Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi  (Read 34324 times)

LaurieR

Re: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2015, 11:34:41 AM »

All I can think is that something is trying to launch DSLstats from some other source. Have you been experimenting with other autostart methods perhaps?

Yes but "experimenting" would make it sound like I knew what I was doing. "Blundering around" would be more accurate.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2015, 11:49:52 AM »

Thank you for the tip. :thumbs: I have implemented this on my Pi 2 Model B and it is working fine. Only snag was that the desktop environment was initialising before the network was up (I’m supposing) and DSLstats complained that it could not check MyDSLWebStats details. I got round this by placing my own script in the ~/.config/autostart/dslstats.desktop file and invoking DSLstats from that after a little sleep time.  :sleep: Crude I know, but I couldn’t be bothered to code anything more precise to check the network was up.  :)

Dont know if the version of linux on the RPi has it but on my linux there is a service called NetworkManager-wait-online.service which allows the system to wait for the network to come up during boot so that things which need the network active can start OK. I use it to make sure Samba works OK. It might slow booting slightly but has the advantage of not having to mess with stuff which cant find a network connection at the time it needs it.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:18 PM »

It's a good suggestion, Stuart, but the RPi doesn't use Network Manager. It uses the simpler ifup/ifdown system.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2015, 05:57:29 PM »

It's a good suggestion, Stuart, but the RPi doesn't use Network Manager. It uses the simpler ifup/ifdown system.

As is obvious I dont have an RPi  ;)

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

AngelRex

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2015, 12:59:57 AM »

I am about to set up a pi with my hg612.

Currently, my hacked 612 isn't bridged, I just connect to lan2 running dslstats on a laptop.

To get the pi to upload to dslwebstats will it need to be bridged? Or will it just output to web?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2015, 07:47:47 AM »

How is your HG612 configured, i.e. as a simple modem or as a modem/router? If it's a modem/router then you should have no problems, and you can go ahead and upload data to MDWS. But if it's a modem only, then you are presumably using a firewall in the laptop, and you'll need to configure that appropriately. If you're not using a firewall, then you're very exposed.
  Eric

AngelRex

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2015, 11:29:12 AM »

How is your HG612 configured, i.e. as a simple modem or as a modem/router? If it's a modem/router then you should have no problems, and you can go ahead and upload data to MDWS. But if it's a modem only, then you are presumably using a firewall in the laptop, and you'll need to configure that appropriately. If you're not using a firewall, then you're very exposed.

I'm on SKY fibre so use the HG612 as a modem only, it connects up to the SR102 router.

I have the laptop RJ45 port connected to lan 2 for DSLwebstats.

The laptop wifi connects to the SR102 router to get internet.

I've just got a PI.  I want to connect the PI to LAN2 to get stats, I'm just wondering how I get this out. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »

You shouldn't have two instances of DSLstats running at the same time, even if they're on different machines, so it would seem that the simplest solution would be to disconnect the laptop from LAN2 on the HG612, and replace it with the Raspberry Pi.

If you want both machines to have access to the stats, then a cheap switch connected to LAN2 would do the job.
  Eric

AngelRex

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2015, 01:15:32 PM »

You shouldn't have two instances of DSLstats running at the same time, even if they're on different machines, so it would seem that the simplest solution would be to disconnect the laptop from LAN2 on the HG612, and replace it with the Raspberry Pi.

If you want both machines to have access to the stats, then a cheap switch connected to LAN2 would do the job.

Ok, I think i either haven't explained properly or it didnt read well.........

I want to replace the laptop with the PI.

If I disable the laptop wifi and just have the rj45 connected it wont access the internet.

When I replace the Laptop with the PI, how do i get it to connect?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2015, 03:01:30 PM »

It's possible to configure the HG612 so that you can get the internet and stats over the same interface. I've no experience of doing this, but there's some information here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm#bridge with links to more information. I don't know if this works with the HG612 in modem mode.
  Eric

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2015, 03:44:29 PM »

Can't you just connect LAN2 on the HG612 to a port on SR102 and then connect the Pi to another port on the SR102?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

AngelRex

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2015, 05:48:26 PM »

Can't you just connect LAN2 on the HG612 to a port on SR102 and then connect the Pi to another port on the SR102?

To connect to the lan port 2, you need to be on a static IP.  I didnt think that, connecting the static LAN2 to the DHCP router would work.....

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »

LAN2 is on the LAN side of the modem - static IP applies to the WAN side of the modem so I can't see how that could be relevant.

As long as the router is set to exclude the LAN IP address of the modem from the DHCP range I can't see what the issue is?
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

AngelRex

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2015, 09:49:36 AM »

LAN2 is on the LAN side of the modem - static IP applies to the WAN side of the modem so I can't see how that could be relevant.

As long as the router is set to exclude the LAN IP address of the modem from the DHCP range I can't see what the issue is?

SR102 is set to DHCP. (range 192.168.0.1)

HG612 LAN1 is plugged into port 4 on SR102.

To access the HG612 the laptop, via LAN2, HAS to have a static IP 192.168.1.100.

So, if what you are saying is correct, I should have set up like this :

HG612 LAN1 -------> SR102 LAN4 ---> DHCP to wireless & other wired devices

HG612 LAN2 -------> SR102 LAN3 ---> To retrieve DSLstats from the LAPTOP can the laptop connected to the wireless DHCP connect to the LAP port when browsed to http://192.168.1.1 OR does the laptop have to be connected via the RJ45 to the SR102 lan ports to connect to 192.168.1.1?

AngelRex

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »

OR....

Do I have to change my router to 192.168.1.2 & set the DHCP 192.168.1.3-254

then simply plug the LAN2 on hg612 into the router and the PI into the router too
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

anything