Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HP Photo Printers  (Read 12204 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
HP Photo Printers
« on: March 03, 2008, 01:31:47 PM »

Hi all,just read that when your HP ink cartridge reaches its expiry date it has to be replaced  :-X is this true?I have two cartridges that expire on the 11th March.The black one has 90% ink in it and the cyan one just under 50%.If this is true it has to be a right rip off.Do other manufacturers do the same?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: HP Photo Printers
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 02:06:16 PM »

I don't know the answer, but I suspect that all that happens is that you get a warning, which you can ignore.
  Eric

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 12:42:06 AM »

Do I take it you mean the expiry date on the packaging?
If so, then there is usually about 2 years shelf life (use by) from when purchased.
(just confirmed on the box of some cartridges I have in stock 2010, although not HP)

My old Epson cartridge's were 2 years out of date when I brought them (stock clearance) and they still worked fine.

I don't know the answer, but I suspect that all that happens is that you get a warning, which you can ignore.

I think I would agree with that also.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:49:33 PM »

I would use common sense too. If the ink starts to get a bit blotchy or the quality starts to decline, then it might be worth replacing them to save your printer heads from getting jammed with old, dry ink.

However, given the expiry date is probably the worst-case scenario (as they probably play it very safe regarding best before dates, to avoid legal trouble), then they'll probably be fine until you use them up.

With an inkjet printer, it's good to use it at least once a week whether you need to or not, to keep the ink from drying up.
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »

Just to update,I get a pop up message saying 2 of my cartridges have expired and to replace them.The printer still works ok.Is there any way to stop this pop up message appearing?

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:50:47 AM »

Don't think so. I haven't got a HP but the only thing I can suggest looking for is some preference that's maybe to do with warning on expired cartridges - there may not be an option to turn the warning off but it may be worth spending a few minutes looking for.
Chris

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »

Thanks Chris,like i say it works fine,just a bit annoying that's all  :)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:03:49 AM »

Phil,
Which printer model do you have?

I have a HP1210 PSC, not a Photo Printer, but it does print photos.
I never get any message about the cartridges, in fact I have to go into the tool box to get to see the ink levels.
I don't normally bother about levels and just wait until I get a blank sheet out instead of a printed one.
No! serious, I check the quality and it gives a good indication of when I am low on ink.
Always keep a spare new set of cartridges handy.

May be able to find some info about your warning in the user manual at HP if you let us know the model.
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 11:09:28 AM »

Thanks Dave,its HP photosmart 8250.The cartridges are HP363.It has 1 black and one of each,yellow,cyan,light cyan,magenta and light magenta.  :)

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »

Phil,
Not a lot of info on the User Manual.

You can downpoad it from here:
http://tinyurl.com/2on5wp

It is pretty good but does not tell you much about the warnings.

Error Message: Ink expiration near.

Cause: The ink in the indicated ink cartridge(s) is near expiration.

Solution: If the current date is near the expiration date, consider replacing the cartridge(s) to achieve best print quality. You can continue printing by pressing OK

Error Message: Ink cartridge(s) has expired.

Cause: The ink in the indicated ink cartridge(s) is at the expiration date.

Solution: If the ink cartridge(s) has expired, replace the cartridge(s) to achieve best print quality. You can continue printing by pressing OK

It would appear that the warning cannot be turned off but if the prints are of good quality, carry on printing. (Sounds a good title for a film!)  ;D

Have you ever come across anything that suddenly self destructs or turns to yuk on a set date? Me neither!  :no:
I think it is just a get-out incase someone complains about poor quality prints and it may also increase sales of seven cartridges.  :o

dave

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:39:41 AM »

>> Have you ever come across anything that suddenly self destructs or turns to yuk on a set date?

Yeah, me, on my birthday  :drink: :lol:
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:43:11 AM »

:lol:

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:51:06 AM »

>> Have you ever come across anything that suddenly self destructs or turns to yuk on a set date?

Yeah, me, on my birthday  :drink: :lol:

Hadn't thought of it like that, Chris!

Phil,
you had better change ALL your cartridges on Chris's birthday in future just to protect your printer.

:lol:
dave

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »

So,let me get this straight,I have to change the cartridges Chris's birthday and get blind drunk.Sounds good to me  :drink:

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 05:30:00 PM »

UnkyUB, you might find this interesting :- http://myinkisnotlow.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=19&Itemid=2

in particular the paragraph which reads as follows :-

"You can disable all printer Warning Messages by disabling ALL communication from the Printer back to your PC.  To

disable ALL communication from your Printer to your PC, do the following:
From the WINDOWS™ START Menu, Click on “Settings → Printers”
RIGHT CLICK on your Printer Model, and Select “Properties”
From the Properties Menu, Click on the “Ports” Tab
Un-Select the Box that reads: “Enable Bi-Directional Support”
Click “APPLY” then click “OK” to exit

NOTE: This operation will disable ALL COMMUNICATION being sent from your printer to your PC, including paper out,

paper jams, low on ink, etc.   For All-in-One printers, this will ALSO DISABLE CERTAIN OTHER FUNCTIONALITY SUCH

AS SCANNING.   This operation can be reversed by repeating these steps and checking the “Enable Bi-Directional

Support” Box. "

I know that it states above about this having the effect of disabling scanning in an all-in-one machine, but if I remember you HP is a printer and not a multi-job
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 05:35:33 PM by tuftedduck »
Pages: [1] 2