Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Credit Card Fraud  (Read 10349 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Credit Card Fraud
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 12:26:17 AM »

A Zen employee was harvesting card details, using them to buy Steam subscriptions which he then sold on via ebay to get the cash. Zen was my ISP at the time.

Didnt realise that you'd been affected with that. 
I can remember it all kicking off though.. was it you doing a lot of the posting or was it someone else.... I can recall reading about a 30 page thread as it all unfolded... and it finally pointing to a member of Zen Staff.

I was also then advised to contact the police and my credit card company and to report the number as being "STOLEN"
So it now turns out to have been stolen from British Gas's computer system, not lost in a system crash, but they never publicly admitted a employee had stolen lots of numbers.

:(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

Didnt realise that you'd been affected with that. 
I can remember it all kicking off though.. was it you doing a lot of the posting or was it someone else.... I can recall reading about a 30 page thread as it all unfolded... and it finally pointing to a member of Zen Staff.

It was me doing the posting on AG before John (IIRC) panicked and pulled the thread - I believe Zen had a hand in that - but it wasn't me who tracked the scumbag down. These days of course he'd get away with it as the police no longer get involved in CC fraud - in fact they won't even give you a crime number if you have cards stolen.

I thought I'd asked you some stuff via email about CC merchant "rules" at the time? Anyway it did me a favour ultimately as it proved that Zen's "complaints procedure" was as much use as a chocolate teapot and convinced me (amongst others) that Zen are vastly overrated and in no way worth the money they charge.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:21:17 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 09:26:27 AM »

>> It was me doing the posting on AG before John (IIRC) panicked and pulled the thread

Aye - it didnt last very long on there  - but there was the 30 page thread on another forum about it.  Re the cc rules - I possibly did - but my memory seems to be like a sieve these days :(

>>  the police no longer get involved in CC fraud - in fact they won't even give you a crime number if you have cards stolen.

Really?  Sign of the times :(
I suppose the days of fingerprinting stuff like stolencards/cheques are also long gone too.   It wasnt too long ago that when we received a cheque in the clearing that had previously been  reported from a stolen cheque book.. we used to have to dig the cheque out of the 1000's that had arrived that day, very carefully making sure we didnt touch it,  then seal them in special bags.  Then the local police would actually come into the branch to pick the chq up for forensic.
Less cheques in use these days and aside from that they dont automatically get sent back to the branches.

Forging someone signature was more a work of art, rather than using someones PIN.  Many a time cashiers would be paid a £50 bonus for being on the ball with signature forgeries and being able to recover cards.  You got paid for card recovery - didnt matter if the guy did a runner.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2008, 09:39:45 AM »

All this fraud leads me to think-----------------eastern Europe?

soms

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008, 11:22:49 AM »

Unfortunately we can't really escape the possibility of CC fraud - we all rely on cards and bank accounts to make payments on everything from luxuries to basic services. We can only hope that those companies we deal with have the proper security controls in place to prevent the misuse of our info.

Statistically though I expect it is safer to use a CC than keep your savings under the matress, although in some cases the later might prove handy.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Illegitimi Non Carborundum
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008, 12:50:34 PM »

I haven't used credit cards in years... I wouldn't give them house room.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:28:29 AM »

I posted earlier this year about someone having stolen my card details  while my card was at home with me at the time and someone tried to use it.
Well according to the news,Cotton Traders(this was one of the sites I used at the time) had the credit card details of 38000 people hacked into and stolen.
Methinks I was one of those people.I am just glad Halifax was on the ball and no transactions went through.
Since I have received my new card I have had no more problems.  :)

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:36:26 AM by UncleUB »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 05:53:29 PM »

hmmm  not good - but at least you know how and why it happened now...  and like you say thank goodness Halifax were alert to it
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2008, 01:28:14 PM »

Unfortunately there are no organisations that are 100% secure, even some of the largest around are still fallible.
Some time ago my details (along with many others) were stolen "and used" from within British Gas after making a payment.
Fortunately Goldfish CC (now part of Barclays) were on the ball and contacted me because of the type of purchases suddenly being made and I was refunded the whole amounts.
(Actually I think I even ended up on top)
Pages: 1 [2]

anything