Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is the latest view on the best Linux Distro to replace Windows 7  (Read 13426 times)

licquorice

• Reg Member
Re: What is the latest view on the best Linux Distro to replace Windows 7
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 04:29:39 PM »

I like Thunderbird as a newsreader but prefer Claws as a mail client.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 05:17:04 PM »

I have recently discovered Thunderbird (again!) as a Newsreader. When I went to Win7 I found Gravity but that didn't seem to play well with my recently installed 64 bit (could have been me) so I tried Thunderbird and it's fine so far. Not used Thunderbird for a mail client as a friend used Outlook when he got Win 7 and so I could help him, I installed it too. It's OK and I use Safe PST Backup, the free version, to give some cover. Over the years I've dickered with changing over completely to Linux but my sticking point has always been the lack of an easy to use DTP like Publisher. Since I edit a Newsletter I would find it very hard to live without Publisher and before you say Scribus I find that not at all friendly. My favourite distro is Mint and I would recommend that for ease of use.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 08:34:36 PM »

tonyappuk,

You have hit the nail on the head; which always gets in the way of a move for me.

There are always *some* Windows programs that you use that you cannot find a good enough replacement for, if at all.

I am thinking that I will simply keep a Windows 7 VM on hot standby with all the vital apps that I need.
I can keep using the stuff I need until I find replacements and over time I will fully migrate away.

I used to use Outlook and had been using it as long as it existed.
One day after failing to fix someones .PST problem, yet again, I cracked and moved to Thunderbird.
I soon got used to it and at least the data files can be accessed in an emergency and data extracted the 'hard' way.

I don't know how good 'wine' currently is but could you run 'Publisher' under wine ?
['wine' allows some Windows Programs to run under Linux .... never used it in anger so don't know how good it is.]

(I am sure someone will chip-in to advise.  ;D :D)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »

Unfortunately for whatever reason Publisher does not work happily with wine (gets a yellow rating I think). I suppose I could run it in a vm but it is another complication which I am loath to accept. I have always thought my multiple booting of old XP and assorted Linux distros would be OK but although I'm fairly convinced my new system uses mbr not UEFI,  I have not yet plucked up courage to re install Grub2 to access all the old system. Luckily for years all my data is stored on separate drives/partitions so that seems safe.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2015, 11:36:40 PM »

tonyappuk,

Once you get the base software setup, running VM's is easy and they work blindingly well.  ;D ;D

If you have access to VMWare\MS Virtualisation s/w it is very easy and so I have read ditto for VirtualBox on Linux which is free, so even better.
VM's are a godsend, I know it is a cheat in one way to avoid totally migrating away from MS but it solves a problem very well.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »

I tried VirtualBox some time ago and it seemed to work but I wasn't comfortable with it. Not tried the MS offering, maybe I should. Thanks.
Tony

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 12:17:22 PM »

My personal bias is the VMware S/W but it depends what you are able to get at the best cost.
I have worked for companies using both VMware and/or MS Hyper-V, it comes down to yet more 'religious' debates. :)

Both very good though.
If you really want to get clever you can run vSphere inside Workstation, vSphere inside vSphere or Hyper-V inside vSphere ....... and so on.)
'Nested Virtualisation' works although not supported by VMware.
(Even though VMware do this in house so I have read in the 'interweb'  :o ;D )

MartinGoose

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:27 PM »

I tried VirtualBox some time ago and it seemed to work but I wasn't comfortable with it.

What was making you uncomfortable? The Linux version works very well here.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2015, 12:49:47 AM »

What was making you uncomfortable? The Linux version works very well here.

That thought did cross my mind but I have not used VirtualBox in Anger, although I have run a pre-packaged virtual app with no problems. (equiv of VMwares 'virtual appliances').

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2015, 01:07:55 AM »

An update on my progress:

I have installed 'Mint'  ;D
Wow!, Linux has improved from my last experience.  ;D ;D :D
Elementary was very good but Mint is very very good !

I appreciate why it is being recommended by everyone.
It would be very easy for a Windows only user to move to and use.
Everything works and all your base apps are installed, windows work more or less as you expect coming from MS Windows.
Very configurable and overall a really good experience for anyone new to Linux.
(A few tweaks to select 'My Favourite apps' but no issues at all, everything would be usable for a newbie by default)

I am really beginning to think a move from Windows is possible for me.  :o :o ;D ;D :D
(Plus point is I get to play with *nix again  ;D ) :yay:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2015, 05:51:15 PM »

I am really beginning to think a move from Windows is possible for me.  :o :o ;D ;D :D
(Plus point is I get to play with *nix again  ;D ) :yay:

I do think someone has seen that there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is possible to escape from the Dark Side:D  :angel:

:dance:  :silly:  :clap:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:31 PM »

burakkucat,
LOL

The problem is I can hear these faint voices, when I close my eyes, calling to me:

"Listen to Bill ..... Don't go towards the light !"

;D ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything