Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BTW Naked xDSL products  (Read 3550 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
BTW Naked xDSL products
« on: August 04, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

I read this article
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/08/sky-broadband-shows-interest-in-naked-fttc-fibre-broadband-service.html

about how BT are going to offer DSL wholesale without the need to pay POTS line rental in addition. This is great news, a real money saver, for those of us who don't use our copper pair for telephones, just internet alone.

I believe, if memory serves, that RevK of A&A mentioned the possibility of BTW doing this on his blog www.revk.uk.

Now all we need is for our ISPs to offer it and pass on the savings to us. I'm sure that A&A are wanting to do this asap.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BTW Naked xDSL products
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »

If my failing memory serves, this has been in the pipeline for a few years ?? Isn't the issue emergency calls or something that's holding things up ?? May be completely off-track and haven't got the energy to go searching the net.  :)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »

I believe the idea is to stop referring to it as a telephone service and emphasise that it's just a copper pair for xDSL. Need to get people out of last-century thinking.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:27:19 PM »

see also (slightly off-topic):-

http://www.revk.uk/2015/07/new-ofcom-superpowers.html

mrpops2ko

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:18:21 AM »

I really like this change too. The only thing though is that it will probably result in us paying more or the same.

The current method that is employed by providers is to overcharge you on line rental (which subsidises broadband) and to overcharge you on calls (which also subsidises broadband).

What I think will happen is that broadband price will stay pretty much the same or slightly less than what it is currently.

I really like the idea of getting out of the mentality of needing a phone line though - maybe this will see a rise in price competitive phone line providers? with decent call pricing as PAYG, rather than an additional monthly monetary cost.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 12:49:35 AM »

@mrpops2ko  - I hear what you say.

A&A, my own ISP, have possibly committed themselves to cutting prices now, following what RevK, the boss, has written on the Internet in his blog www.revk.uk.

A&A charge I think £10 (+VAT ??) p/m. So for me that's over 3 * £10 p/m just in totally useless unwanted line rental, as I have three copper pairs, for ADSL only.

I could definitely do without that.

lcl00

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:59:47 AM »

I suspect one of the reasons that this is now being suggested as a product offering is to save Openreach money by reducing the requirement to run as many E side copper cables seeing as their future value is rapidly falling away as more customers ditch the landline and use FTTC based services.

I, for one, am looking forward to this given that I have 4 lines and only use 1 for voice!

While this is now quite outdated... I remember years ago there was talk of the voice tones (along with the associated guard bands) being used for upstream bandwidth.  Obviously this would be miniscule (about 256k, if I remember correctly), but it might serve a purpose for DSL based services from the cabinet for those at a great distance.  It all looks very positive from the outset, which is likely why BT haven't bothered to use it.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:44:09 AM »

@lcl00  - would that be n lines _bonded_?

> there was talk of the voice tones (along with the associated guard bands) being used for upstream bandwidth. 

Would that be appendix i or j or something, I forget? Presumably BT can't do it presently, but I would snap it up, given that I'm so desperate for US bandwidth.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:22:47 PM by Weaver »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:50:39 AM »

Bad News

RevK, from A&A, just told me that he believes progress at BTW is very slow on this, and doesn't expect to see anything until 2017!

Damn.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »

:/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything