Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Bufferbloat and Firebrick 2500  (Read 12656 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Bufferbloat and Firebrick 2500
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 11:02:24 PM »

I'm still not too convinced about doing QoS at your router on the downstream, it seems a bit late by the time the traffic has already reached your router.

Surely this has to be correct, You need to do QoS at each hop, as it can be mucked up effectively at any stage if you're sufficiently unlucky.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »

Most people think only the sender can manipulate how fast data is sent, they forget the receiver controls the receive window.

e.g. use a ftp client that can set the receive window, set it something small like 4k and watch your tiny download speeds :)

For this reason a cheap and easy method of QoS can be to disable auto tcp tuning on vista+, which caps the receive window to 64k.  That will generally give you much better latency whilst downloading on that windows client although it will also cap speeds when the latency is high enough from the server.

Auto tuning on highlyrestricted caps it to 256k, I used to run like that for quite a long while as it still allows highish speeds on latency ranges up to about 100-150ms.

Restricted and normal will cap it at 2mb, experimental raises the cap to 16mb.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 11:09:51 PM by Chrysalis »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »

Most people think only the sender can manipulate how fast data is sent, they forget the receiver controls the receive window.

Indeed. Good point. But only of course assuming that there are no protocols other than TCP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »

Yeah with UDP the rules change, but there is a way with UDP because on a torrent client you can set a downspeed limit which does work on UDP traffic.

richb-hanover

• Just arrived
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2015, 02:39:33 PM »

@richb-hanover typo in that url back there btw

Its good that you are able to fix problems using the right sw design in your own router. Was the bloat problem located right inside your openwrt device or further upstream? I'm not understanding.

@Weaver - thanks for catching the typo - it should be www.dslreports.com/speedtest

re: Where's the bloat? In 2015, I operate under these assumptions:
- your connection to your ISP is the bottleneck link, and
- your router has bufferbloat, unless you use something like fq_codel or PIE (in Docsis 3.1 cable modems) to prevent it.

So, fixing bufferbloat in your own router is always a good strategy.

That leaves aside the question of whether your ISP (or their providers) has congestion/bloat. If you're still seeing big latency at certain times of the day (after debloating your own router), then you need to complain to your ISP.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »

I cant recall for certain, but I thought that in days of old at least http was supposed to be prioritised over ICMP.   Ive seen times where certain routers would show a slight increase in latency, but since all would be fine again at a later hop, I took this as a sign that ping was given a lesser priority.

>> sky my pings improved massively during downloading,

One thing I wont disagree with is that Sky has better peering/transit points
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2015, 01:15:45 PM »

I find TalkTalk also has very good peering.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2015, 09:09:37 PM »

kitz you may have misunderstood what I meant.

I dont mean the ping times to destination servers.

I mean how much my latency increases whilst I am downloading, so in other words how much it affects other activities whilst I am downloading.  Plusnet's QoS is supposed to improve that but I found it actually made things worse.
Pages: 1 2 [3]