Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Using Windows 10 and an NVidia Card?? Oh dear...  (Read 18899 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Using Windows 10 and an NVidia Card?? Oh dear...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 12:30:56 PM »

I tried the Win10 'upgrade' on a laptop I don't use a lot. It went ahead with the upgrade...
It's now sitting there blue screening and rebooting continuously  :crazy: :comp:

I would prefer the option to download and then burn it onto a DVD as an ISO.
Can you gain access to the laptops C: drive at all ?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »

No, it seems to have lost its boot sector as well as the will to live (spinning disk, not SSD).

Attempts at repairing it with various utilities have so far been unsuccessful. I'll try a restore off the last backup and see what happens.  Fortunately, there's nothing vital on it that isn't elsewhere.

I generally use it for odd jobs like updating modem firmware etc  ;)

Not a very good omen though  :( I'm really quite happy with 8.1 (the laptop is W7 tho), had very little problems with it, faster than W7 and with Classic Start Menu, hardly ever see a tile or other MS annoyance ....

Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 02:28:41 PM »

God knows what microsoft were thinking with live upgrades, its always been recommended to clean install windows.  I guess also people are upgrading manually? because all my systems with the system tray app have no offered me to upgrade.

Also the recommended practice with drivers is to only upgrade them for a specific fix to a problem yet they distribute drivers willy nilly on windows update.

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 03:06:27 PM »

The thing is as I understand it W10 is supposed to be the last version of Windows, and it will just upgrade as times goes by so MS need to get it right. Some how with all the different combinations of hardware I think there will always be problems, this is why Apple has an easier ride because they control the hardware.

My W10 preview laptop refused to update a few weeks ago, but then it did with the next release version. I haven't tried the final release on any of my systems yet and probably won't for a while.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 03:14:33 PM »

I guess also people are upgrading manually? because all my systems with the system tray app have no offered me to upgrade.
All my machines are now showing this when I dbl-click the system tray icon...
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 04:53:04 PM »

mine is still hosed.

Basically I killed the process on my desktop yesterday and today it restarted itself, however same issue, a window saying please wait with the animation frozen, laptop has exact same issue lol, will do a screenshot.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 05:15:45 PM »

Don't know what your next step will be tony, from reading a bit more you can opt for upgrade or save to DVD or usb as ISO but the issue comes when upgrading from the ISO disk you need the product key which is only given when you have fully upgraded from previous MS versions 7/8.1  ???

I hope win10 does not mess with my bootloader as it's a dual boot system but can repair the bootloader from old recovery disks if need be by using

bootrec.exe /fixmbr
bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2015, 05:40:06 PM »

apparently it does mess with the bootloader, as some people who tried to downgrade again had issues with the mbr.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »

Sorry for going OT ..... one word ..... Apple ..... as you were.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I’ve managed to upgrade my Win 7 32 bit and Win 8.1 64 bit systems as well as my insider preview system. I used the ISO image for the first two and Windows Update for the preview with no issues. Of course they all run under Parallels Desktop for Mac, so were bound to be successful!  :P Sorry for my impertinence, please don’t ban me from the board.  ;) :fingers:
Lothian Broadband 900/900 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 06:01:37 PM »

apparently it does mess with the bootloader, as some people who tried to downgrade again had issues with the mbr.

Thanks Chry in that case it's a good time to re-install easybcd and make a backup of the bootloader.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 06:57:06 PM »

so guys thoughts on my pic? :)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »

Sorry for going OT ..... one word ..... Apple ..... as you were.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I’ve managed to upgrade my Win 7 32 bit and Win 8.1 64 bit systems as well as my insider preview system. I used the ISO image for the first two and Windows Update for the preview with no issues. Of course they all run under Parallels Desktop for Mac, so were bound to be successful!  :P Sorry for my impertinence, please don’t ban me from the board.  ;) :fingers:

vic whats the build number now for the preview? and when did the update get detected.

thanks.

As I am confused, many people said insiders got the rtm a week or so ago 10240 build, but others are saying they got another new build after release.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:06:03 PM »

I've not been offered the upgrade either so I just checked on mine.   I was about to report exactly same thing as you with the dead spinny wheel.... and was just about to type to say so...  but I'd left the window open in the other monitor and as Im typing its just this minute changed to this:=
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 07:20:25 PM »

so I should leave it alone for longer?

on my laptop its been about 6 hours and on pc about 3 hours.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/windows-10-app-just-says-please-wait-and-is-frozen/cb50e061-b2e4-4fe2-b778-3521ddd9fb97?auth=1

also note his screenshot for windows updates saying reserved, mine also show that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 07:23:24 PM by Chrysalis »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 07:38:59 PM »

The update software is fecked  ;)

My annoying windows 10 reserved icon on Windows 8.1 taskbar has not appeared since yesterday 29/7/2015 and as yet it still says we will let you know when it's ready in windows update my guess it's confused

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4