Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ECI /r v3 - Does it exist?  (Read 7362 times)

jsamuel

• Reg Member
ECI /r v3 - Does it exist?
« on: July 26, 2015, 09:39:53 PM »

Looking through a popular auction site I noticed an ECI /r v3 listed at an obvious ridiculous price. Do they even exist?
I can't find anything anywhere else about them, apparently it has G.INP support too.  :lol:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
Re: ECI /r v3 - Does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 09:42:52 PM »

Was it from a fibre-cat?

If so, he's known for posting "dubious" information.

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:44:10 PM »

Was it from a fibre-cat?

If so, he's known for posting "dubious" information.

That's the one!
It got me curious and I've been searching elsewhere for more info on it, so it doesn't exist?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 01:19:24 AM »

I'm not sure.   I've certainly not seen mention of an ECI/r[v3] before and a quick search only pulls up that one seller on ebay.  Otherwise total blank and no V3 anywhere.
However I'm intreged because I notice a photograph showing "Lantiq XRX288 CPE" which implies a VRX288 compared to the VRX268 that is inside the ECI/r V2.

So a search on VRX288 pulled up this post from Ragnarok showing XRX288 CPE.  Then it dawned..   Ragnorak has unlocked his BFocus Fub/R V2 which I think uses OpenWrt f/w based on Arcadyan f/w. Arcadyan use the VRX288 chip and both chipsets are in the same SoC family.    Presumably this is why the appearence of XRX288 and Arcadyan in ragnoraks post when you enter the CLI.  What ever way it appears that an unlocked ECI /r V2 will show up as XRX288 when used with the openwrt f/w.

The photos shown deliberately hide the 2 usual places where the model number can be identified ie
1) the sticker on  box where its obviously been blanked out and over-typed with ECI/r[v3]XV.
2) The underside of the unit where it should show the model number has also been deliberately obscured and overtyped with Yukon Phase 6

Why go to the effort of deliberately obscuring any of the usual means of identifying the model number and overtype with something no-one has ever head of before.  There is absolutely no doubt that those photo's have been edited.   My guess is that V3 simply stands for an unlocked V2 using Openwrt f/w.

If that modem is simply an unlocked ECI/r V2 then his claims of a 'New revised Lantiq Chipset' is false advertising and the way the images have been presented deliberately mislead the buyer.  :-\ 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 05:39:49 AM »

I'm not sure.   I've certainly not seen mention of an ECI/r[v3] before and a quick search only pulls up that one seller on ebay.  Otherwise total blank and no V3 anywhere.
However I'm intreged because I notice a photograph showing "Lantiq XRX288 CPE" which implies a VRX288 compared to the VRX268 that is inside the ECI/r V2.

So a search on VRX288 pulled up this post from Ragnarok showing XRX288 CPE.  Then it dawned..   Ragnorak has unlocked his BFocus Fub/R V2 which I think uses OpenWrt f/w based on Arcadyan f/w. Arcadyan use the VRX288 chip and both chipsets are in the same SoC family.    Presumably this is why the appearence of XRX288 and Arcadyan in ragnoraks post when you enter the CLI.  What ever way it appears that an unlocked ECI /r V2 will show up as XRX288 when used with the openwrt f/w.

The photos shown deliberately hide the 2 usual places where the model number can be identified ie
1) the sticker on  box where its obviously been blanked out and over-typed with ECI/r[v3]XV.
2) The underside of the unit where it should show the model number has also been deliberately obscured and overtyped with Yukon Phase 6

Why go to the effort of deliberately obscuring any of the usual means of identifying the model number and overtype with something no-one has ever head of before.  There is absolutely no doubt that those photo's have been edited.   My guess is that V3 simply stands for an unlocked V2 using Openwrt f/w.

If that modem is simply an unlocked ECI/r V2 then his claims of a 'New revised Lantiq Chipset' is false advertising and the way the images have been presented deliberately mislead the buyer.  :-\ 

That does sound absolutely spot on. I didn't think BT would've bothered with another version of their modems since BT are starting to do away with them, starting with this doc.
BT is already is providing new customers with their HH5 for free on signup I believe, and other ISPs using BTWS will soon be providing VDSL2 modem/router combos to new customers when they sign up too (Some have, PN for example is bringing out a new combo next year. it'll probably look worse than their current Hub Zero though  :silly:)
I think it would be utterly pointless and a waste of money for them to bring out another one.

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 06:05:26 AM »

Code: [Select]
New message from: fibre-cat
Hi

Take a look at the last picture on the listing.

The eci I v1 1.1 H1118
The eci/r v1 1.1 H1250
The eci/r v2 1.2 H1326
The eci/r v3 1.2 H1540

:no:

He replied to my email, and apparently those H#'s indicate a revision of the VRX268 1.2 SoC
He then told me to go understand PSB80910 EL and go <insert some flame words here>.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 06:33:25 AM »

PSB 80910 is the VRX268
PSB 80920 is the VRX288
The newer generation of Lantiq chips would use the VRX318.

I don't think the telnet banner greeting is a good indicator of which chipset it contains. The software could display any string there.

I thought H1325 means the date of manufacture - year 2013 week 25. H1540 would be in the future!

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 06:47:17 AM »

PSB 80910 is the VRX268
PSB 80920 is the VRX288
The newer generation of Lantiq chips would use the VRX318.

I don't think the telnet banner greeting is a good indicator of which chipset it contains. The software could display any string there.

I thought H1325 means the date of manufacture - year 2013 week 25. H1540 would be in the future!

Ah, that does sound better than what I thought they were. I thought they were production lines of some sort.

He did go on to say this, none of which have I checked up. (I'm assuming we're looking at the version numbers?)

Code: [Select]
I'm sorry if I mixed you up with an other - Been getting all sorts of crazy messages this evening.

new model

Image Version : v3.00.09
BuildDate : 2014/08/01 11:18:41

Init image 1 version: 3.0.9.0
Init image 2 version: 3.0.9.0

with the new rc.configs for retx
Lantiq CPE API Driver version: DSL CPE API V4.15.2

VG3503J 1-A-DC BootLoader v2.00.02 (Dec 4 2012 - 14:02:34)

CLOCK CPU 333M RAM 166M
DRAM: 32 MiB
Flash: 8 MiB
In: serial
Out: serial
Err: serial
Net: Internal phy(GE) firmware version: 0x0405
vr9 Switch

PPE datapath driver info:
Version ID: 64.3.3.1.0.1.1
Family : VR9
DR Type : Normal Data Path | Indirect-Fast Path
Interface : MII0 | MII1
Mode : Routing
Release : 0.1.1
PPE 0 firmware info:
Version ID: 7.3.2.9.1
FW Package: E1
Release : 2.9.1
PPE 1 firmware info:
Version ID: 7.5.2.9.2
FW Package: D5
Release : 2.9.2
PPE firmware feature:
ATM/PTM TC-Layer Bonding Support
L2 Trunking Support
Packet Acceleration Support
IPv4 Support
IPv6 Support
6RD Support
DS-Lite SupPPA API --- init successfully
Polling Interval = 60
Priority Threshold = 7
Byte Rate based Management = 1
Packet Rate based Management = 0
Poll history = 1
Maximum delete sessions = 10
Mode = 0
IFXOS, Version 1.5.17 (c) Copyright 2009, Lantiq Deutschland GmbH
xDSL_MODE="vdsl2"
xDSL_MODE="vdsl2"

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »

The underside of the unit where it should show the model number has also been deliberately obscured and overtyped with Yukon Phase 6

btw it was bugging me why 'Yukon' sounded familiar.
As soon as I got in bed last night it dawned on me that Yukon is the name of part of the DLM system specifically for FTTC.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »

If we take a look at the page referenced by Kitz, above, under the Description heading we see --

Description

The most important one to get out there is you need to include a non gpl firmware, without this the dsl hardware will not function and as its non redistributable you must do this your self

Assuming that is still true, then the status of any such devices sold will be questionable and would be subject to an investigation by the Free Software Foundation with regards to the inclusion of non-GPL (proprietary) code into the firmware installed on those devices.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

jsamuel

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 02:29:32 AM »

If we take a look at the page referenced by Kitz, above, under the Description heading we see --

Description

The most important one to get out there is you need to include a non gpl firmware, without this the dsl hardware will not function and as its non redistributable you must do this your self

Assuming that is still true, then the status of any such devices sold will be questionable and would be subject to an investigation by the Free Software Foundation with regards to the inclusion of non-GPL (proprietary) code into the firmware installed on those devices.

That is indeed true. People have asked Lantiq to make their firmware blobs GPL for quite a while now and they've still not allowed OpenWrt to package the binaries with their images.

Currently I'm looking for a blob that will match the VR9 drivers in the source, since the one included in the Openreach GPL is quite old (2012) and has throughput issues.

Due to Lantiq's attempts to not give back to the open source community, we need to resort to tactics such as extracting firmware from other OEMs that use the Lantiq SoC. https://xdarklight.github.io/lantiq-xdsl-firmware-info/
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 02:35:03 AM by jsamuel »

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »

At least Lantiq release the source code for their DSL drivers and other software components under dual BSD or GPL license. Broadcom DSL drivers aren't open source, so you can't even compile them yourself for use with your own kernel. You're not likely to see OpenWRT supporting the DSL modems in Broadcom SoCs any time soon.

anything