Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: And yet another problem - Torrents  (Read 4496 times)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
And yet another problem - Torrents
« on: July 31, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »

From TheRegister

Feel like your network bandwidth is slipping away? Windows 10 could be the culprit.
Microsoft’s new desktop operating system has employed a torrent-style approach to sharing updates with your fellow Windows 10 users.
Windows 10 employs a system of sharing updates between users’ PCs and across their own networks rather than download direct from Microsoft. The system is called Windows Update Delivery Optimisation, or WUDO.
WUDO has come to light as people have began downloading Windows 10 – released on Wednesday – to their machines. It’s been causing surprises.
According to Microsoft, WUDO lets you get updates when there’s limited or unreliable connection to the internet.
It works by creating a local cache and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Windows sends parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.
Um....
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

loonylion

• Reg Member
Re: And yet another problem - Torrents
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 05:14:23 PM »

yup this is going to cause problems for people on metered connections. Also it's a potential gaping security hole given microsoft's track record on security

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »

@loonylion - surely the opposite, unless I misunderstood. If you have several machines on one LAN, then the new wudo system will mean a reduction in downloads because the machines can all share updates by cross-copying.

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »

it's also sending data to machines outside of the LAN, which increases the overall amount of data. Plus from what I heard updates cant be scheduled so you could blow through your monthly peak time allowance because Microsoft decides to push updates to you at an inconvenient time.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »

Oh!!! :no:

There's still an awful lot of people who do have monthly bandwidth allowances.  I bet most people wont even realise that its there and they could potentially be leaking lots of GB's out to the interwebs.   

I cant recall what it's name was now - V something?, but years ago my daughter installed some sort of TV streaming service on her PC.  It was apparently a legit piece of software, but because at the time I had what was then considered a really fast upstream connection* my bandwidth started to go through the roof at a time when I was on a 20GB limit.  So anything my daughter had watched was stored on her PC and then shared around the globe using any of my available upstream bandwidth.  It was damn greedy and even at 800 kbps it didnt take long to eat into my limit.   Lots of her friend's parents also got a nasty surprises.  If you're on a 80/20 connection and depending upon if there are any limits on how much of your upstream bandwidth it uses, it could soon go through a lot of GB's whilst you're fast asleep in bed.

*I'd paid extra for max premium with its 800 kbps upload at a time when the norm was 288 kbps
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »

This you have to either turn it off completely or restrict it to only your PCs on your Lan.

Still no way I will install W10 to replace W7 on one Laptop or W8.1 on my Nvidia graphics Laptop.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:37:45 PM »

And it looks like MS are trying to force users to use Edge now, ignoring your current default browser when upgrading. FF are very upset..

The Register

"Internet Explorer users were warned that Edge, Microsoft's Chrome-chasing new browser, would be the default in Windows 10. But as it turns out, users of Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and other browsers, have found their default web clients switched to Edge after upgrading their PCs to Windows 10.

"It's still possible to switch the application that handles web URLs by default to a different browser. But Beard says the new UI for doing this in Windows 10 makes it less likely that customers will be able to choose the browser they want."
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 12:32:39 PM »

Judging by comments, I don't think that is such a big deal and it appears that others have successfully retained their choice of browser.   

It didn't change my browser default to edge, it asked i told it to leave default what it was,
 ../..
Same here. I suspect that if users opt for 'express' installation, then everything will get reset to whatever defaults MS deem necessary/desirable, whereas those who opt for a fully controlled install get to determine exactly what stays and what goes.

If firefox is so upset why arent they blasting Apple huh?

I want to change the default browser in iOS but cant.  So not only do Apple install Safari by default, there is no way I can change my preference without jail breaking.   That IMHO is far, far worse than what M$ have done.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker