Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gourock Cabinet 11 don't understand Openreach Lingo....  (Read 12758 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: Gourock Cabinet 11 don't understand Openreach Lingo....
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2016, 03:49:04 PM »

Cable joints

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2016, 04:14:23 PM »

Cable joints

Ahh is that what it looks like up close, never seen one as they are hidden underground here with one at each 100 meters.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2016, 04:35:48 PM »

I see them on poles. Wondered what such a clunky-looking contrivance might be.

2pods

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2016, 09:07:32 PM »

I explained all my worries and woes to Gareth at PlusNet via online chat. He agreed that it all looked pretty bad, but said it would be up to the install engineer when he arrived. When I said as they were sending me a Hub One router, I'd assumed it was an unmanaged install ? He said no, there was an engineer booked. I asked would it be Openreach or a contractor, he said he didn't know. So I then tried to book a wiring normalisation visit, he rightly said that as it wasn't their line they couldn't do it in advance (Line is still BT rental), and only if the install engineer/contractor recommends it.

One day............One day.
 :'(
Peter

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:17 PM »

I asked would it be Openreach or a contractor, he said he didn't know. So I then tried to book a wiring normalisation visit, he rightly said that as it wasn't their line they couldn't do it in advance (Line is still BT rental), and only if the install engineer/contractor recommends it.

One day............One day.
 :'(

In that case get the best bickys out and get or hire a beautiful women in a negligee make sure it's a early appointment and you stay well away just pencil down a note of what you want done and give it to the woman in the negligee and bobs your uncle  ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:05:45 PM by NewtronStar »

2pods

« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2016, 12:15:32 AM »

.....but what if it's a Kelly's contractor.... ;)
 :D :D :D :D :D
Peter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 10:32:15 AM »

Cable joints

Ahh is that what it looks like up close, never seen one as they are hidden underground here with one at each 100 meters.

There are quite a few versions of cable joints we can use, it would generally depend on the cable sizes and/or where the joint is to be sited ?. If it's to go behind the pole capping (that metal thingy at the bottom of the pole), then it would have to be an 'in-line' heat-shrink closure. Above the capping, we can use whatever we feel would be best suited ??.
For obvious reasons, the mechanical range of joints are preferred by the engineer, as they are very easy to open and close, compared to the heat-shrink versions.

Why they are actually on the pole could be for a variety of reasons. In certain areas, we get the mad axe-man who thinks it great to go around chopping our cables. It's far easier and quicker to re-joint the cable, than to run a new one from the nearest underground box to the top of the pole. In these areas, you won't be surprised to see 2 sets of metal capping's fixed to the pole to cover the cable to a greater height.

Another reason could be that a new DP or CP (Telegraph poles) is required, and the planner will request that the 'Spare pairs' that are available at a nearby existing DP, are diverted to the new pole via an overhead aerial cable. The new aerial cable would then have to terminate in a joint on the existing DP to 'Pick up' the spare pairs. Hope that makes sense ??

:)

2pods

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2016, 12:52:31 AM »

Last night's sleep before the great day.  :drink:
Openreach phoned this morning to check that there would be someone in. Between 9.00am and 1.00pm it's all meant to be happening.

Hopefully I will bid a fond adieu to adsl2 and say hello to FTTC. (of, course this in no way will curtail my current wiring stramash. (Unless it's Christmas, and my Openreach operative is full to the brim of my Tunnock's Caramel Logs.)

Thanks for everyone's help, but now I'll have something else to ask about  :P
Peter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2016, 01:34:09 AM »

Hope it goes well for you.  :fingers:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

2pods

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »

Thanks.

It was a very nice Kelly man who said I was the first in that box, and that Id be pleased.
He was right. My laptop was hitting 74mbps right away, but it's like this on this machine

He said the old wiring would be OK ( :hmm:), but did leave me an excellent amount of cable and the box for when I move it, so overall I'm very pleased but still have my doubts about the old wiring.
I'm really loving the speed though  :yay: :yay: :yay:
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 05:08:46 PM by 2pods »
Peter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2016, 04:55:22 PM »

Result !!! Methinks the 84Meg speed was an anomaly, you can only synchronise at 80Meg, so the throughput will always be below this.

Pure pedantry though ...... revel in your new speed sir. Laaaarvaly.  ;D

2pods

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »

I think I meant 74mbps.
I'll correct it now.

I'm running the PlusNet Hub One, but I still have to get a new  tplink vr900 going, and keep the hub for emergencies and handy comparison. I'm also through a tplink AV1200 powerline adaptor which is reasonably speedy too after my old Devolo 250 jobs.
Peter

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »

Hey, no worries buddy.  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything