Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: is it possible to find more definitive info on cabinet capacity upgrades?  (Read 1568 times)

Ichneumon

• Just arrived

Hi all, new here so I hope this is the correct sub forum to ask...

FTTC has been available on my exchange for approx 4-5 months. Plusnet refused to give us a good deal when it went live and now that we can finally escape our contract I've discovered the local cabinet is likely full and I'm not able to place an order anywhere. The BT wholesale checker tells us:

Sorry your cabinet is temporarily unavailable, capacity will be restored as soon as possible

FTTC Range A (Clean)            80    73.4    20    20    --    19-Aug-15
FTTC Range B (Impacted)    80    69.6    20    19    --    19-Aug-15

I tried a bit of googling and it looks like this info might be misleading and it could be months or more before the cabinet is upgraded? Although if I try to order a new product through BT retail they say fibre is estimated to be available in July or August.

Is there anywhere to find out deinitively if there is actually an engineer visit scheduled to upgrade the cabinet? preferably a telephone number to call as I really would like to give Plusnet a more dfinitive date a.s.a.p. on when we wil migrate to our preferred ISP (probably Sky.)

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 09:31:44 PM by Ichneumon »

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen

The cabinet could be full or there could be a problem with it. There is various stages of full, when the cab is installed they only install a certain amount of line cards,  so it may need another line card installing which is quick and easy. Next is the tie cables between cabinet and PCP,  this is also fairly straightforward. Finally the cabinet could be completely full and require another cabinet to be installed, this could take ages or even not happen if demand is unlikely to be sufficient.

I would suggest two things.

First is to post on the Think Broadband forums in the fibre section, giving your postcode or exchange and cabinet number,  as there used be someone in the know who would give a very good indication of what and how long was required. His name slips my memory at the moment though.

Second, I would setup a page watcher, this way if it becomes available you will know very quickly and can place an order hopefully before anyone else.
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 550/52  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

Alas, I have no dealings with this kind of thing in my day-to-day job. But, I do on a very regular basis connect EU's to VDSL ports that have been 'Stopped' / 'Ceased'. These are ports that have been previously used by an EU, but they may have moved home, decided ADSL is enough for their needs, defaulted on payments, etc.

How the newly-available ports show as available to the ISP's, I wouldn't know ?? Not much help, but maybe a slight glimmer of hope ??

Ichneumon

• Just arrived

...I would suggest two things...

Thank you for the info, I have followed both of your suggestions  :)

...maybe a slight glimmer of hope ??

Thanks to you also, all insights appreciated. Fingers crossed it's a minor thing and the ETA is accurate.