Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Analysis of upgrade process and existing settings.  (Read 6012 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
Analysis of upgrade process and existing settings.
« on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:42 PM »

Ok I did the following on my testing rig.

Installed windows 7 SP1 pro clean installation
Activated with a win7 pro key.
Did not install any updates.
Deliberatly applied customisations to the OS

The following changes were made to see what the upgrade preserves.

2 registry tweaks.
Added quick launch to toolbar at left next to start menu
Increased toolbar height to 2 rows
Set toolbar icons to small size
Set my custom network group name
Enabled system tray icons to always show.
Disabled remote assistance and enabled remote desktop
No nvidia display driver or any other custom drivers installed.
Disabled auto restart on OS crash.

Downloaded the media creation tool

Ran it in upgrade mode and chose to preserve apps and settings.

(didnt waste my time on what seems to be a broken windows update system).

3-4 reboots later it was done and windows 10 installed.

It is now an activated version of windows 10 pro.
quick launch is still intact.
small icons still intact
all system tray icons are not hidden
custom workgroup name is intact
remote desktop and assistance settings intact
Auto restart config intact.
However the 2 registry tweaks were overwritten with defaults.
toolbar height was reverted to 1 row

I will be activating insider on the test pc again, shame I had to use up a license to get it activated.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 09:53:24 PM by Chrysalis »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: Analysis of upgrade process and existing settings.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:46 PM »

Hopefully you had some non-MS apps as that's what worries me the most? I have no interest whatsoever in the Windows 10 apps that come with it...

What happened to them and, most importantly, if they survived, did their original Registry settings also survive?

Um, I now see you didn't...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 11:37:20 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 02:21:27 AM »

sorry I didnt as I was already peed off having to do this method after my insider build lost activation.

But given the option said to preserve apps they should be preserved.

I removed the win10 app from my main pc now and will also remove from laptop, as its clear it isnt needed to do the free upgrade (it also covertly downloaded win10 to my c: drive a week ago whilst only saying still reserved) :D

Just use the media creator tool to upgrade instead, you dont get put in any stupid queue or have any background app running, it immediately downloads on your demand.

The 2 registry tweaks were an adjustment to the menu delay time, and to display the windows version number on desktop.

Bear in mind due to the itch I feel I will update my laptop within a week probably and that does have 3rd party software.  But now I know registry tweaks are not preserved I am going to have to spend some time first exporting them so I can reimport after the upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:27:22 AM by Chrysalis »

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:31:57 AM »

Re: Non-MS Applications
MS do carry over installed applications that are not their own but they have a list of Allowed and Not-allowed apps which they process your PC against as part of the upgrade.
You are presented with a list of applications that will not be migrated over at the end of the install.
e.g. I used Daemon Tools to mount .ISO and it was not migrated over on a test PC.

I don't know if there is a list of apps anywhere that are considered 'Not Win10 Friendly' or more likely not liked by MS.
This is in line with the attempt by MS to control what can and cannot run on Win 10 to emulate the control Apple have.
I expect this will get more and more pronounced as time goes on and Win 10 Users are locked in.

Never joined the Insider Beta Test and have seen nothing in my recent 'googlings' so to speak. :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 07:16:23 AM »

Thanks for the comments.

I just spotted you can check before upgrading anyway - bring up the Win 10 popup from the tray, click on the three horizontal bars and select Check your PC

That gives the attached answer for me, assuming it's being truthful   :-\
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 08:01:19 AM »

except that popup app is junk here :) doesnt work.

Its possible the media creation tool when updating checks apps as well before proceeding.

I agree with asrdvark that microsoft's end game is a walled garden.

When win8 was released microsoft tried to claim the desktop interface at that point was on its way out and only kept for legacy apps, but thankfully the market rejected that notion and they were forced to keep it in windows 10, but once enough people have moved over we will see them get confident enough to make negative changes, and it will be hard for people to avoid those changes due to the lockdown of the updates.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 08:17:01 AM »

except that popup app is junk here :) doesnt work.

Its possible the media creation tool when updating checks apps as well before proceeding.

I agree with asrdvark that microsoft's end game is a walled garden.

When win8 was released microsoft tried to claim the desktop interface at that point was on its way out and only kept for legacy apps, but thankfully the market rejected that notion and they were forced to keep it in windows 10, but once enough people have moved over we will see them get confident enough to make negative changes, and it will be hard for people to avoid those changes due to the lockdown of the updates.

Doesn't popup?
Tony
My Books!

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2015, 08:25:03 AM »

I guess you missed my other posts and screenshots?

it pops up but is in perma please wait state.

Uninstalled the junk now of both my pc and laptop, it isnt needed at all for the free upgrade.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »

Easiest way to install & update is to use the Retail ISO that was linked to somewhere on kitz ... sorry forgot where.

If you mount the .ISO or 'burnt to disc copy' in Win7 and run setup it will install.

As long as you have a properly registered copy of Win 7 it will work and should activate as well. :)

I did it on a test PC but wanted to see what the 100% original Experience was from Microsoft, as they intend all users to upgrade.

These are the keys you should end up registered with:

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7

Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT

Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

AFAIK:
It appears everyone is getting registered with these keys, so no more passing keys etc around for the naughty people.
Your activation is a unique Machine ID which no doubt was calculated by the GWX.exe stuff downloaded to your Windows machine.
When you registered interest in the free upgrade MS recorded the Unique machine ID.
Change too much on your machine and your unique machine ID will not match ?!
That will be interesting as I change hardware quite a lot. Always chopping & changing configs etc.
I wonder if the Unique machine ID is checked periodically or when major updates are made. ?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 09:37:07 AM »

Er I thought you said you had fixed it...  Sorry

I'm currently trying to remove all traces of Win 10's existence from this PC but seems impossible - I have two PCs that sleep and have suddenly started waking up every 15 mins for no apparent reason after months of sleeping all night so trying to eliminate this as a reason (the wake event doesn't know what causes it). The start of the wakeups seems to coincide with the completion of the upgrade download. Both machines are set to never check for updates.

Removing the appropriate KB3035583 still leaves you with the tray icon announcing you can get the upgrade.  Killing the GWX process gets rid of it but it comes back after wake from sleep or hibernate or a restart.

So is there another KB update that sets this off, and if so, how to get rid of it?

I suppose you have also spotted that the upgrade totally removes any child protection stuff you have and putting it back is quite a process...
Tony
My Books!

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 09:58:20 AM »

I suppose you have also spotted that the upgrade totally removes any child protection stuff you have and putting it back is quite a process...

Mentioned this in my 'Win 10 Vent' post update, as I read it in 'The Register' this morning.

Re: Win 10 eradication problem see this http://www.groovypost.com/howto/remove-annoying-windows-10-upgrade-notification/
Note there is a 'I don't want Windows 10' app to do all this :)

I seem to remember that there is some difficulty in getting rid of the MS Ad / Win 10 Free update stuff as it knits itself into your machine quite well.
MS are sure you want it really and will do all they can to prevail. :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 07:24:22 PM »

Er I thought you said you had fixed it...  Sorry

I'm currently trying to remove all traces of Win 10's existence from this PC but seems impossible - I have two PCs that sleep and have suddenly started waking up every 15 mins for no apparent reason after months of sleeping all night so trying to eliminate this as a reason (the wake event doesn't know what causes it). The start of the wakeups seems to coincide with the completion of the upgrade download. Both machines are set to never check for updates.

Removing the appropriate KB3035583 still leaves you with the tray icon announcing you can get the upgrade.  Killing the GWX process gets rid of it but it comes back after wake from sleep or hibernate or a restart.

So is there another KB update that sets this off, and if so, how to get rid of it?

odd when I uninstalled the update it did get rid of it, but i uninstalled via KUC so maybe that does some extra steps.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2015, 08:02:17 PM »

Still no update to windows 10 on Win8.1 two updates have come in as KB2976978 and KB3075853 they are optional and asking for a restart it seems they are related to update software.

I won't know until I restart the pc for these updates to go through  :-\

•KB 2976978 -- The compatibility update for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 "performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program in order to determine whether compatibility issues may be encountered when the latest Windows operating system is installed." That surprised me a bit, because I didn't realize people who ran the Windows 10 compatibility scan were, in fact, opting in to the CEIP. This patch, too, has a long history: first released on July 8, 2014, re-released five times in 2014 and six times in 2015. I don't have any records of it causing problems.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 08:25:28 PM by NewtronStar »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 10:14:33 PM »

newt if you waiting and want to upgrade now,google for windows 10 media creation tool.

download it and run it, you can upgrade then when you want.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »

newt if you waiting and want to upgrade now,google for windows 10 media creation tool.

download it and run it, you can upgrade then when you want.

Don't really want Win10 as Win8.1 feels better than the Win10 preview it's this update process that's has me intrigued  ;)
Pages: [1] 2