2013 period.  Practically all cabs installed in 2013 were ECI's and by the end of the year I think the no of ECI's in use had practically caught up to the Huaweis which they'd been installing over the previous few years.   

I dont know if its any co-incidence or not that this period coincides exactly to when there were substantial fears over Huawei using their DSLAMs for spying.    iirc Australia banned any Huawei equipment in their broadband network after the CIA said they had found evidence of them doing this.  Google it and you'll find loads of info to judge for yourself.

I don't know or not if it is true or not that they were and I don't want to contribute to myths & conspiracies, but could this be one of the contributing reasons why BT suddenly switched.  BT also used to have a lot of Huawei stuff in their network, but a year or so ago they ordered and installed multiple hundreds of Alcatel kit.  It could/would have been due for upgrade anyhow as they were redoing the MSE bRAS..  but one of those things that just make you wonder because I for one certainly wouldn't be surprised if at the time the likes of GCHQ weren't asking BT questions.    Whatever the reason BT have always tended to use at least 2 different systems.

I believe what Openreach are trying to do is to have fibre closer to every home so that in the future running full fibre and FTTN, etc. is cheaper.

With full fibre they would have to run a line to each person which presumably would be more expensive than running it to one central point and then having multiple users order from that point.

I believe this too.  In fact Ive seen it mentioned by BT boffins that FTTC isnt wasted.   The major expense for BT (unlike B4RN) is the ducting and laying of fibre.  FTTdp is an extension of FTTC which should fit in with existing equipment.  Although expensive still much cheaper that FTTP.  The final 100-200m is considered the most expensive part,  particularly when it comes to return of investment. 
In many respects it does make sense why they are doing it this way in steps because at least it means that speeds gradually increase.   To do FTTP nationwide would take much longer.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »

I would be far more worried about GCHQ spying on me than the Chinese, if I'm completely honest.

I don't have anything special to hide anyway. If they want to watch be browse Reddit then no problem (I'd rather they didn't though).

ktz392837

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 12:03:35 AM »

What's the story with ECI cabinets?

Round-up. A lot has been written but it's scattered about.
Yes a mistake - stuck on a ECI cab.  It wouldn't be too bad if BT were a bit more forthcoming with information.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 12:07:28 AM »

We may not be too bothered about the Chinese spying on us.. and I doubt they'd be interested in the average joe public anyhow. 
But how many homes of gov officials and even gov & military buildings would be of interest?   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: [1] 2

anything