Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Interleaved for no reason at all?  (Read 7869 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Interleaved for no reason at all?
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:30:45 AM »

This morning at about 10:00am my connection went from fast path to interleaved.   :(  I can't see any reason at all for this.  I had been running steadily for long time with low errors.  I switched off on Tuesday and then back on last night (Thursday) as I was away.  Connection was fine overnight with low errors then this morning interleaving!!!!  I am baffled, previously the DLM has always had an excuse but this time I just don't get it.  Continuous stats are on MDWS. it is a ECI CAB and HG612

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Interleaved for no reason at all?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »

Ive just had a look.   I cant see any reason why either. :'(

The only difference is that the line was down for a few days with no connection.   hmmm  Im wondering.    On the Huawei system, I believe that after a new DLM reset your line now doesn't go back to wide open.   It starts off interleaved and then will go to g.inp.   But yours isnt a retransmission line, nor have you had a DLM reset.    Im betting though if anything that it is most likely something to do with your router being off.     Your DLM ILQ will have been 'Black' for the period you were down, but surely there should be something in place because 100's of people go away for several days.  Im as baffled as you are  :-\

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:45:45 PM »

It's possible turning off a modem on a line for a while/overnight/24hrs, fools the DLM into thinking lines error free, thus no need for any interleaving?

It's just happened to me.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 05:42:07 PM »

I would guess that the DLM was about to make that change anyway and your on and off just happened to be at the right time.   

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 12:19:59 AM »

turning off a modem on a line for a while/overnight/24hrs, fools the DLM into thinking lines error free,

DLM makes note of and monitors when the modem is on and off line.  Depending on the days uptime then it should classify the line as Grey or Black which should mean the DLM takes no action. 

I'm waiting to see if Les-70's line makes any changes tomorrow. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 12:30:56 AM »

I'm still awaiting G.INP being re-enabled on my line :)

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:39 PM »

The DLM has not relented in 3 days and just one ES over that time. I guess I won't know if it is stuck for a few weeks.  :(  Today I did a resync as the DLM had resynced at a time when my line had a high SNRM due to other disturbers presumably being switched off - they are back on now.  After the resync I gained as expected some upstream power but the interleaving has remained identical to that prior to my resync.

I am still none the wiser but according to a neighbor the ECI DSLAM was down for a few hours while I was away.  There were power outages at its location due to major re-cabling work.  The neighbor never looks at any stats (maybe a good way to avoid irritation!) so I don't know if he has had any DLM action. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 01:04:23 AM »

I was hoping it may make some sort of move today :(
-----

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 07:56:17 AM »

I am pleased  :)  that fast path has returned after 14 full days for upstream to go fast and 2 more days for downstream to go fast.  I don't believe it can be the holiday power off and it was not an error or resync count.  It may have been to do with cabinet being powered off for more than 3 hours (and perhaps any  battery backup failing) while I was away but if so why was it on fast path when I first powered up. 

I will leave it untouched for a while but I need a power off soon to move the HG612 to a better position.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »

Is it true that you need to leave it turned off for half an hour? Just as much for FTTC, I presume ?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:29 AM »

Glad it finally sorted.   
I do know that the default profile for G.INP lines has changed in some way, (see the G.INP thread with Ian Lawrences info)  and now resets will cause interleaving to be applied by default, I was under the impression that it would take a couple of days, but it seems to have taken much longer :(
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »

Are you a gamer, les-70?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »

Definitely not a gamer but I first noticed the return to fast path by noticing web pages loader quicker and then looking at my stats.

Is it true that you need to leave it turned off for half an hour? Just as much for FTTC, I presume ?
   The line is FTTC and I always turn off for more than half an hour should I turn it off.

I do know that the default profile for G.INP lines has changed in some way, (see the G.INP thread with Ian Lawrences info)  and now resets will cause interleaving to be applied by default, I was under the impression that it would take a couple of days, but it seems to have taken much longer :(

It is an ECI CAB, do you have any idea what happens to DLM settings when the DSLAM has a long enough power cut drain the DSLAM backup battery? You would have thought it would just carry on where it left off rather need to reset lines.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »

Sorry forgot you were on an eci, for some reason I was thinking Huawei this morning.

You're correct that power to the dslam shouldn't affect the profiles as those should be held elsewhere and sent to the dslam.   The element managers in the exchange stores ongoing data about your line and the dlm system itself via the oss determines the profile.  This then should send it to the dslam.   

Pure speculation here but wondering..  With you being away, your ILQ status would  definitely be black.  I wonder how long history is stored surely it should be more than two weeks somewhere even if there was also an issue with the element manager losing data. I really don't know why yours should have been interleaved.
-----

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:25 AM »

Can a web user actually notice a difference in responsiveness due to latency? I wouldn't have thought that's the kind of application where you could perceive such a small time difference of a few tens of milliseconds. But then if you can, you can.
Pages: [1] 2