Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Gourock Cabinet 11 don't understand Openreach Lingo....  (Read 12762 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Gourock Cabinet 11 don't understand Openreach Lingo....
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 05:22:48 PM »

Unfortunately you are located just a little bit too far from the "catchment area" [1] of Walter's Wheelbarrow;)

That sort of "pig's ear" of wiring is just waiting for a VDSL2 based service to be activated on the circuit and then it will undoubtedly degrade the service's performance.  :-X

[1] The Surrey Hills and environs.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 03:15:38 PM »

So do you think if I could get the cable bypassing the internal boxes it would be OK, or should I try and get a  new point of access, as suggested in the other thread ?
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:00 PM »

Is the current location of the NTE5/A appropriate for connecting a modem or modem/router directly to a SSFP affixed thereto?

If no, then it would be worthwhile taking the "new point of access" route, as explained by Weaver in the other thread.

If yes, then perhaps you could hire the services of a retired PO/BT/Openreach engineer (look in the classified advertisements of your local paper) to replace all the internal wiring between the NTE5/A and the service feed cable (if you do not feel up to doing it yourself).

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:11 PM »

God I wish there were a retired engineer around my neck of the woods. That would really help me. I wouldn't have to be begging my poor wife to do minute things like plug cables in and unscrewing screws with the electric screwdriver (which is named Walter, German pronunciation), which she loathes.

2pods

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 11:28:03 PM »

Is the current location of the NTE5/A appropriate for connecting a modem or modem/router directly to a SSFP affixed thereto?

If no, then it would be worthwhile taking the "new point of access" route, as explained by Weaver in the other thread.

If yes, then perhaps you could hire the services of a retired PO/BT/Openreach engineer (look in the classified advertisements of your local paper) to replace all the internal wiring between the NTE5/A and the service feed cable (if you do not feel up to doing it yourself).

Site of NTE5 is good enough.
Wire enters house via the lozenge shaped cbox

Does the new cable connect directly from the cable entering the lozenge shaped box ?

If so, could you point me to the method, materials and guide to do this ?

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:09:08 AM by 2pods »
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2015, 11:46:21 PM »

Does the new cable connect directly from the cable entering the lozenge shaped box ?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/2pods/BT%20Sockets/FirstEntrance03.jpg

I remember that picture! That lozenge shaped box is a BT30 (Block Terminal 30) which could date back to the late 1950s. However it does not appear to be the junction between the service feed and the internal wiring. I really need to ask yet more questions --
  • Am I correct in assuming that the cable connected at the lower terminals of the BT30 (as orientated in the picture) "wanders off" & eventually reaches the NTE5/A and the cable that is connected at the upper terminals of the BT30 (which appear to come through a hole in the door frame) proceeds outside?
  • What does that cable "do" at the other side of the door frame? It appears, to me, to be yet another length of CW1308 specification cable. (Internal cable.)
  • Is your service feed aerial or underground?

2pods

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:16 AM »

Lozenge box feeds yet another weird wee box

Then to NTE5

Line runs from a pole to a small gray box on the side of the house. It's too dark to get a photo until tomorrow, the enters the house to the Lozenge box.

I remember having to reattach a wire in the "lozenge" shortly after we moved in, as the line went down
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 12:10:18 AM by 2pods »
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 12:19:32 AM »

Now that you've posted the picture of the BT80 (Block Terminal 80), the weird wee box, I also remember seeing it before.

Basically you would need to replace all of the lengths of cable between the NTE5/A and the small grey box on the side of the house (which I suspect might be a BT66 or a BT16) with one continuous length of CW1308 specification cable, thus doing away with both the BT30 and the BT80.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 12:24:33 AM »

I think officially you would have to get Openreach to do that.

May I suggest raising a fault and telling the attending engineer to fix the wiring?

2pods

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 08:57:02 PM »

Thanks for everyone's help. It's much appreciated.

Anyway here is/was the final pieces of the puzzle.

The pole is in the garden diagonal to me, whose owners I know . Just a pole yes ?

this crosses over to this: and I hope it isn't a shared line with my neighbour through the wall......

.....and here it is on it's merry way to the internal (or infernal) boxes of the devil circa 1950-ish

What fault could I raise (apart from it's ancient) ?
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 09:23:16 PM »

It all belongs to the BT Group and its care & attention is within Openreach's domain.

The grey box is a BT66 and I see two interesting features:
  • There is one black cable from the pole that enters the BT66. There are two black cables that exit the BT66. You have already speculated that the second cable could be your neighbours service feed.
  • Somewhere within your property there must be yet another junction. Why? There is a black cable that leaves the BT66 and enters your property, yet all the cables seen so far have white sheaths.
When you order a FTTC service from your chosen supplier, you could ask for an engineering visit for wiring normalisation. Ideally, you really need to have the cable replaced from the BT66 to the NTE5/A, in one contiguous length. Some of the existing internal wiring is of dubious quality and, if I remember correctly from when we looked at it some years ago, there is a distinct possibility of split legs in the pair. (Instead of one pair of wires twisted together, there is one wire from one pair and the second wire from another pair.)

All in all, it might be best to find a local ex-GPO/BT/Openreach person via the classified advertisements and have her/him perform the re-wire (BT66 to NTE5/A).

2pods

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 09:30:10 PM »

Thanks everyone.

The only thing putting me off about the classifieds is  the number of people claiming to be ex-BT/Openreach etc., but I shall give it a go.

Thanks again.
Peter

2pods

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2015, 12:39:02 PM »

The zombie thread that refuses to die....

Cabinet finally gone live. Order placed with PlusNet for 11/1/2016.
I will ask for wiring normalisation visit, but how to go about it ?

I'll try and raise it on my order first.
Peter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2016, 10:52:45 AM »

The zombie thread that refuses to die....

Cabinet finally gone live. Order placed with PlusNet for 11/1/2016.
I will ask for wiring normalisation visit, but how to go about it ?

I'll try and raise it on my order first.

That's exactly how to do it, when placing your order request the 'Home Wiring Solution' module. If you don't, the chances are the job will be raised as a 'Cab only' task for the engineer, which means you will not receive a visit from the engineer ….. basically it's a 'self-install' package.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2016, 03:33:37 PM »

Hope you don't mind me asking what the heck are those black tubes on 2pods
distribution pole ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything