Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: wow firefox issues worse then I thought - migrating to chrome  (Read 12964 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Re: wow firefox issues worse then I thought - migrating to chrome
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:38:40 PM »

yep but mozilla treat windows users as second class, and have done for a while.

In regards to garbage collection, I notice it via "stuttering", there is a advanced option to enable that makes gc's and cc's logged to the console and then can watch that console log how frequently its run.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »

It's amazing how many Web sites are moving away from MS IE9 and 10 I have 3 browsers installed on Windows these days MS Internet Explorer Chrome and Firefox it's becoming a lottery as to which site you land on and which browser works better.

It was great in the old days when all sites just used IE5 and 6 and there were no other optional browsers  ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:44:48 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 02:26:49 AM »

well yeah web development is moving fast today, one of IE's problems has been not able to keep up as is no rapid release policy.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 06:44:46 AM »

It's not so much websites are moving away from IE.  It's more that Web standards dictate the use of CSS.  CSS is supposed to mean that pages are viewed exactly the same despite whatever browser you use. Style sheets have been around for about 10yrs now, yet different browsers still don't render the code the same as they are supposed to

IE is one of those browsers that had a reputation for not being able to interpret & render CSS properly, but there are still some others that have quirks. For example see the screen cap from bcat at the top of the forum thread showing how a particular browser isn't lining up a graphic how it should.  I spent hours doing the css and about another hour last night checking and double checking my code and seeing if I could tweak something but still no joy so far.    It's very frustrating for web designers when browsers behave unexpectedly so I can fully understand why some web devs give up if IE doesn't render a page how its supposed to.

Re browsers: - Netscape was the very first browser that I used as it came on a floppy disk with the welcome pack from my first ISP.  MS IE wasn't really heard of back then and until MS started packaging it with their operating system (think Win98?) no one hardly used IE.
I remember Netscape Gold being released and thinking it was the bees knees when they brought that particular version out because of the suite packaged items such as navigator, email client, news reader and what must have been one of the first freebie WYSIWYG html editors.  I can't recall the year exactly Netscape Gold version being released but possibly 97?  It wiped the floor with IE which in the late 90s wasn't very good and quite basic compared to Netscape.

I stuck with Netscape for many many years, only moving to IE when AOL bought Netscape out and ruined it by making it bulky and slow, just like AOL ruined ICQ which was the best messenger client ever. AOL killed both :(

iirc Mozilla came to the rescue of Netscape - Firefox is built on and based from Netscape code.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »

It was great in the old days when all sites just used IE5 and 6 and there were no other optional browsers  ;)

there was netscape, opera and amaya. and IE rendered webpages wrong even then. Microsoft have always ignored web standards such as CSS in favour of their own ideas of how things should be done. Luckily the majority ignored MS otherwise we'd be paying per email.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 02:09:15 PM »

for me firefox doesnt work properly on asda's website yet chrome and IE are fine, so kitz point is valid on that.

I tested "the great suspender" extension on chrome, installed it just before going bed, when I checked my pc today, it had shut down many tab processes, so I can confirm on suspended tabs the processes do indeed get killed.  It excludes tabs which have unfinished filled form data and you can whitelist any sites you choose.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »

Got my first chrome issue I cannot resolve.

I leave the browser open for long periods, but it seems if left idle for too long (usually if asleep or out somewhere) it stops been able to open sessions on websites e.g. I cannot authenticate to websites.  Restarting the browser makes it work again.

My theory is that it is silently updating and auto restarting, and when it restarts it doesnt use my syntax options which breaks the sessions.  Evidence supporting this is that when it occurs the chrome icon moves to the end of the windows taskbar.

I did find a guide on how to make updates require manual intervention and configured that yesterday, but its possible that isnt working.

any thoughts?

note if my login is cached via cookies like on kitz, I stay authenticated and can still use those sites, its when trying to login manually.

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:03 PM »

Hi

I maybe wrong sorry but this sounds like on the hosting platform, your session has expired, but your browser may still be sending the old session key to website.

Many thanks

John

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 01:36:25 PM »

it has also occured on sites i never logged in before from the browser.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2015, 10:39:46 PM »

I solved the session issue.

TheGreatSuspender addon has an option to preserve tabs that have populated form data, seems that option breaks sessions after it suspends tabs.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2015, 11:41:50 AM »

Firefox is getting amazingly bad when it comes to HTML5 players. On the test page on youtube firefox doesn't pass all the checks on my old WinXP machine (I'm waiting for a better deal on the new comps! :) ). But on Chrome on the same XP machine everything works good.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2
Pages: 1 [2]