Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Price hike and your options  (Read 8103 times)

mrpops2ko

BT Price hike and your options
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:08:54 PM »

So if you have been following http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/07/uk-isp-bt-kicks-off-new-round-of-annual-phone-line-rental-price-hikes.html, BT are hiking up prices again.

From the BT email that I got http://i.imgur.com/yUKP41E.png this means that if you are under a minimum contract you can leave early without charge. This in turn means you can start the round of voucher collections / deals once again. (with another provider)

I'm switching to SSE, they are doing a deal where its £12 line rental and £12.50 for 80/20 connection. This is price locked in for 2 years. (the contract is only 18 months though)

On top of that, if you go to topcashback you can get £126 ontop of that when you switch.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
Re: BT Price hike and your options
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:51:28 PM »

I'm switching to SSE, they are doing a deal where its £12 line rental and £12.50 for 80/20 connection. This is price locked in for 2 years. (the contract is only 18 months though)

Did that a while back on a spare line that used to have ADSL2+ on it and now has again from SSE but with an increased d/l of +2Mb on last time when it was with Zen for many years. Basically a TalkTalk line. No problems so far.  And that's for £12 all in rental + BB. May switch to 80/20 at some point.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

mrpops2ko

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:55:22 PM »

I'll try and get some ping stats from different places so I can compare them once I get the connection. I assume almost everything will be the same.

On the site it stated a 3-4 week switching time period, which isn't very good. I hope I don't get any issues using my HG612 modem. I tried googling around for PPPOE settings but i couldn't find anything.

Any ideas on any windows software utility that would make it easy to track ping on a range of sites and offer comparative data?

Also does anybody have any information on an LLU - for example do they have to do their own peering agreements or is that all just encapsulated by everything that BTOR is connected with? I found this http://bgp.he.net/AS61231 which doesn't look too good.

Through googling I found some guy saying that they are provisioned by daisy ip network http://bgp.he.net/AS5413 which looks a bit better, but whether this is true or not remains to be seen.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 10:03:16 PM by mrpops2ko »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 08:21:49 AM »

Daisy use TalkTalk ....
Tony
My Books!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:07:57 AM »

Do they do static IPs?
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:10:51 AM »

Tony
My Books!

MikeZ

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »

I'm using the get-out clause to return to AAISP after about 6 weeks with BT :)

I was tempted by the £10 per month deal for Infinity 1 unlimited, but you get what you pay for...

These past couple of days with BT have been dreadful.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

Do they do static IPs?
They apparently do and its free too. (reading through some comments googling).

Although be warned I just discovered http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224240#topofpage this thread. Apparently they are an absolute PITA to migrate to. You'll be left without internet for over a week, during the transition period. I'm going to be pulling my hair out during that week.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 11:33:51 AM »

Do they do static IPs?
They apparently do and its free too. (reading through some comments googling).

Although be warned I just discovered http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5224240#topofpage this thread. Apparently they are an absolute PITA to migrate to. You'll be left without internet for over a week, during the transition period. I'm going to be pulling my hair out during that week.

Um mine went like clockwork and on time - but I didn't migrate but will remember that...
Tony
My Books!

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:20:12 PM »

Just read that entire MSE thread, seems a lot of people had a lot of problems transferring, and reading that thread really shows how uneducated the general public are regarding broadband and telephones.

It also seems that if getting a new line then one can't take advantage of the cash back offers as you need to phone them rather than do it online.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 390/36  ;D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 01:41:57 PM »

BT seem to be reverting to type, traditionally BT wholesale has sucked and BT are expensive.  Then when FTTC launched for a while they were price competitive and made BT wholesale a good network, in the past year or so they have declined tho hence my move to LLU.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:59 PM »

Just read that entire MSE thread, seems a lot of people had a lot of problems transferring, and reading that thread really shows how uneducated the general public are regarding broadband and telephones.

It also seems that if getting a new line then one can't take advantage of the cash back offers as you need to phone them rather than do it online.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, on the topcashback offer you have to migrate from BT - when you do it on the SSE website you have to enter your postcode and your phone line number.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 04:15:28 PM »

Just received the kit from them. Change over set to occur on September 4th.

The router you get from them is a Technicolor TG799vn v2. Doubt i'll use it though as I have my own setup.

I'm considering getting a secondary connection and setting up dual wan on my router.

mrpops2ko

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »

Stumbled upon https://daisygroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Broadband-Acceptable-Use-Policy-03-02-15.pdf

'ADSL2+, LLU, Annex M and FTTC services are not expected to
transfer more than 100 Gigabytes of data during the course of
a month.'

I do more than that a day. I think i'm royally screwed. Or this is woefully outdated.

Talked with the online live chat. Apparently that AUP is out of date. The new updated figure is 750GB total throughput per month.

Final update, talked with SSE. Confirmed with manager about the 750GB AUP. It is correct. They'll disconnect people if they go massively over that usage per month. (the 750gb is combined throughput, so any combination of UL/DL). Guess i'm staying with BT then.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 12:55:48 PM by mrpops2ko »

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2016, 07:15:51 AM »

ee done a price hike also which coincidence same time as "free"  bt sports