Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RJ-11-to-RJ-11 cables from Tandy (was adslnation), for modem-to-wallsocket  (Read 16255 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick

[round-up of what has been written elsewhere about these quality cables]

Several kitizens have found these rj11-rj11 cables to be very good. I would strongly recommend giving them a try:
    http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/high-speed-rj11-dsl-cable-1m.html

they are shielded and available in longer and v. short lengths (incl 0.5m) not just the 1m one shown above. Obviously shortest is best.

The products used to be known as AdslNation (adslnation.com), and the shop is now labelled Tandy.

They appear to be real copper, unlike some of the similar-looking cables (incl. inferior cable from kenable) which are aluminium, or aluminium-with-cooper-coating.

* The adslnation cables have metal bodied plugs, unlike the inferior varieties. I see a wire coming up the side of the plug, and speculate that this might be a drain wire for the shielding/braiding.

Q.: Is this possible/sensible? It would only make sense if the supposed drain wire were connected through the socket body to either an earth or at least to the shielding in the case of the modem.

Burakkucat has pointed out that shielding ideally ought to be grounded. On some of the cables of this type there seems to be no possible way to facilitate this.

One kitizen, AlecR, has had superior results with the Mr Telephones cable made out of Cat6 cable - see ebay. (I myself, and one other kitizen, have had performance and quality problems with this supplier, so test carefully.)

I've recently had an incredibly bad experience due to poor RJ-11 cables killing performance, so that taught me that good cables are critical, on weak signal lines anyway.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 01:11:22 AM by Weaver »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

I do find the CAT6 cables perform ever so slightly better but it's so little that to be honest it's hardly worth thinking about.

I actually prefer using the Tandy cables because they bend much more easily. I find the CAT6 cables far too rigid so they pull and push my router around the table.

I would have no hesitation recommending the Tandy cables.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@AlecR - re Mr Telephones' made-from-CAT6 cable, how did you find the join, or lack of, between the CAT6' screen and the RJ-11 socket, AlecR?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Would you mind rephrasing your question? I'm really tired and it's not making sense to me :(

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

what did the ends of the CAT6 look like?
Was the sequence of twists in the cable maintained right up to the end, right into the sockets?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

No it stops before the socket. The sheath has also come out of the socket now :(

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

Thanks for that link Weaver. My short (but now quite old) ADSLnation cable shielded RJ11 is failing where the outer sheath joins the plug and I'd heard they ceased trading.

I'll be online buying one soon.  :cool:

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@HPSauce  ;D

@AlecR  - my MrTelephone cable simply came apart, by the sound of it in a similar way.

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB

I really like the Tandy DSL cables too.  ;)

ac427

Blimey i thought Tandy had disappeared long ago. I did hear mention of a shop or HQ in Leicester.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

Tandy web shop I should have said. Tandy bought up the adslnation.com website and partially rebranded it. So adslnation.com is the place.

AArdvark

• Kitizen

In 2012, Tandy Corporation Ltd, a UK company, acquired the UK rights to the Tandy brand from RadioShack. It now operates as an on-line retailer of electronic components and kits at tandyonline.co.uk.

It is not the Tandy of old :)

The parent Company in the USA Radioshack went Bankrupt in march this year. All shops now owned by General Wireless.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

@aardvark  - Well I never. Thank you for that. A “where are they now?” solved.

AArdvark

• Kitizen

I remember the original Tandy. It was entertaining when the first pc, laptops and handhelds appeared. Even if they were massively overpriced :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen

I remember a friend having to run to Tandy in York, in 1981, in desperate need of a RAM chip. Tandy charged £4.75, he could have ordered it from Maplin say for £0.75.
Pages: [1] 2

anything