Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Extreme Interleave values  (Read 2979 times)

Zwiebi

• Just arrived
Extreme Interleave values
« on: August 10, 2015, 04:29:45 AM »

Hello everyone!

I noticed that my ping is pretty high (31 ms on the first hop to my ISP's datacenter, which is located around 20 km away from me), so I checked out my routers settings and I found some pretty interesting values:

Less well formatted for mobile users:

Modulation Type   VDSL2
Actual Rate (Up/Down)   6015/33022 kbps
Attainable Rate (Up/Down)   7175/49440 kbps
Noise Margin (Up/Down)   6.4/10.1 dB
Output Power (Up/Down)   6.4/13.3 dBm
Data Path (Up/Down)   Interleaved/Interleaved
Interleave Depth (Up/Down)   255/1531
Interleave Delay (Up/Down)   8/16 ms
INP (Up/Down)   4/7.5 symbols
Profile   17a
LinkEncap   G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
CRC Errors (Up/Down)   0/0

Connection time: 44 hours

The interleave depth / delay and INP values all look freakishly weird. Unfortunately, I can't set these values in my router, so I will have to call my provider and yell at them to change the values. Based on the values, what settings I should ask for? The easy one would be fastpath, but I'm not sure if my line is good enough for it. Also the delay / INP values are a bit blurry in relation to latency.
I have to add, that apart from the high latency, my connection is very stable. No disconnects, latency or speed fluctuation. I pay for 30/5 mbit and I get a constant 31/5.5 mbit at any give time.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Extreme Interleave values
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 09:13:30 PM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.  :)

The interleave depth / delay and INP values all look freakishly weird. Unfortunately, I can't set these values in my router, so I will have to call my provider and yell at them to change the values.

That will not do you any good. CPs/ISPs do not have the ability to adjust any configuration parameters.  :no:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Zwiebi

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 10:55:25 PM »

Well, here, my ISP owns pretty much the whole telecommunication network from top to bottom, so they should be able to change it.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:12:26 PM »

No they can't. The Openreach rules are very clear, and apply to all ISPs.

If a line fault has been identified and repaired by OR, then the ISP can request a line reset (if OR haven't already done it on their own initiative). But they won't do it just because the user is unhappy with the stats.
  Eric

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:13:41 PM »

I'm not sure if the ISP can even request a DLM reset on its own.

You could of course raise a fault and tell the visiting engineer to reset the DLM?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:28:20 AM by AlecR »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 11:49:28 PM »

You have 4dB SNRM spare on the downstream as seen below you could be 0n a 80/20 or 10 service but only able to use the 40/10 service and without being able to see your lines history there must be a reason why your line is set at a high interleaving depth and normally that's down to noise which gives you loads of errored seconds.

So a DLM reset to fastpath is not going to help you unless that extra noise can be found on your line and cured by Openreach.

Actual Rate (Up/Down)   6015/33022 kbps
Attainable Rate (Up/Down)   7175/49440 kbps
Noise Margin (Up/Down)   6.4/10.1 dB

PS I off to bed feeling very crap !!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 12:04:43 AM by NewtronStar »

Zwiebi

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:50:33 AM »

Sorry, I should have added that I'm not from the UK, but from Hungary. I know that this forum is aimed at UK related networking topics, but hopefully, I'm not breaking any rules with my post.

My ISP is the old PTT (it was a 100% state owned company, with full monopoly) and such they own the whole network, so they should be able to change it if they are willing.
I just don't know what exact changes should I ask for, given that I will probably only be able to get them change it once, and then they will tell me to get lost. The ideal solution would be to fine tune it, but getting to an engineer who actually understands the problem and willing to help is not easy, especially after you admit to the Level 1 support that the internet actually works and there are no red lights on the modem. Based on previous experiences, I can ask them to change specific things, but just asking them to investigate and improve on something will lead nowhere.
I'm pretty confident in my networking knowledge, but this is a rather specific topic with no real possibility of trying different things out and maybe even making compromises for lower latency. If possible, I would still like to try and improve my connection as I think they are overly cautious with their settings, most likely because they try to push consumers towards IPTV (which I'm not using).
Also, given that VDSL is different from the older ADSL standards in that they are not changing the above mentioned values, but rather DLM profiles which just further complicates things. I'm pretty sure, that I can ask for a reset, but not for a specific profile. However, if they would to ask for one, I would be glad if anyone could offer some help (based on the pretty scarce info I provided above).

Edit: the noise is most likely due to my distance from the DSLAM. However since they are only offering 30/5 mbit (fixed offer, not tied to my location) and I'm still on 17a so that makes me think that there is still some room for improvement. And yes, the SNRM could be better.

Ps.: Have a good night and get better! :-)

anything