Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI modem Screws up my connection  (Read 4629 times)

tommy45

• Reg Member
ECI modem Screws up my connection
« on: August 04, 2015, 08:29:35 AM »

After using the huawie HG612 for months, I decided to use the ECI for a while  seeing at BT have fixed/botched the issues it had with G.inp by disabling it on the upstream, I powered off the HG612 some 2 days ago waited just over the 30 mins before powering the ECI ,  got a sync  latency was normal. as expected, the IP profile was 77.28 instead of the 77.35 figure it had been with the HG612 in use,

So nothing further to report  other than normal working, until what looks like DLM  at around 5am this morning when the ECI lost sync
I found the connection  modem looked to be in sync but no internet, the router logs showing pppoe lost at 5.14am  and was still trying to connect , when i discovered the connection was down just before 8am

So i swapped the modem back to the huawei and  powered it up and after it got a sync the router got a PPPOE session , then i find that G.inp has been removed  and i have a interleaved profile DS only  with a ip profile of  69.62mbps So the ECI still doesn't work properly with the way DLM has been botched it would seem, my stats don't seem to be as they should be either
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:08:17 AM by tommy45 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: ECI modem Screws up my connection
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »

So, is the ECI just a rubbish modem then?

Perhaps DLM has punished you temporarily for swapping modems - It has done that to me in the past, I'm reasonably sure.

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »

So, is the ECI just a rubbish modem then?

Perhaps DLM has punished you temporarily for swapping modems - It has done that to me in the past, I'm reasonably sure.
It has never done so before, My ISP Zen provisions FTTC orders using the BT OR Speed /BTW Standard DLM profile  as did my previous isp ,
Besides i made sure there was a 30mins gap between powering down the Huawei and powering up the ECI , so DLM should of seen as a forced EU resync , the difference in modem shouldn't cause DLM to do anything unless there's some form of incompatibility, which from the performance  seen i would say the ECI worked as it should , So i'm at a loss,

One possibility is that DLM decided to try and add G.inp on the us, but modem is incompatible (which we know) so reverts to a default interleaving profile ,

It's trigger could of been a marked increase in error seconds with ECI ? But seeing as BT locked the POS down  there's no definite answer,
Then there's what would cause the modem to appear to be in sync ie led's lit, (power,dsl,lan1) but no internet access(active PPPOE session)  Similar to ECI modem - Issue 1 http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,15283.msg284199.html#post_ECI_modem_issue1

But the ECI was in use up till 16 march 15 , when G.inp was enabled on the cab in connected to, My connection had been interleaved on the DS only for 2weeks prior and as a result of G.inp being enabled i saw my DS speed and ip profile drop further,and a doubling of latency, with the ECI connected,

After swapping to the Huawei, 2 days later Ginp was applied to both us/ds latency back to normal, and sync back to the full rate, So it is very odd that encountered this no sync issue
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 10:22:00 AM by tommy45 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 12:16:54 PM »

leaving modems and xDSL lines aside for the moment, isn't there some known issue with Zen and PPP? Vague memory from some earlier threads. (I may be way off on this, if so apol.)

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:33:05 PM »

leaving modems and xDSL lines aside for the moment, isn't there some known issue with Zen and PPP? Vague memory from some earlier threads. (I may be way off on this, if so apol.)
I have never had any issue with pppoe with zen, I think someone did have an issue but that was down to the non standard  firmware and set up of the router

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 12:35:51 PM »

It's just that reading
> what would cause the modem to appear to be in sync ie led's lit, (power,dsl,lan1) but no internet access(active PPPOE session)

made me think along those lines. :-)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 07:33:01 PM »

Yeah I got the g.inp email and I thought tommy wont be happy :p

My guess is this, the DLM somehow detected the chipset change, and the process will temporarily turn of g.inp then turn it back on in future, we will only know if I am right tho if you keep the ECI plugged in.

I am baffled as to why you changed it tho, as why mess with something that isnt broken?

Given BT are now using g.inp and vectoring remains a possibility I really suggest everyone sticks with broadcom devices.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 07:36:24 PM »

@Chrysalis - indeed. Surely you have to be right on this

tommy45

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 01:13:46 AM »

Yeah I got the g.inp email and I thought tommy wont be happy :p

My guess is this, the DLM somehow detected the chipset change, and the process will temporarily turn of g.inp then turn it back on in future, we will only know if I am right tho if you keep the ECI plugged in.

I am baffled as to why you changed it tho, as why mess with something that isnt broken?

Given BT are now using g.inp and vectoring remains a possibility I really suggest everyone sticks with broadcom devices.

I changed it because my stats where trending in a downwards direction. when i first plugged the eci in latency was the same , so presumably was running g.inp on the ds, 2 days in and  suddenly it ain't in sync after 4hrs of being left to it's own devices,
as soon as i plugged in the Huawie  after it got a sync, i got internet access without doing anything with the router
About 10 mins ago (12:37am) I got a loss of sync and DLM has lowered the upstream power from 4.3  to 3.8, the Snr is sitting at 6- 5.9db, sync has increased slightly although interleave has increased  a little, IP profile has increased also Just noticed the time from DLM pulling the connection down to the point of getting a PPPOE session was 7mins ,?

Update: DLM acting twice in 12hrs  At 6:50am  DLM re enabled G.inp on the DS  same G.inp values as before, but a slight improvement on the DS snr and attainable rate
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 09:06:45 AM by tommy45 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 01:29:04 AM »

Just seen this

I found the connection  modem looked to be in sync but no internet, the router logs showing pppoe lost at 5.14am  and was still trying to connect , when i discovered the connection was down just before 8am

My guess is that during that period the ECI kept trying and failing to establish a connection.  This would trigger a failed initialisation.   Unfortunately failed initialisations are also counted by the DLM as a retrain attempt :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »

I didn't think the Internet side of the connection affected the DLM in any way at all?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »

@AlecR - it's referring to the initialisation of the DSLAM-to-modem link