Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Site running slow  (Read 29137 times)

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
Re: Site running slow
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2006, 04:21:51 PM »

It's still very hit & miss whether you get a connection or not. Have PN given any credible explaination as to what's wrong yet; they sure haven't fixed it.

Re my email that took a month to arrive. Where was it hiding all that time?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2006, 06:12:04 PM »

Im still nagging them about it astral.
They assigned more connections to the server, but missed the point I'd been making about how sometimes it was a nightmare to be able to connect and also the fact that more often than not I seemed to be shunted towards ccgi02.

Since putting the server script up, Ive noticed that if I hit any other the other servers, then the site will run fine, and can be ok..  but ccgi02 seems to be the one running slow and has a much higher load average.
They have changed something on the loadbalancer today, but as colin pointed out, it seemed like the load balancer was working in reverse and trying to shunt everyone on ccgi02.  :D

PN are still saying they cant seem to replicate this as it all seems to be running ok from there end..  but point being..  yeah hit a server thats fine and things will run sweet.  Im sure that the times when I cant connect are those when Im hitting ccgi02 which is too busy to accept anymore connections.

----------

ok.. just as I was typing this, just checked and have a reply to a question directed at one of the more senior engineers.

With regard to CCGI - we have signoff for more hardware and indeed it's on the Development workstack to buy and build additional servers for the platform.

With regard to CCGI02, we have recognised it to be a problem and over the last few days one of my engineers has been working to identify what's going on with it - he has seen the slowdowns and can see a pattern to them and he's currently investigating what's going on with it.  He's also been doing some tweaking to the way the load balancer works to try and make the platform more... well, balanced!

He and I will continue to work on the open CCGI slowness problem and we'll report back when anything conclusive has been identified.

So it seems they have finally acknowledged a problem with ccgi02  :(
I knew that there had been mention of new hardware for the ccgi platform a couple of months ago, and iirc it is/was next in line after the new mail servers.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2006, 06:29:00 PM »

Thanks to everyone "including late comers" for the title.

I recognised the title straight-away when I saw it, just could not get my thinking straight, I also had a feeling it was by, James Vergain, (close) well I think so.
Again his type of music.

It wont post  :'(
Strange, tried to post 3 times.
Put a smilie in, and it posted instantly.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2006, 02:28:09 AM »

How come the old chap can edit his in here then? Is he an elite member?
(I expect he's paid into the slush fund.)
I am an elite member, I am.  :lol:

Ah, but do you also have the charm and carrisma that oozes from us oldies...?
(Je T'aime Moi Non Plus)  :love: :hug: :dance:

Accordion

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2006, 08:15:18 AM »

How come the old chap can edit his in here then? Is he an elite member?
(I expect he's paid into the slush fund.)
I am an elite member, I am.  :lol:

Ah, but do you also have the charm and carrisma that oozes from us oldies...?
(Je T'aime Moi Non Plus)  :love: :hug: :dance:

I am in the 'oldies' generation myself OF. My charm is well oozed, is yours?   :P

I hope this server problem gets fixed soon. It took about 4 times logging out and back in again to be able to post two replies.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2006, 03:26:02 PM »

If I can return to the actual subject of this thread :police: it seems to me that I always get connected to ccgi02 initially, and if I stay there everything works OK. But often when I click on a link it moves me to a different server, and that's when things begin to seize up again. I suspect that's going to happen with this message, because I'm now on ccgi01 after starting on ccgi02.

(Later) And I was right. It did seize up. This time I'm posting from ccgi02 and I bet it's going to work.

Eric
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2006, 04:51:34 PM »

Kitz,
Just a question, how come I "can't/don't" receive e-mail replies to this topic?

The notifie button is also missing from the bottom of the thread, so I have no choice of selecting notify.
 :no:

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2006, 07:32:58 AM »

Morning all

Well keep everything crossed! The server seems to be going at proper speed again. ;D

Spoke too soon. :'( :'( :'(

Update; After extensive testing, well 10 minutes of hitting the refresh button, the forum does seem to be its old self again, except for very occasional glitches. It is being distributed between all four servers as it should. :)

Update to update; It seems to get stuck when you stay on one page for a minute or two. :(
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 07:54:16 AM by Astral »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2006, 11:24:45 AM »

>>> It seems to get stuck when you stay on one page for a minute or two

mhmm... something Ive noticed too..  stay on a page too long and when you refresh it tries to shunt you back to another server possibly ccg02 again and then the page doesnt load is slow?

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2006, 12:39:13 PM »

hmm  seems much better today??

Havent checked properly yet what they've been doing over the past 24 hours.. but just noticed this SS

Maintenance Window:-
Friday 29th September 8:00am - 9:00am

Detailed description of work to be performed:-
In order to fully investigate the current issues with our CGI platform we are changing the priority of our two ServerIron loadbalancers in Telehouse North.

---
or may be I spoke too soon

just hit a bad patch :/

« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 01:25:13 PM by kitz »
-----

feliscatusx2

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »

Just took me about six goes to log in   :o, but seems nice and quick now  ::)
Some people are like slinkies: they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2006, 02:58:56 PM »

I wonder if this is the problem fixed?

I just logged on "instantly" and made 2 posts/replies and no problems.
Preview is also working quicker. (Take that back) "Fetching preview" even for this post, is taking too long.

Also, still not getting e-mail response to this topic, but I will now check the settings again....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2006, 03:43:18 PM »

phil.. the notifications to this topic may be settings at this end. I'll check in a mo.
This particular forum threads have different permissions than the "main section", since its classed as announcements... in a similar way which accordian noticed that there was no edits.

Been having a look around at hosting elsewhere for the site...  theres no other isps that seem to do included cgi.
The other problem is the main (non cgi) site gets a fair bit of hammer - over 60,000 hits most days, just for the content... add on the cgi/php/sql and well....... :/
So its too big for even basic hosting, nvm ISP hosting.  I used to have paid hosting with another company which I "outgrew" :(
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »

Phil..  changed the settings ..  it was the *non standard* announcements, and the reason why it wasnt following the global rules.

If you guys see anything else like that let me know and I'll see if I can change it.
-----

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2006, 06:27:17 PM »

Thanks Kitz, Notify button is now in place.

I had to give-up after my last post, as I spoke too soon with regards to seemed to be running okay.
"I couldn't get back in"

These things are sent to try us, and I guess your patience is wearing thin with the problem, but take no notice of me moaning commenting on things. (Hopefully you know what I mean) :no:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything