Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Connection to exchange at IP level failed. Internet down.  (Read 1082 times)

plkitz

• Just arrived
Connection to exchange at IP level failed. Internet down.
« on: August 09, 2015, 10:02:45 AM »

I'm coming here to see if there are any experts who may have some insight into this.

My internet connection died at 17:45 yesterday.

I rebooted everything

I logged into the HG612 and saw the sync was OK as normal, but no IP connection to the exchange. This explains why my N7000 can't get a PPPoE connection.

Note : I've had a stable line for years, no cause to complain. No disconnects, all good.

I swapped the HG612 out for an ECI VDSL modem I have. DSL syncs, same problem tho. PPPoE can't connect through.

I powered down the HG612 for 10 minutes, and noticed something odd - the sync speed stayed the exact same (with no IP to the exchange) but the error list (FEC, etc) had NOT reset itself. I would expect the sync speed to change ever so slightly, which it has done every time I've had a power drop in the past, and I would also expect the HEC/CRC errors to reset. On the network side (Status/WAN/Network), ptm1.101 is blank, and getting little traffic (57 bytes total)

Does this sound like the exchange end has got stuck somehow and my line needs a quick kick as it's not resetting itself?

Thanks everyone

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
Re: Connection to exchange at IP level failed. Internet down.
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

The only time this happened to me was when the service was down. My modem wasnt allocated an IP.

I'd contact your isp, or at least check if there are any problems with the service in your area, and on your line.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

anything