Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi  (Read 34462 times)

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2015, 10:13:28 AM »

To keep it simple you need to be using the same subnet on the HG612 LAN2 port as the rest of your LAN. So you can either change the subnet (and DHCP) on the router from 192.168.0.* to 192.168.1.* or (and this is the easier option) change the HG612 LAN2 IP address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.nnn where nnn is an address not currently in use on your LAN and preferably also outside of the DHCP range (you change it in the basic settings LAN).
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2015, 10:16:43 AM »

You posted again while I was typing.

Yes that would be fine. I'd be tempted to make the router 192.168.1.254 which is used by a lot of other routers.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

AngelRex

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »

You posted again while I was typing.

Yes that would be fine. I'd be tempted to make the router 192.168.1.254 which is used by a lot of other routers.

Cheers :)

I used the latest HG612 firmware with only telnet, not HTTP access and CBA to re-flash, so it would be easier to change router. ty again.

LaurieR

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2015, 06:15:16 PM »

@LaurieR: I think I have a solution (it works here on my RPi mark 2):

1. Remove the dslstats line from /home/pi/.config/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart/

2. Open Leafpad and create a file called dslstats.desktop as below. Save it in /home/pi/.config/autostart/  (not in the directory mentioned above)

Contents of dslstats.desktop:

Code: [Select]
[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DSLstats
Exec=/home/pi/dslstats/dslstats

Save this file, then reboot the RPi.

Finally sorted. I reinstalled Jessie to undo my previous tinkering, added your desktop script and that runs without errors.
However I wasn't getting a dslstats window even though the task was running and updating MyDSLWebStats.
I suspect that's because the desktop was still initialising when it starts. So instead of calling the dslstats executable directly as above, I call a shell script:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 10
/home/pi/dslstats/dslstats

- and that works.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2015, 06:45:02 PM »

Well done :)
  Eric

LaurieR

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

Contents of dslstats.desktop:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=DSLstats
Exec=/home/pi/dslstats/dslstats
... Only snag was that the desktop environment was initialising before the network was up (I’m supposing) and DSLstats complained that it could not check MyDSLWebStats details. I got round this by placing my own script in the ~/.config/autostart/dslstats.desktop file and invoking DSLstats from that after a little sleep time.  :sleep: Crude I know, but I couldn’t be bothered to code anything more precise to check the network was up.  :)

I mentioned in another thread having exactly that problem with my new Pi 3, which I thought I'd sorted but then it came back. Then I happened to spot the "wait for network" setting in the boot configuration. This wasn't ticked by default, but with it on I've not had a problem since.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2016, 03:08:52 PM »

That's useful to know, thank you.
  Eric

LaurieR

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2016, 06:02:17 PM »

Looks like it's only been there since a December 2015 update.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/latest-raspbian-update/ and down a bit.

MikeZ

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2016, 01:53:44 PM »

I'm expecting my Raspberry Pi 3 to be delivered today. I've been running DSLstats on Windows 10 - can I use the config file from the Windows installation on the Pi, or would it be better just to set DSLstats up from scratch?

Thanks in advance...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2016, 02:29:19 PM »

I haven't actually thought about that, but I think setting it up from scratch would be safer. The config file (dslstats.ini) includes some directory paths, and of course the path separator is different between the two OSs, so it might have strange effects.
  Eric

MikeZ

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2016, 02:35:20 PM »

I haven't actually thought about that, but I think setting it up from scratch would be safer. The config file (dslstats.ini) includes some directory paths, and of course the path separator is different between the two OSs, so it might have strange effects.

Thanks - I would edit it first to change things like that (and remove carriage returns). I might try it anyway and see what happens :)

I should add that Linux is my day job, so I'm comfortable playing around with it like this...
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:37:29 PM by MikeZ »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2016, 06:23:12 PM »

The simplest way might be to save the configuration file from the M$ Doze system, start DSLstats on the R-Pi and save the default configuration.

Then compare the two files, editing the latter with the relevant data from the former.

Finally put the new configuration file where the R-Pi version will expect to see it.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MikeZ

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2016, 07:11:14 PM »

The simplest way might be to save the configuration file from the M$ Doze system, start DSLstats on the R-Pi and save the default configuration.

Then compare the two files, editing the latter with the relevant data from the former.

Finally put the new configuration file where the R-Pi version will expect to see it.  ;)

Yes, that's exactly my plan :) Pi has just been delivered so will be getting to work soon :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2016, 09:09:50 PM »

Yes, that's exactly my plan :) Pi has just been delivered so will be getting to work soon :)

Just purrfect!
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

MikeZ

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2016, 09:32:38 PM »

OK, so everything is set up and working fine. Just need to set it up to auto start on boot. In the end I decided to configure from scratch, just in case it got confused about what was in the local data files that it creates.

One oddity is that when setting up email alerts, nothing happens if I press the Test button - i.e. no test email is sent, no error message or anything. I don't know whether this means that email alerts won't work, or just that the Test button doesn't work. Any ideas?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7