Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade  (Read 10682 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »

Drive
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »

Yep, that is Sata :)

Just need a sata data & Power cable.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »

Dismantle my PC and plug it in?

(For those that hadn't realised - I have no way of transferring data across if I leave it in the laptop - possibly too much for USB memory stick)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 09:58:09 PM »

Take a deep breath ..... yes.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 10:00:49 PM »

Download a copy of Teracopy from http://codesector-eu.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/teracopy.exe
[Too big to attach .... sorry]

Use this to copy everything off the disk.
I will talk you through it.

[It copies and verifies via CRC checksums for each file.)

Ensures nothing is corrupted during the copy off the disk :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2015, 10:02:23 PM »

Or just buy an adapter cable and plug it into usb.  No dismantling needed
Link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00GHJJPEK
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:05:11 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2015, 10:06:34 PM »

I know you can use a cable but kitz does not have one now.
There is a little bit 'time pressure' to fix this soonest. [Long story]  ;D

It would be what I would do but i have a cable already.!

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2015, 10:27:06 PM »

Lots of good advice here.  Boot it off something else (eg Linux bootable CD/DVD) and copy important files off, or put laptop hard disk into another Windows PC as 2nd disk and copy the files off (this is what I do).  A disk imaging program (eg Easus Backup) on the Windows PC could make a backup of the whole laptop hard disk).

When that panic is over - what was the laptop stuck on?  Was it updating to Windows 10, or was it just trying to install lots of backlog Windows updates generally?

Once you've got a copy of the whole disk or the files you don't want to lose, you may find restarting the computer will clear the fault anyway.

Otherwise, will it boot into safe mode?  If Windows update was stuck, google for "windows update fixit" from Microsoft and run that on the computer, then reboot normally and see if it works.  (If it was partially though a Windows 10 upgrade then this isn't going to work).

Ian

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 10:27:21 PM »

Take the HD drive out off laptop and open up side of a Desktop insert sata cable from drive to desktop motherboard and use spare sata power cable from powersupply and boot desktop you should see the laptops drive in your windows OS.

A Linux live DVD is much simpler, safer and less prone to damage.
Disagree with licquorice, agree with NewtronStar, having recovered data from countless PC's.

You need to slave the disk from the laptop (most are very easy to remove) to another PC and copy relevant data off.
The method above is OK, but I tend to use and external "caddy" or USB adapter which are pretty cheap. £10 or so.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 10:28:39 PM »

@sheddyian

You are reading ahead in the script !  ;D  ;)

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2015, 10:34:35 PM »

I am doing what I can without being there or kitz having Caddie/usb adapter cable  ;D

1. Copy all data off drive [Most Important]
2. Try to recover problem when disk is put back. Can use safe mode and/or recovery options in Win8. [Or patch it by hand if I must]
3. If all else fails restore from 'Recovery' partition, then install Proggies and copy/import back data. [Not the best choice I know]

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2015, 10:37:34 PM »

I am doing what I can without being there or kitz having Caddie/usb adapter cable  ;D
I'd go out and get one PDQ if at all possible.  :cool:

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »

I'd go out and get one PDQ if at all possible.  :cool:

Agreed.   Does Kitz, in any event, have the spare  internal Sata cable that would otherwise be needed?

Personally though, given how critical this situation is, I'd want to take an image of the raw disk, to preserve its integrity, before attempting recovery.  That would need to be a raw image rather  than logical, hence I suggested Linux 'dd'.   Using 'dd', you just need another disk, with enough free space, that can be attached by USB or network share.   You then have a single very large file that is a perfect raw image of the problem disk.  When that file is mounted, it will look exactly like to file system on the problem disk which meanwhile can be kept in a very safe place while experiments proceed.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »

I don't think kitz is near anywhere that would have one and Amazon would not delivery until tomorrow (late by the usual deliveries I get :) )
As I said there are 'Time Pressures', 'head on blocks' etc  :(

TBH I could not get one now if I wanted .... PC World are it, near me, and they are shut. Even when open they would not have anything useful. ;D

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2015, 11:04:08 PM »

A disk image does not gain much, unless I am going to repeatably cycle thru 'try to fix and restore if it fails'.
That is not a useful method because of the time constraints.

The only important thing on the drive is the data.
If it does not fix quickly it will be restored from Recovery Partition.
There is a last resort route of installing from a win8 dvd but that should not be needed if the Recovery works.
The recovery will be 80% there and the Proggies can be re-installed while the data can be put back from the copy.

If I had the drive I would be able to get back from the Win10 wreck with a little effort and as much time as I needed.
I am trying to do the fastest and safest process ..... fast does not help and remotely compounds that.

For your information: I have recovered Windows of every version crashing & burning many many times (and that is just on my own machines  ;D )
Most of the time everything is there but something goes west in the booting process.
Convincing Windows that what it thinks is 'wrong' is the problem. [Another example of MS knowing best  :D :D ]
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 11:39:50 PM by AArdvark »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4