Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL sync speed problem - advice needed  (Read 3162 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
ADSL sync speed problem - advice needed
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:34:57 AM »

I'd be grateful for some advice/whether I should report this to my ISP (Plusnet) as a fault.

My telephone line has had ADSL since 1999 - originally a engineer installed 512K line, later a 2MB line and with ADSL2+ - it achieved between 5.5MB and 6MB (with a number of ISPs, both BTW and LLU) which is also in line with the speeds estimated on the Wholesale dsl checker

Its connected to a samknows box and the latest email they have sent me, shows that the speed fell to around 2MB just after the the start of July. I've been away so didn't notice nor did my family members.

I've just tried rebooting the modem in case it was a one off sync issue but still get this from the modem stats:

Uptime: 0 days, 0:09:52
    DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.3
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,043 / 2,043
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.60 / 29.10
    Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.8 / 0.0
    Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.8 / 74.5
    SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.4 / 2.9

Am currently using the default Plusnet Technicolor TG582n and noticed the Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.8 / 74.5!  :'( - if accurate this has changed- it was around/under 43dB (had to be to get the original BT ADSL engineer install!)

No changes have been made to the wiring and the modem already runs from the test BT master socket via a filter (I've tried a new one)

Can anyone recommend any troubleshooting ideas for me to try? I presume its a line issue rather than at my end..

Ordinarily, I would report this to Plusnet as a fault - but due to the price rises am in the process of switching ISP and moving to FTTC on 17/18 August - so not sure if this should be my first step.. but if a fault is on the line don't want it to go unfixed/affect the fibre connection in due course.

Welcome any ideas/suggestions/advice on what my next steps should be.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: ADSL sync speed problem - advice needed
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:50:36 AM »

With the sort of DS throughput speeds you have experienced in the past, I would have been better to operate the circuit in ADSL2 mode rather than ADSL2+ mode.

From the statistics you have just posted, there are two lines that "stick out" as abnormal --

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.8 / 74.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.4 / 2.9

Have you performed a Quiet Line Test? If yes, what was the result. If no, please make a call to 17070 and take Option 2;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2015, 01:16:06 AM »

Thanks for the reply. It shows just how long I have been out of the game not to think of Quiet Line test..

Have just tried it - but using a DECT (no fixed line phone available right now) - but do think I can hear some noise in the background..

Would you report it now as a voice fault (once confirmed with a fixed phone?) or wait until the (self install) order is done? At the moment, ADSL and line rental are both with Plusnet and both moving to BT..

Also attached is what Samknows showing what happened to my speed..

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 01:27:44 AM »

Amazing what a bit of motivation will do even at 1am in the morning! - found my old corded phone (for emergencies) and do think there is some noise on the line even if not very distinct - I'm assuming I shouldn't be able to hear anything at all.

As such, the question is when should I report it as a fault?

TIA.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 03:11:17 AM »

As soon as. I can't see any reason to wait?
The Sageful Ones may know more...

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:14:04 AM »

Discovered that Plusnet let you run an automated  line test via their website - that came back with no fault found.

Quite happy to call Plusnet and lodge a fault but don't want it to impact on the migration/upgrade to FTTC...

Everytime I reconnect the router, my download speed seems fixed at 2,043.. (DLM?)

Edit: Patience is not one of my virtues so have reported it as a fault- Plusnet are having Openreach come out on Monday.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 09:10:25 AM by gt94sss2 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 02:23:02 PM »

If you definitely hear audible noise when using a classic, wired, telephone plugged directly into the "test socket" of the NTE5/A then you should report it to your telephony service provider as a noisy telephone line and do not make any mention about your broadband service when reporting the defect.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 05:53:34 PM »

An update - someone suggested trying a different router and I managed to dig out my trusty old  DG834G which I stopped using years ago - I think when I moved to Be about 10 years ago - and it produced the following:

DownStream Connection Speed    7060 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed    967 kbps
Line Attenuation    43 db    13.5 db
Noise Margin    3 db    6 db

The stats now look right and while I don't monitor them can't remember the last time it was over 7MB!

However, trying the BT Wholesale speedtest I am still downloading at around 1.5MB (the old sync speed)

Would the reason can't download faster now be due to Plusnet's own systems?

Also, I can hear a hissing or clicking noise with the 17070 Quiet Line test which I guess is a 'good thing' given an Openreach engineer is booked for Monday! (chargeable if no fault etc. or if I cancel the appointment!)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 05:57:35 PM by gt94sss2 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 06:08:54 PM »

DLM will enforce a delay time (assuming you are using BTW, not LLU) before it will allow the delivery of the speed which you expect from your sync rate. There's a table in the main Kitz site of delay time versus sync rate change.

anything