Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to keep in touch..........  (Read 8942 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
How to keep in touch..........
« on: March 03, 2008, 10:12:52 AM »

Hi all,my son is going to live in HongKong on Wednesday and my question is what is the best way to keep in touch.I have heard about SKYPE but don,t know much about it,also what about a web-cam.I have never used windows messanger,would that be better?I only use bog standard email at present so I,m pretty clueless.
The one consideration I have to make is that I,m very hard of hearing,and if the phone line is not very good I struggle to hear the caller.
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: How to keep in touch..........
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 10:59:34 AM »

Windows Live Messenger would be perfect, plus you can hook a cam onto it. :)
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:37:55 AM »

Windows Live Messenger is probably your best bet, the voice quality isn't bad at all when talking.

For talking and video chat using a webcam, Messenger works very well indeed.

You can get a headset with a microphone attached (that makes you look like a call centre person!!) and if your son uses one too, that will make the quality of the speech much better than any kind of built-in microphone or the standard "mic-on-a-stick" PC microphones that you see.
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 12:03:45 PM »

I use both Skype, Yahoo  and MSN (depending what the other party is using) to speak to family and friends in the UK and other places..... I recently bought a new ....Logitech -  QuickCam Communicate STX (Refresh) from Amazon ...the picture and sound quality is excellent.    I also use a headset with microphone combined, I found with free standing microphone and the computer speakers there was always an echo.   

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:57:13 PM »

.....always an echo...  echo... echo...

Gosh, I see what you mean :lol:
Chris

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 12:32:01 AM »

Both of the above, Skype and windows messenger are very good and Skype have recently also enabled video chat.
With both systems you can see if the other party is on-line before calling.

Although some lower-end web cams can be very jumpy and make it almost horrible to watch because of the time lag between voice and picture sync.

Obviously the other party (both) parties need to have their PCs switched on to be able to connect to each other.
I don't know much about Messenger, but at least with Skype you can set the ringing tone to ring out from the PC speakers so it's easier to hear, then chat as normal either with a head set or a Skype phone.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 05:42:46 AM »

Windows live messenger plays an audible alert when you receive a new message - it's a text based system.  I use it a lot and find it ideal for keeping in touch with family and friends.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 09:16:32 AM »

Well guys just to update,got windows messenger live installed.That is so cool ( well for me it is) 8)
My son is off to HongKong today,I feel as though the bottom as fallen out of my world. :'(
His girlfriend already works there as a nursery teacher,she has been there since last July.He went for aholiday last october to make sure he liked it.

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 10:04:54 AM »

Phil, if you (or any one else) wants to add me to Windows Live Messenger, I'm floydoid at hotmail.com :)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »

Nice one Floydy. :)

scottiesmum

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »

Well you've made the first step Uncle ........  good luck to your son in his new venture, I hope it all works out well for him.    Of course you will feel be feeling a bit lost ............... here's a hug for you  .....

It won't be long before you're waving to him on your web cam !   meanwhile  we'll keep you busy on here  !!!  :)

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 01:52:24 PM »

Best of luck to your boy Uncle Phil, when are you going for a visit?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 02:05:04 PM »

Well hes not coming back till christmas,but because of my arthritis and the length of flight.(about 16hrs)which is changing planes in dubai.Or about 12 hours direct from heathrow,it is very hard for me to sit all that time.But saying that,never say never.
Thanks for all your messages of support  :)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 03:02:05 PM »

I know how you must be feeling, UnkyUB..........been there, done that, have the T shirt.

The pain and feeling of loss will ease, and you will soon be chatting away on that webcam, and Christmas aint too far away when you consider how the lad will be enjoying the experience.

Don't let the thought of a long flight and you physical problems put you off the idea of having a wee trip to the mysterious orient. I reckon I am a fair bit older than you and it hasn't stopped me visiting folks in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
I have always found that if you explain your situation at time of booking and at time of embarkation, the girls and boys of the cabin crew will go out of their way to make things as comfy as possible, and look after you a treat ( especially if you travel on one of the far east lines, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific etc.

Go for it ! Just think, if you do go, it will give the rest of us a chance to win the Forumites Challenge.  :D

graevine1

• Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 12:41:45 AM »

I can assure you that you really will miss the oportunity of looking at very close quarter at those air hostesses and I doubt if you will even think of Arthr.......us
we they are all pampering you.

Go and enjoy it they will all help you no end, just smile tell them in advance of your problems, they will get you up and walk you as often as you wish.

Dont miss the chance and the warmth will give you a great boost.
OH and when you are there you will be surprised how flexible you body becomes when those oriental Ladies sit on high bar stools.

Huuuuum!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2