Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade  (Read 10679 times)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2015, 11:38:53 PM »

I am doing what I can without being there or kitz having Caddie/usb adapter cable  ;D
I'd go out and get one PDQ if at all possible.  :cool:
Agreed.   Does Kitz, in any event, have the spare  internal Sata cable that would otherwise be needed?

The intent was to use the cables from an existing drive which is used for backups. Simply unplug and swap over power/data cables to the laptop drive.
Copy the important files and restore cables back to original drive.

If I needed to recover the original drive and had no other way, of course, I would do a image copy of the drive, this is not the case.
The recovery partition should be enough if the drive cannot be fixed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2015, 12:14:57 AM »

The situation is brought his lappy home thinking it would be a 2 min job for me to do windows updates here.
Never dreamt that Win10 would do its thing or kick in without at least advising me.  I saw the installing Windows10 update message out of the corner of my eye and thought oooh crap and tried to back out of it, just like I did on my own PC.  But Im not sure if I left it too late, or it had already hung at that point because it hanging for a while on the installing update (I'm not certain now when where it hung) but it definitely rebooted by itself, and at which point didnt come back up.

Windows told me it was having a problem loading and offered to restart using system restore.  I tried that and it came back up offering to repair, but that failed.  I stopped at the point when it offered recovery so hopefully data should be intact.

Im out all day tomorrow, and not near anything like PCworld.

Its not urgent urgent, I can possibly tell him that I didnt get chance to do it today as he knows how busy I am.   I dont want to upset him yet.. or rather mum who is most likely to go mad, as some of those photos was from a trip to Aus the other year to see his sister.. and I know for sure he wont ever be going back.

Due to personal circumstances I no longer build PC's (I think Ive mentioned before that I cant do things like install CPU's as I have no strength in one hand and some of my fingers are numb) nor do have any of the other stuff I may many years ago have had access to.   Tech hardware stuff is kept to a bare minimum really these days and I even struggled a bit to get that HDD out. :(

Yeah I know the importance of backups and although Ive told him before about backups he doesnt have anywhere to store.  I think/thought I took a copy of the photos at some point and Ive dug out that USB stick I could/would have used at the time, but my PC isnt seeing anything on it.   There is one another stick that the stuff could be on, but I cant find it atm despite turning everything upside down.

I would never have let it update to Win10 without doing a fresh backup, but it had started all on its own as soon as it connected to my wifi.

So first thing is to get data off.
Then I need to see if I can get it running again.
I was about to put it straight in my pc.. but cant get the side case off (stupid damn hand), so will see if a neighbour would do that for me at some point tomorrow.

---
ETA..  and not going to attempt more now as my own daily backups run at 1am
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:26:00 AM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 12:36:17 AM »

Don't worry.
Your data is still on there.
Just Win10 has played with the boot up files etc
It can be fixed, just might be a bit of a pain if you need to re-install some programs. (Time wise)
The data can be copied over into the correct locations and it will work. (Firefox & Thunderbird)
Ditto for Photos.
Other programs will need to be looked at to see how they store their data.
If we can get the laptop to run in safe mode, and the programs still run, you should be able to export other data to formats that are transferable to new installations.
Once backed up I will try to break the 'bad boot loop' and get the laptop to start properly.

For now keep stumm !  ;D ;)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 01:02:39 AM »

since he didnt backup windows 7 he is now screwed until someone fixes it.

Just fricken done the same on my dads laptop.   Totally *ed up.   Wont do a system repair or windows recovery.

He's been in hospital for the past several months and as soon as I switched it on, it started to do a massive update.   It sat there with the spinning wheel then decided to crash.   Dads lappy was set to do auto updates and it didnt give me the option to do anything about it before it set off trying to update.

Dunno what the hell to do now as all his photos are stored on there.  Dont know how Im going to tell him that I think Ive lost everything.   Thought I was doing him a favour because he asked if I'd do the update on my fttc connection rather than over his 7Mbps DSL line.

I could cry..  spent all afternoon trying to back out of it..  but it wont do nothing.   Dont even have a windows 8 disk or product key for it.   :'(
I never dreamed it would set off attempting to update before I'd had chance to change any settings.   Never even got the offer screen.

photos are probably intact, plug in the hdd to another pc to get them.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 08:32:14 AM »

I still think a Linux Live DVD is easier than tinkering about moving drives. Transfer the files a few at a time with a non optimal size USB stick or transfer them via the network. I'll put my asbestos suit on now!!  :)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 09:15:02 AM »

I think, from past experience, Kitz probably knows what the options are and how to execute them.  ;)

Personally I'd go out and buy a USB/SATA adapter AND a mid-size external backup HDD for dad's laptop.

The recovered files (whatever method is used) can be put on the new backup HDD and then, once the system is recovered, can be easily reloaded. THEN the drive can be used for regular backups. W10 File History is probably all that's needed and it's very simple, plus maybe a system image every now and again.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »

Since the drive is now out of the laptop, I agree with HP.

One word of caution re swapping the cables in an another system, to get at the drive....

...That other system, when it boots up, will find not just that a new drive has appeared, but that the existing drive has vanished.   Depending on whether it is Linux or Windows, and what vintage, and how that vanished drive was configured, that can cause it to get a bit temperamental.  It's a level of complexity, and additional risk, that I'd want to avoid.

If urgency is not the main concern, and if the local corner shop doesn't sell the adapters, there's always one just a click away, with next day delivery. :)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 10:02:26 AM »

I have done this many times.
As long as the drive being replaced is not a boot drive or is actively used by any software it will work.
The drive being replaced is a backup drive that is used to copy file to.
If you plug the drive in it will pick up an available drive letter.
You do not want to reboot the machine from scratch as windows can rewrite some vital boot files when it discovers a new bootable windows drive.
I have done it before (many times) and know most things windows can 'screw up', learnt the hard way. :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 10:02:40 AM »

Yes 7LM and AAr, that's why I prefer external USB/SATA (or IDE) adapters as it avoids any potential boot confusion.  :graduate:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2015, 10:05:21 AM »

I agree it is not the best way but sometimes you have to work with what you have. :wry:

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »

You do not want to reboot the machine from scratch as windows can rewrite some vital boot files when it discovers a new bootable windows drive.

Yes, quite so.  If the 'rescue' system does try spot that Dad's disc is bootable, and try to boot from it, it may well trash the disc's registry in the process as the hardware will look different, making it even more harder to bring the laptop back to life again afterwards...

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

I appreciate all the comments and concern.  ;D

I WILL NOT risk the data on the drive, which is the primary concern.
Rebuilding the windows install is not an issue as there are multiple ways to do this.

I am trying to help and fix this !   ;D
I have almost lost Pics through a disk crash aggravated by windows trying to fix it (Chkdsk), I know the feeling well.  :(

Due to kitz current situation with her family, time is tight, hence the less than optimal approach.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 10:39:25 AM »

Yes, quite so.  If the 'rescue' system does try spot that Dad's disc is bootable, and try to boot from it, it may well trash the disc's registry in the process as the hardware will look different, making it even more harder to bring the laptop back to life again afterwards...

Even better it can change the files in boot and rewrite your boot up menu etc even when you have not booted from the drive.
I have a machine with multiple boot drives, one of which was from another machine. There were multiple Boot directories and windows got very confused and tried to write to the wrong one etc.
It got very confused ! [read: Broken]
It was fixed but only after I worked out what Windows was doing. :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »

Very quick update as I have to go out again for another appt (for me this afty!).   Anyway got in my mitts a USB3 portable 2.5" HD enclosure.

PCworld is about 15mins from the hospital so took advantage of nipping out for a while.    PCW was closed (power outage).  Maplins wanted £40 for a caddy, but was interesting whilst looking at their silly prices was overhearing an old guy explaining to the store assistant what he wanted a caddy for (Guess!).   Tried a local shop on the way home - out of stock - as to quote him,  he'd had a run on them over the past couple of weeks, and has several laptops in for repair for similar after w10 updates.  Finally got one at another local shop for just under a tenner..  who also mentioned they'd had quite a few W10 update failures for repair.

Just how big is this W10 update failure?   From what I heard this morning it seems tip of an iceberg, and mostly all laptops.  What happened with dads is certainly not an isolated incident.   Its also trashed Chry's dad laptop, so something is going very wrong with this update IMHO. :( 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 01:38:00 PM »

my dad has a pc not laptop.

He did manage to get win10 sort of working but has had loads of issues so as you can see in my new thread he is now going to downgrade back to win7.

my view is this is a common problem based on my own experience, on my test pc almost every install hung and required a hard reboot to proceed.  I think the issue is the hardware detection and automated driver install is broken.  Windows 7 (and 8) didnt have these issues, so they must have changed something in that part of the process.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 01:40:20 PM by Chrysalis »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4