Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: OpenWrt (Chaos Calmer r46559) for ECI/r v1 & v2 - Update: G.INP/ReTX Support  (Read 269539 times)

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Openwrt 19.07 will be the final release for 4mb rom and 32mb ram devices.

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/432-warning-infobox-update/38763

Would anyone be interesting in helping me make a bridge mode firmware for the ECI with the latest g.inp/retx firmware like iamacarpet has done for the netgear dm200?

https://github.com/a1comms/openwrt-netgear-dm200-bridge

mrk26

• Reg Member

From this what @jsamuel wrote on previous page he already working on latest openwrt. FW from first post is fully configured for using in UK so after is flashed to modem is ready to use.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

Hi there. I'll be releasing an update with latest OpenWrt in the coming days.

Have you seen the replacement of the lzma loader?

https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=commitdiff;h=17094e9e642ffca19c6b6681766d2bcbb8e6e565

Use the new image build code and remove the lzma loader. The lzma
loader was used to cheat the signature validation of the bootloader and
I found another way to do this.

To migrate boards already using LEDE/OpenWrt to the new image the
following steps need to be done once:

VR9 # run reset_uboot_config
  VR9 # reset
  VR9 # setenv ethaddr AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
  VR9 # setenv preboot ping 1.1.1.1\;bootm 0xb001f000
  VR9 # saveenv
  VR9 # tftp 0x81000000 lede-lantiq-xrx200-VG3503J-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
  VR9 # erase 0xb0020000 $(filesize)
  VR9 # cp.b 0x81000000 0xb0020000 $(filesize)

The mac address is printed on the label at the bottom of the case.

The following steps are need to be done during first install:

VR9 # setenv preboot ping 1.1.1.1\;bootm 0xb001f000
  VR9 # saveenv
  VR9 # tftp 0x81000000 lede-lantiq-xrx200-VG3503J-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin
  VR9 # erase 0xb0020000 $(filesize)
  VR9 # cp.b 0x81000000 0xb0020000 $(filesize)

The image uses the uImage firmware splitter now instead of hardcoded
kernel and rootfs partitions. The firmware partition size was extended
to use flash space that was reserved for partitions required only by
the ECI firmware.

Due to the changes an upgrade to a later LEDE revision from a running
LEDE is supported now.

A default switch config was added and the device uses the same MAC
addresses as the ECI firmware now instead of the same for all VG3503J.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: OpenWrt (Chaos Calmer r46559) for ECI/r v1 & v2 - Update: G.INP/ReTX Support
« Reply #333 on: November 28, 2019, 08:23:37 PM »

From this what @jsamuel wrote on previous page he already working on latest openwrt. FW from first post is fully configured for using in UK so after is flashed to modem is ready to use.

any idea how to build from the packages?

mrk26

• Reg Member
Re: OpenWrt (Chaos Calmer r46559) for ECI/r v1 & v2 - Update: G.INP/ReTX Support
« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2019, 08:49:39 PM »

Hi @jsamuel
Is there any news when/if new version will be available for eci modem?

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2019, 09:50:31 PM »

sorry i did not get round to this  :( i no longer have vdsl and went with virgin as soon as they dug up my street and would be unable to do further testing of new firmware however I'll keep everything here and also the files on the website

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2019, 11:27:06 PM »

No worries, thanks for great work.

mrk26

• Reg Member
« Reply #337 on: December 10, 2019, 08:26:58 PM »

Hi All,
Does anyone remember commands for adjusting snr on eci modem with chaos Calmer fw? I had somewhere commands but lost them  ???

loady

• Just arrived

I have the V1 model, is this image better to use for me on talktalk than say the latest compatible version on openwrt ?

loady

• Just arrived

would it be a tall order for someone to update this firmware with the latest openwrt ?

mrk26

• Reg Member

You can try latest openwrt 19.07 on it but you definitely need to configure switch for vlan if you want to use it as bridge modem, also the stats page is less detailed than in this fw. When I tried version 18.06 it was very unstable but I didn't change anything apart of set up vlan switch, then I find out that vdsl fw on openwrt may not be the latest version and is actually necessary to upgrade it to proper one. Due to instability on 18.06 I go back to this one as is rock solid.

loady

• Just arrived

You can try latest openwrt 19.07 on it but you definitely need to configure switch for vlan if you want to use it as bridge modem, also the stats page is less detailed than in this fw. When I tried version 18.06 it was very unstable but I didn't change anything apart of set up vlan switch, then I find out that vdsl fw on openwrt may not be the latest version and is actually necessary to upgrade it to proper one. Due to instability on 18.06 I go back to this one as is rock solid.

Yes the newer versions are a lot more laggy i hear. So is LEDE a different version of openwrt or are they the same thing ?, i want to get a few of these modems and knock them out but want to know what is best to install, im being advised not to use older third party firmware, my idea is that i or others can use this on talktalk or the like and then use it as a pure modem so you can utilise your own router. when you say bridge mode, does that refer to openWrt/LEDE installation guide for HH5A for the later firmwares but doesnt need to be done with this version ?....very inforamtive quote below from a reply on the openwrt forum, the poster really cleared things up for me but want to know how you feel about using the older firmware on these modems...

The JSamuel version on kitz forum is indeed a custom version based on very old version of Openwrt 15 chaos calmer. It contains modified code which also offers more DSL statistics in LuCI web interface not found in current OpenWrt/LEDE. But it does not include any patches for xrx200 Lantiq chipset introduced since 2015. JSamuel doesn't provide any support and recent posts suggest there are no plans to update it as OP is now on cable broadband.

The openwrt wikipage was last updated in 2018 when LEDE 17.01.4 was the current version at the time (17.01.6 was last official stable version). It also requires you to complete the instructions for setting up 'bridge' mode described in section 9.8 within OpenWrt/LEDE installation guide for HH5A.

There is nothing stopping you installing LEDE 17.01.4 now as per wiki page, and later choosing to upgrade to LEDE 17.01.6, OpenWrt 18 or 19 using LuCI web UI btw. Otherwise, if you wish to go straight to OpenWrt 19, then you simply have to substitute the lede-17.01.4-lantiq-xrx200-VG3503J-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin with openwrt-19.07.0-lantiq-xrx200-arcadyan_vg3503j-squashfs-sysupgrade.bin for example when following the wiki instructions. As OpenWrt 19 stable has only recently been announced, I'd personally use proven OpenWrt 18.06.4 or LEDE 17.01.6 releases.

With regards to LAN1/LAN2 being transposed in LEDE 17, it is just a cosmetic bug. It does not mean you MUST use OpenWrt 18 or 19.

penWrt/LEDE installation guide for HH5A

mrk26

• Reg Member

Bridge mode is when eci modem working purely as modem and your username and password came from router to modem for connection authentication.
This fw is maybe old but is nothing wrong with it, vdsl fw support g.inp where possible, and other types of connection. This fw is dedicated to use in UK as there are pre set wan bridges. I tried newer version 18.06 and also on different modem I tried 19.07, apart of newer kernel and fresh packages in 19.07 there is no more futures than in this fw. If you will use this modem in bridge mode all firewall stuff will be done by your router so there is no big issues if some packages are outdated (in my opinion). Also bear in mind that this particular fw was tweaked for use on eci modem and is really damn stable. If you planing to use eci bt modem this is the best way for it. Of course you can try newest Openwrt but you will came back to this one at the end as I did. Don't buy bulk quantity, get one eci modem flash this fw and see yourself if it suit you.

meritez

• Content Team
  • Kitizen

would it be a tall order for someone to update this firmware with the latest openwrt ?

not really, I have two v-2fub/r Rev B versions already flashed to openwrt.

I just need to convert @jsamuels work so it is compatible with the openwrt imagebuilder, in it's current format you need to sync the repository, when you should just be able to drop a files package into imagebuilder.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors

not really, I have two v-2fub/r Rev B versions already flashed to openwrt.

I just need to convert @jsamuels work so it is compatible with the openwrt imagebuilder, in it's current format you need to sync the repository, when you should just be able to drop a files package into imagebuilder.

Does Openwrt actually have the modem firmware?  The Wiki suggested the modem firmware is not included due to it being copyrighted.

Also, did you compare if sync is different between stock and Openwrt?
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

anything