Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Moving forward ..........  (Read 6991 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Moving forward ..........
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:20:30 PM »

All engineers will have experienced the worst kind of fault .......... then intermittent one. It appears our diagnostics team have now come up with more info to be supplied on the tasks we pick up. I personally feel this to be a great move forward for both the EU and Openreach alike. A snippet below of how it will be implemented ................

We see a lot of fibre repairs that cleared as fault not found (FNF) which will ultimately come back out again as a fault. This is normally due to the fault having an intermittent condition like a HR or wet joint that can sometimes be temporarily cleared when we call ahead on the circuit that is affected or conduct a Pair Quality Test at the beginning of the diagnostic journey

•   CA MFL - Impairment in copper joint located most likely close to customer premises. (1624)
•   LN MFL - Impairment in copper joint located in the network most likely close to the PCP. (1625)
•   CA MFL - Impairment in copper joint located in the network and modem out of synch. (1626)
•   CA MFL - HR detected and modem out of synch. (1631)
•   CA MFL - Shunt / wet joint detected and modem out of synch. (1632)
•   CA MFL - Split pair detected and modem out of synch. (1633)

Seeing these statements will indicate a definite fault and the circuit should be thoroughly investigated for the cause.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Moving forward ..........
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:29:47 PM »

Let's hope that helps.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:56:50 PM »

Are those new results that come back from an automated test, or something manually added by a diagnostic team member before an engineer attends?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:14:55 AM »

Good question ...... and one I can't answer as yet ?  ???

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:23:23 AM »

That'd be useful, last OR engineer who came out to look at my fault said the description he had was "Intermittent fault" luckily it was the same guy as last time so he knew what the problem was and what (by him) had been done previously  :D

davsmith

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:24 PM »

That's really useful info for me!  :)

I've been struggling with an intermittent FTTC fault since mid-December. I've had 4 engineers out to date, but still the problem remains. They kind of suspect there is a problem but their instruments can't get a bead on it.

My ISP did an automated check today which came up with a fail code 1624, which suggests there really is a problem and it's not just my imagination.

How close is close, though? Does it just mean closer to my house than the PCP?

I'm only about 300m from the cabinet, but the first 90m or so is to a telegraph pole. Given my internet drops out badly during heavy rain, is it possible the "close" bad joint is acually on top of the pole and not right outside my house?

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:31 PM »

Whether automated or manual, clever detection tools or hard-earned human experience, I guess something that tells the engineer "intermittent, here's a clue, full investigation needed" is a godsend from the perspective of someone who has had multiple appointments, with (what appears to be) little history that joins things together.

Stephen71

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »

I've been having problems over the past few months and the most recent engineer visit was a 'no fault found'.

Today my ISP have added the following to my fault ticket - this seems to be one of the fault numbers.

Test Outcome   Fail
Test Outcome Code   GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_1625
Description   Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location   LN

I'm experiencing huge slowdowns (2->8Mbps) at peak times - could this be symptomatic of the reported fault?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:45:12 PM by Stephen71 »

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 06:18:29 PM »

I've been having problems over the past few months and the most recent engineer visit was a 'no fault found'.

Today my ISP have added the following to my fault ticket - this seems to be one of the fault numbers.

Test Outcome   Fail
Description   Impairment in copper joint detected most likely in local network. Please continue to submit a trouble report
Main Fault Location   LN

I'm experiencing huge slowdowns (2->8Mbps) at peak times - could this be symptomatic of the reported fault?

I'd say yes. If there's a problem with the copper then it will cause no end of wierd problems, especially with your connection's speed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:32:15 PM »

Interestingly I have a 'fault' open with Plusnet. 
Its been open for ~2 months now & in relation to the issue whereby peak time speeds can drop to 20Mbps despite my SVLAN not being hot and Plusnet saying that they have sufficient capacity.  Its also one of the lines where the peak time issue can be replicated and remains open whilst they are investigating with BTw in an attempt to try and track down where the problem lies.

Anyhow thats a wee bit off topic but why I mention it in here is that a KBD checks are run on my line to ensure that its not a line fault/SVLAN problem etc.  2 months ago all was showing as fine.   Now this pops up.

Test Outcome   Fail
Main Fault Location   LN

Yet ironically the line is running fine at 80/20 with 0 Errored Seconds and rock steady. 

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker