Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: TP-LINK Archer VR900 & VR200v  (Read 76262 times)

Zarf2007

• Just arrived
Re: TP-LINK Archer VR900 & VR200v
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 10:08:47 PM »

I just bought a VR900 a few days ago to replace my Billion 8800NL as I wanted the dual band ac wireless and ipsec vpn tunnel to connect to the office. Everything seems to work fine, only had it since Thursday but no problems so far. I was worried the streaming channels on my TalkTalk YouView might not work, but they worked fine without having to change anything.

Hi Andy,

I bought this and am having problems getting it to work with BT youview IPTV channels, did you configure it in a particular way to get the TT channels? I'm using it to replace the BT modem so have the VDSL interface setup, I have igmp proxying enabled but if I try to enable iptv I lose connectivity to the router.
One other thing I did try was to setup a bridge interface but that also doesn't seem to fix the issue. Really like the router otherwise and this is the only thing I need sorted so hope you can help!

Thanks
Zarf2007

andy265

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »

am having problems getting it to work with BT youview IPTV channels, did you configure it in a particular way to get the TT channels?

I didn't have to do anything, the TT channels just worked with the default settings. IGMP is on in the WAN and LAN settings. The IPTV stuff is all disabled, I think you only need that if the channels are delivered on another VLAN. TT do that on ADSL but on FTTC it's all on the main VLAN 101.

One thing that will be different for you is the connection type. TT use DHCP on their FTTC connections but BT use PPPoE, so maybe the current firmware has a problem with IGMP over PPPoE or BT do something odd.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 11:32:06 PM »

Hi zarf

I've had a look in the GUI and although I can see the LAN and WAN IGMP settings, I suspect that the it may require a new interface & bridging.   
If its ok with you I can pass your contact detail on to someone at TPlink who may be able to help you.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »

Ive just been reading SIN 498 which states that

Where the CP is using PPP and intends to use Multicast for GEA, the modem shall be able to detect and process multicast frames differently
to unicast. Multicast for GEA frames sent into Openreach (IGMP reports) shall not be encapsulated with PPP otherwise they will passed
transparently as normal GEA traffic.

Seeing as the VR900 is automatically configured for BT and encapsulated as PPPoE this will likely be why its not working atm and a new WAN interface needs to be added.  According to Openreach here IGMP Multicast is encapsulated as IPoE which is why it will be working out of the box for TT.   So I think you somehow need to set up another WAN interface for IPoE and bridge them.

I cant immediately see in the GUI how you'd do this, as I dont want to mess with my own settings at this late hour.
As Im out early tomorrow morning and not around until late in the evening, I hope you dont mind but Ive passed your address on so that he can contact you direct.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Zarf2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 05:56:13 AM »

Ive just been reading SIN 498 which states that

Where the CP is using PPP and intends to use Multicast for GEA, the modem shall be able to detect and process multicast frames differently
to unicast. Multicast for GEA frames sent into Openreach (IGMP reports) shall not be encapsulated with PPP otherwise they will passed
transparently as normal GEA traffic.

Seeing as the VR900 is automatically configured for BT and encapsulated as PPPoE this will likely be why its not working atm and a new WAN interface needs to be added.  According to Openreach here IGMP Multicast is encapsulated as IPoE which is why it will be working out of the box for TT.   So I think you somehow need to set up another WAN interface for IPoE and bridge them.

I cant immediately see in the GUI how you'd do this, as I dont want to mess with my own settings at this late hour.
As Im out early tomorrow morning and not around until late in the evening, I hope you dont mind but Ive passed your address on so that he can contact you direct.

sure no problem, thanks for your help on this. My feeling would be it will likely work in router only mode but I really want to use the VDSL interface as it syncs at 19000/79999 which is way better than the BT modem!!

andy265

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 06:51:10 AM »

So I think you somehow need to set up another WAN interface for IPoE and bridge them.
I cant immediately see in the GUI how you'd do this

That's what you have to do on the 8800NL for BT/Plusnet IPTV to work, you add a 2nd WAN interface in bridge mode (not IPoE), but the VR200 won't let you add another interface with the same VLAN. Same in the IPTV settings, if you set that to a port and choose VLAN 101 you get an internal error.

Zarf2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

So I think you somehow need to set up another WAN interface for IPoE and bridge them.
I cant immediately see in the GUI how you'd do this

That's what you have to do on the 8800NL for BT/Plusnet IPTV to work, you add a 2nd WAN interface in bridge mode (not IPoE), but the VR200 won't let you add another interface with the same VLAN. Same in the IPTV settings, if you set that to a port and choose VLAN 101 you get an internal error.

yep, running it in router only mode with an ewan port connected to the BT modem and the IPTV works no problems, just need to sort out the VDSL side as it would be a shame to not be able to use what seems like a stable and fast vdsl modem place of BT's.

btw, is there an ability to restrict outgoing traffic from a specific internal host, ie if I only wanted to allow dns & https from a vpn box on 192.168.50 and block all other services? can seem to see where to do that.

andy265

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 08:28:16 AM »

is there an ability to restrict outgoing traffic from a specific internal host

Just had a quick look, but it doesn't look like it.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 08:30:47 AM »

but the VR200 won't let you add another interface with the same VLAN. Same in the IPTV settings, if you set that to a port and choose VLAN 101 you get an internal error.

I dont know if this will work (I dont have Youview to test) but see in that Openreach doc I linked to it says something like 'No VLAN or VLAN=0'  What happens if you try VLAN=0
-----

andy265

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:51 AM »

I dont know if this will work (I dont have Youview to test) but see in that Openreach doc I linked to it says something like 'No VLAN or VLAN=0'  What happens if you try VLAN=0

I can't test it either, but you can leave the VLAN off in the IPTV settings.

Zarf2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:48 AM »

I can't test it either, but you can leave the VLAN off in the IPTV settings.

if you leave it off the iptv doesnt work, if you try to specify 0 it gives 'invalid VLAN ID' it allows 1-4094 only, I tried both 1 and 4094 but no luck....

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »

Hi Kitz

How are you finding the modem performance compared to the ZyXEL?

Regards

Phil

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 02:25:01 PM »

if you leave it off the iptv doesnt work, if you try to specify 0 it gives 'invalid VLAN ID' it allows 1-4094 only, I tried both 1 and 4094 but no luck....

Hmmm not sure then - relevant snippets from the Openreach doc

5.1.4.4 IGMP encapsulation
IGMP messages to/from GEA-Multicast are to be encapsulated as IP over Ethernet (IPoE).
IGMP messages as part of multicast applications running over GEA Data must be sent over the PPPoE connection layer and
will be passed to the Openreach CP on the normal data VLAN without being processed/acted on by Openreach.

5.1.4.6 IGMP forking
Openreach will not provide forking (copying) of the IGMP messages, so that:
a)IGMP messages will be presented to the CP on the Multicast VLAN only. 
b)Openreach will not provide a parallel feed of IGMP messages on the normal data VLA

Which explains the need for the 2 WAN interfaces

5.1.5 VLAN use
IGMP messages can be sent from the CPE to the Openreach Active NTE either:
a) With no VLAN tagging; or
b) With VLAN tagging but only where VLAN tag 0 is used.  If other tag values are used, the
IGMP message will not be processed by Openreach and will be passed to the CP on the
normal data VLAN.

So out of curiosity I did a search for VLAN=0 and interestingly up cropped this post which is about tplink routers.  Unfortunately his link to tp-link now gives a 404.

For an end user connected via Openreach GEA (FTTC and FTTH)
• The Residential Gateway will support
– IPoE for multicast traffic and PPPoE for BB traffic
– VLAN tag ID of 0 or no VLAN tag ID for multicast and BB traffic
– Fork IGMP requests up multicast and BB paths

I think we may have to wait see what TP-link can come up with.

How are you finding the modem performance compared to the ZyXEL?
Can't say much atm Im afraid :/
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 02:51:55 PM »

@ Zarf2007

Ive had this response back.  I'm aware that you said that when using IPTV settings then you dont get internet.   
The one thing I note from the attached image is that VLAN isnt checked.  Did you try it both ticked and unticked (thinking VLAN=0 here) 

Can you please follow the below and see after this settings change are you able to use your youview box.

Please log into VR900 and then go to ADVANCED and then IPTV and then please see the attached screenshot. Please select the respective LAN port to which youview box is connected.
-----

Zarf2007

• Just arrived
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2015, 03:32:38 PM »

@ Zarf2007

Ive had this response back.  I'm aware that you said that when using IPTV settings then you dont get internet.   
The one thing I note from the attached image is that VLAN isnt checked.  Did you try it both ticked and unticked (thinking VLAN=0 here) 

Can you please follow the below and see after this settings change are you able to use your youview box.

Please log into VR900 and then go to ADVANCED and then IPTV and then please see the attached screenshot. Please select the respective LAN port to which youview box is connected.

I have tried it unticked and it didnt work. My setup is Youview Box/PC/other devices -> switch -> homeplug -> homeplug -> Router port 1.

Now I know this setup works with multicast as I previously had a Billion 8800AXL router in place of it without issues. So if i had the YV box directly into port 2 this would probably work but this is logistically impossible due to where the devices are physically located. at the moment if i enable this on port 1 I lose connectivity to the routers lan side. I will try configuring with vlan 0 and report back.

just tried vlan 0, it accepts it (even though it states 1-4094 only) but still does not work.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:02:45 PM by Zarf2007 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

anything