Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Vodafone Considering Nationwide FTTP?  (Read 1651 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Vodafone Considering Nationwide FTTP?
« on: July 25, 2015, 10:20:24 PM »

From the Telegraph -

The chief executive of Vodafone has suggested broadband operators should club together to build an ultrafast broadband network for Britain.

Vittorio Colao said his company would be willing to invest with rivals in laying fibre optics into homes and businesses. It came as he continues to hold talks with Liberty Global that could see Vodafone’s UK mobile network combined with the Virgin Media cable network.

He backed calls for BT to be forced to sell off its network division Openreach, dismissing its plans for a multi-billion pound upgrade to broadband technology, called G.fast, as “yesterday’s vision and the vision of a monopolist”.

G.fast aims to squeeze higher speeds from the copper wires that currently make the final connection into premises, saving billions compared with replacing the wires with fibre optics.

“I think Britain needs more fibre, not more expensive football, which is what is happening now,” said Mr Colao.

Rest of article...

Will there be pressure to spin-off Openreach - http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jul/24/vodafone-shareholder-company-replacing-bt-openreach-fibre-optic

:cool:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: Vodafone Considering Nationwide FTTP?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:38:21 PM »

Presumably only in urban areas where there is already competition.

I think these companies would be surprised with the uptake if they started in rural areas...

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

hmmmm  exactly alec. 

Its headline pulling to say you would invest, but Im not sure how this would impact nationwide.  I have no doubt that these targets will be large towns and cities.     If the likes of TT and Sky cant currently cover all towns with LLU, then what chance would there ever be of such towns getting FTTH.   There's still quite a lot of towns that even now dont have any option other than BTw based adsl, so if the likes of TT dont consider such towns viable for LLU then they are hardly likely to invest in FTTH in those areas. 

It's a pretty well known fact that many towns and areas that wouldnt now have got some form of FTTC if Openreach had been split off.   BTr in particular have always attempted to maintain a same pricing policy for all regardless of area.   Others only target the more densely populated areas where return of income has a faster guarantee.

In a jibe at BT’s massive investment in football broadcasting, Colao said: “It’s important that the UK gets more fibre and not more expensive football.”
Not being a sports fan, this I agree with..  but an important point isn't football broadcasting to do with BTretail anyhow in order to keep up with the offerings of TT & Sky.....   and nothing to do with BTwholesale or BT Openreach.   
Its not BTw nor BToR.. but BTr that is ofsetting line rental to offer BTsport..  so I dont see what difference that makes to any splitting off of Openreach. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:55:23 PM »

Kitz, why would Openreach being split off make any difference to some towns and cities getting FTTC?

As far as I understand, most of these areas are Government-funded so presumably if OR was seperate they would have got the money anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 04:35:30 PM »

As far as I understand, most of these areas are Government-funded so presumably if OR was seperate they would have got the money anyway.

The argument has been done to death in numerous places..  but its not just government money.   
BT have to match or exceed the investment and because they are a company like any other then they have to expect a return of any investment.   I dont have the figures to hand but BTgroup invested many millions of their own funding.    Separating Openreach from the BT group wont bring FTTH to the UK any quicker than in its current format and in fact could/would most likely slow down any roll out.  Its not just BT saying this.. the likes of Saffy etc also know that it will just complicate things and slow down any future investment. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything