Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Work on already active fibre cab?  (Read 1882 times)

Mark07

• Reg Member
Work on already active fibre cab?
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:39:01 PM »

Hey guys,

Just noticed a couple of roadworks notifications pop up for my fibre cab, which has been active for over a year now, any idea what this work could be for? There's 2 entries, both for the same dates and the same description...

Obviously the PCP is already linked to the fibre cab so could this be for some kind of FTTP maybe?

I asked the openreach superfast where and when people, but I got the "Congratulations your line can order superfast fibre" reply....
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 03:43:17 PM by Mark07 »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Work on already active fibre cab?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »

Probably a 'relief scheme' ?? IE: The existing ports are already used up and they are expanding by putting another couple of 50/100pr cables in ..... and subsequent DSLAM cards.  :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:18:12 PM »

Thanks for the reply BS, however I did think that and checked availability for  my next door neighbors address, and it never mentioned anything about no availability for that cab.

Or do you mean they could be increasing the fibre backhaul to the cab due to congestion or something?

I also saw some dodgy looking fellows poking around in the (jointbox?) the manhole looking BT hole thing in my street, do you think it's worth reporting that to openreach?...

CrazyTeeka

• Reg Member
  • A&A Customer - Home::1TB
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »

Were they BT or Kelly, if not I'd call 101 and report. Then report to OR.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »

Was just a plain white van parked up next to it, connection appears to be fine... I might call them anyway and see if they were aware of any of their contractors doing anything there this morning just to be safe.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:07:00 PM »

Was just a plain white van parked up next to it, connection appears to be fine... I might call them anyway and see if they were aware of any of their contractors doing anything there this morning just to be safe.

BT Security Department -- 0800 321999.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 07:41:03 PM »

Thanks for the reply BS, however I did think that and checked availability for  my next door neighbors address, and it never mentioned anything about no availability for that cab.

I'm pretty sure that if you check a line that has FTTC it will say it's available even if the cabs full, so really you need to use a number or full address that doesn't have FTTC
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 10:55:23 AM »

Thanks for the reply - I spoke to BT security who said they weren't aware of any work being done in my street, but they didn't really seem to care to be honest, especially when I said there was no loss of service...

Good point burakkucat, I'll check a few other addresses in my street.