Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi  (Read 34323 times)

jamesfoley

DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi
« on: August 04, 2015, 10:42:54 PM »

So I've finally managed to get my HG612 unlocked and working with my router and figured I'd get it setup with a raspberry pi to log to MyDslWebStats. Everything works fine in Windows (DSLstats and pushing data to MyDslWebStats), and the DSLstats app works fine on the Pi, but it doesn't actually push any information to MyDslWebStats.

Could I be missing something at all?

The Pi is running a clean install of Raspbian if thats of any help.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: DSLstats with a Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 11:01:22 PM »

DSLstats does work with Raspbian, including uploading to MDWS. If the latter doesn't work, then assuming you've set it up correctly, the most likely explanation is a permissions issue. By default, the MDWS files are saved in /home/pi/.dslstats/mydslwebstats. You need to make sure that this directory exists and that it is writeable by the normal user (pi).
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 11:12:40 PM »

Make sure you have ticked upload data to MyDSLWebStats in the MyDSLWebstats configuration tab on DSLstats on the RPI and the username and validation key is correct (green)

jamesfoley

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:20:49 PM »

Cheers for your help guys, not really sure what was up, but chmodding the directory roseway mentioned to 777 seems to have fixed it  :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 11:26:08 PM »

Cheers for your help guys, not really sure what was up, but chmodding the directory roseway mentioned to 777 seems to have fixed it  :)

That's good JF and can see your stats on MDWS building up  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 07:07:55 AM »

Thanks for confirming that. DSLstats creates that directory, so I need to have another look at the code that does this, as it seems there may be something not working quite right. It's too late for the next release, which I'm just about to make, but I'll check it out afterwards.
  Eric

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 09:02:50 AM »

Is there an idiots guide to installing DSLStats on a Raspberry Pi from scratch available please?

jamesfoley

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 10:26:25 AM »

For me it was just a case of extracting the contents of the download from the DSLStats site and running the executable. I'm running my Pi headless with tightvncserver which seems to work fine, though for some reason it has stopped uploading this morning. I was faffing with my router this morning so the chances are I've just not plugged the Pi back in.

It would be cool if you could run DSLStats as a service without a gui though, so something you could install over ssh.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »

It would be cool if you could run DSLStats as a service without a gui though, so something you could install over ssh.
That's been asked before but it's not going to happen as far as I know.

What would be nice would be a zip file that I could just unzip onto an SD card and put in the RPi which would come with an operating system, tightvnc and maybe a few instructions, and just work.

jamesfoley

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »

That wouldn't actually be too hard to do to be honest. I can always take an image of my SD card and upload it if you'd like?

At the moment its a base Raspbian image with DSLStats on the desktop and tightvnc installed. Would just be a case of writing the image to your SD card, shoving it in the Pi and connecting to the VNC server. Though I could probably write a step by step guide to get everything working using a normal Raspbian image and a few ssh commands, as I know randomly uploading an image is a bit sketchy.

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 11:58:27 AM »

That sounds exactly what I want :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »

This is a great offer, JF. I'll be happy to host anything you produce on my website (fully credited of course) if that's useful.
  Eric

jamesfoley

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 02:57:24 PM »

Sounds like a plan, I'll put something together tonight when I'm home from work  :)

sovking

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 11:53:15 PM »

It could be nice if dslstats could run just with webserver or for uploading data, without the need to keep X window up, like a daemon.
Just provide the right configuration file, the help file to edit it and run!

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:08 AM »

That would also be something I would be interested in, jamesfoley. Thank you for the kind offer :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

anything