Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade  (Read 10673 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade
« on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:07 AM »

I did advise my dad to wait telling him there is a year to claim the free upgrade, but I guess he got excited and pulled the trigger.

Basically his pc hung on the spinning circle (which happened to me multiple times when installing insider builds, in my opinion this is a common unfixed issue), but unlike myself, rebooting his pc doesnt allow it to finish, it will simply hang again if he reboots, since he didnt backup windows 7 he is now screwed until someone fixes it.

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: dad's pc trashed by win10 upgrade
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:21 AM »

I was thinking this yesterday. If people don't download the ISO file and have the windows product key.. if a crash happens, how do people re-install it?

I'm assuming that Win10 doesn't install a backup partition like what usually comes with bought PC's? Or a backup 'rescue' DVD.

I suspect over time this could be an issue.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 12:41:53 PM »

1. MS think Win10 will never crash  ::)

2. Exactly the reason to ensure you get a 'good' .iso image and a burnt to physical media version .... just in case.

3. If you have upgraded and registered, you can wipe the PC and re-install from the .iso/CD/DVD and it *should* re-activate identifying you & the PC again.

4. I have installed from a Win10 .iso to a blank PC and it did work & activate.

5. In spite of 3) & 4) I still trust nothing.  ;D

6. Still here ? ....... See 1)  ;D ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:02:19 PM »

since he didnt backup windows 7 he is now screwed until someone fixes it.

Just fricken done the same on my dads laptop.   Totally *ed up.   Wont do a system repair or windows recovery.

He's been in hospital for the past several months and as soon as I switched it on, it started to do a massive update.   It sat there with the spinning wheel then decided to crash.   Dads lappy was set to do auto updates and it didnt give me the option to do anything about it before it set off trying to update.

Dunno what the hell to do now as all his photos are stored on there.  Dont know how Im going to tell him that I think Ive lost everything.   Thought I was doing him a favour because he asked if I'd do the update on my fttc connection rather than over his 7Mbps DSL line.

I could cry..  spent all afternoon trying to back out of it..  but it wont do nothing.   Dont even have a windows 8 disk or product key for it.   :'(
I never dreamed it would set off attempting to update before I'd had chance to change any settings.   Never even got the offer screen.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 07:14:04 PM »

To at least get back readable files e.g. the pics.  you could try a linux image  such as mint on a CD or USB and run it without installing.   This would let you copy stuff to a second USB.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 07:16:31 PM »

Kitz,

Don't do anything else to the laptop.

Switch it off NOW !!!!!!

To stop any further changes etc.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 07:18:52 PM »

Thanks les-70.   I thought this is going to be my only way out. 

Does anyone know of a decent guide for a linux n00b to be able to do this, so I can at least get some of the photos off there. 

----
Its so bleeding annoying because I really really dont have time to do this and could have done without having to start setting up his lappy again from scratch and trying to put everything on it back how it was.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2015, 07:19:29 PM »

Yes, I will agree with Les' suggestion.

Use one of the "LiveCD" or "LiveUSB" Linux images to boot the system and then copy all the data to some form of removable medium.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

I should be able to get your data back if you have not deleted any thing.

You need to treat this the same as a 'Malware event'.

Don't try anything until the disk is examined to find out its current state.

Your data is still there unless it has been over written.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 07:20:20 PM »

Kitz,

Don't do anything else to the laptop.

Switch it off NOW !!!!!!

To stop any further changes etc.

Its switched off now.    Had to cause I couldnt spend any further time looking at it.

When it tried to auto-boot it tells me its attempting to do a repair, but it fails.
-----

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 07:23:27 PM »

Download a linux image as an .iso file and burn it to DVD as an image. Just boot from it and run it from the live DVD, the rest will be fairly intuitive. Just copy the files to a USB stick

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:25:32 PM by licquorice »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 07:25:28 PM »

I've been trying to reply, but everyone else gets there before me. :) I agree with what licquorice says.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 07:28:56 PM »

I'd second/third/fourth the suggestions to boot from Linux.

But personally I might go even further... do you have a spare usb external drive that might be big enough to take an image of the laptop's drive?   If not, maybe the situation might justify buying such a drive?

Then, having booted from Linux, take a copy of the stricken disk using 'dd', and use that as the source for any attempts at data salvage.   You can just mount such an image, and it will look just like the stricken disk, but that approach reduces the penalty if you may make the damage any worse, as the original disk remains untouched.

You could do the same using a networked drive, of course.

I won't offer the specific incantations for 'dd' or fir 'mount' because, even though I'm confident what they might be, I'm sure certain other forum members will be even more confident.   :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 08:03:28 PM »

Take the HD drive out off laptop and open up side of a Desktop insert sata cable from drive to desktop motherboard and use spare sata power cable from powersupply and boot desktop you should see the laptops drive in your windows OS.

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

Take the HD drive out off laptop and open up side of a Desktop insert sata cable from drive to desktop motherboard and use spare sata power cable from powersupply and boot desktop you should see the laptops drive in your windows OS.

A Linux live DVD is much simpler, safer and less prone to damage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4