Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Using Windows 10 and an NVidia Card?? Oh dear...  (Read 18890 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Re: Using Windows 10 and an NVidia Card?? Oh dear...
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 07:57:35 PM »

Sorry for going OT ..... one word ..... Apple ..... as you were.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I’ve managed to upgrade my Win 7 32 bit and Win 8.1 64 bit systems as well as my insider preview system. I used the ISO image for the first two and Windows Update for the preview with no issues. Of course they all run under Parallels Desktop for Mac, so were bound to be successful!  :P Sorry for my impertinence, please don’t ban me from the board.  ;) :fingers:

vic whats the build number now for the preview? and when did the update get detected.

thanks.

As I am confused, many people said insiders got the rtm a week or so ago 10240 build, but others are saying they got another new build after release.

It's Build 10240. I was notified in the normal manner that an update was available about a week ago I think, but just installed yesterday. All hints of the preview edition are removed and the system is activated. I got the ISOs by logging into the Insider site and there was a link to the released builds as well.
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 10:22:01 PM »

I think I am screwed as my insider build isnt activated, I think microsoft stance is if you didnt activate earlier on then you screwed.

Also I cannot find any iso's of 10240 on the insider site, MS said that build is not for clean installing.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 10:42:49 PM »

Ive got the dead spinning wheel again.
However if I go directly to Windows update via Run > wupdate I see this.

I also checked to see that I have KB3035583 installed - which I do.   For date reference if you want to check yours - mine was 23/05/2015
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 11:02:04 PM »

I just forced the update on one of my systems as follows:
Run command as admin (you know how  ;) )
wuauclt.exe/updatenow
close the window and wait for WU to kick in.

Had to do it twice as the first time errored part way (server overload?)

I also cleared out the WU download directory beforehand as advised in several places, then rebooted: c:\windows\softwaredistribution\download folder.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 12:59:59 AM »

Sorry HPsauce done everything you said and zero result nothing coming in or being downloaded on windows 8.1  ???

Update that get windows 10 icon has appeared on the taskbar again.
Check windows update and I get windows defender update again  :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:18:34 AM by NewtronStar »

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 09:09:50 AM »

I think I am screwed as my insider build isnt activated, I think microsoft stance is if you didnt activate earlier on then you screwed.

Also I cannot find any iso's of 10240 on the insider site, MS said that build is not for clean installing.
Received an email this morning from MS Insider on the public release info. It's long, but contained the link to the ISO download page.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 09:27:51 AM »

I've used that link to create a selection of DVD's.
The 32-bit or 64-bit versions of the tool seem to refer to the system you are running on, not the target version you want to create.
On my 64-bit system the 32-bit version wouldn't run. And the 64-bit version created both 32- and 64-bit ISOs for me.

You do get an option to create a "both" version, but it's too big to fit on a standard 4.7GB DVD.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »

Ive got the dead spinning wheel again.
However if I go directly to Windows update via Run > wupdate I see this.

I also checked to see that I have KB3035583 installed - which I do.   For date reference if you want to check yours - mine was 23/05/2015

I've a much more recent date for KB3035583 - 15/07/2015 is the install date for me.  (Updates set to automatic).

Tho I've got other issues here (still can't get it to rescan and realise the incompatible graphics card is no longer present) so  :comp:

Ian

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2015, 02:13:43 PM »

Received an email this morning from MS Insider on the public release info. It's long, but contained the link to the ISO download page.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO?OCID=WIP_r_Win10_Body_AddPC

yep already made iso from that, but thats nothing to do with insider's its the tool for general release and requires installation on a pre activated machine for it to activate.

AArdvark

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2015, 10:11:09 PM »

Many thanks for the link.
I will download the iso and hold fire on doing the upgrade until the teething problems have been solved. :)

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2015, 09:11:25 AM »

yep already made iso from that, but thats nothing to do with insider's its the tool for general release and requires installation on a pre activated machine for it to activate.

Sorry didn’t fully appreciate that. I did attempt a reinstall the original preview ISO which worked, but it is not activated and there is no sign of the upgrade to the release version, just the defender update as you say. I also had a poke around in my original insider preview version which has been upgraded and noticed that the Diagnostic and Data usage options are greyed out, marked as being managed by the Windows Insider Program. So maybe this instance of the OS is not quite ours to do with as we please after all!

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »

MS said that build is not for clean installing.

Just to see if I could do a clean install on an existing Windows 10 system, I cloned the HDD and ran setup from the mounted ISO. I chose not to keep any data or programs and I ended up with a shiny new vanilla system. It was already activated too.  :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »

Has anyone tried downgrading/reverting to the original OS and determining if the key is still valid, assuming it's even possible? Opinions on the net seem to vary.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:09 AM »

Has anyone tried downgrading/reverting to the original OS and determining if the key is still valid, assuming it's even possible? Opinions on the net seem to vary.

Worked for me. I took the Windows 10 VM which I had upgraded from Windows 7 and did a reinstall from the original Win 7 DVD and using the original key. The installation proceeded and accepted the key. Once complete I was able to activate ok. Bear in mind this is using a virtual environment, but I don't think that should matter.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2015, 10:54:29 AM »

Worked for me. I took the Windows 10 VM which I had upgraded from Windows 7 and did a reinstall from the original Win 7 DVD and using the original key. The installation proceeded and accepted the key. Once complete I was able to activate ok. Bear in mind this is using a virtual environment, but I don't think that should matter.

Okay thanks. I'm not going to try anything yet anyway but nice to know.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4