Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Main site changes.  (Read 12937 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Main site changes.
« on: July 26, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »

I've been making some changes to the main site - mainly:

1) Tutorial and Tech sections have been merged.
2) The cookie compliance notification has been replaced.  The old one relied heavily on a third party geolocation plug-in script that was at times causing pages to load slower than they should.

Please be aware that whilst I'm doing this, there may be some strange caching issues.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Main site changes.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 08:13:49 AM »

A little bit more info

1) Re the tutorial & tech sections merger, any content in here isn't specifically targeted at anything broadband related.
I've also had several people mention over the years that because the site is broadband orientated they had assumed that it would be broadband tutorials that were in this section.  It is easier for now just to merge the two because that frees up a tab for future development of something else.

2) I've mentioned before about the cookie compliance script and how I wasn't too happy with the old one. Because the cookie compliance laws relate to the EU it relied heavily on a free plugin (geoPlugin) to detect the readers country of origin before deciding what to dish out to the reader.   Whilst geoPlugin is very good, the demands put on their servers because of cookie compliance means that quite often run slow. Over the past few weeks it has not only had slowness but also some total downtime, which meant my scripts were running slow and some pages weren't able to completely load.   If the script didn't load and the cookie notification didn't show then it could cause compliance issues.  I'm now using a simpler script that is hosted on my own server so page loads should now be quicker and no more waiting for other scripts to load because the cookie compliance one cant complete.  IMHO the new one is more user friendly because once you've read it thats it done and no more green button for a third party site hanging around.

3) Because every single page has been re-uploaded and has had page changes then its highly likely that caching issues will occur that will cause some display oddness.   Pressing Ctrl + F5 should clear this.

4) I've not yet updated the cookie script on the main front page.  The reason for this will become clear soon - but that's a job for another day/night.

5) I'm aware the tab bar is currently off-center.  There's a reason for this which is tied in with the above.  I have a new CSS file which sorts it, but it will be uploaded at the same time the front page gets its update. 

6) The ad banner script should now be more efficient and streamlined.  When cookie legislation came in I attempted to remove use of a cookie and made use of math.random - which as the name implies chucked out ads in random.  I've now gone back to using a session cookie to properly rotate ads. Session cookies are not bad, they disappear when you close your window and its only there so that certain ads rotate properly rather than chuck out random.  No information is stored by me, its just keeping count of 1,2,3,4,5 to rotate certain approved ads.  Once you close your browser window the cookie gets destroyed.  More info about session cookies and our cookie policy here.

7)I know that the tab menus for the forum and wiki also need to be redone, but nothing more from me now - Im off to bed as Ive worked completely through the night on >500 pages.   
The offline prep work had been done in every spare min over the past few weeks, but theres certain things that can only be done when traffic is least likely to be affected - hence the all nighter.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:12:38 AM »

kitz is there a way to sort out the awin1 performance issues?

if you can stop it lagging page load I am happy to whitelist my ad blocker on your site considering how much I use it.  Perhaps make it async? so it doesnt hold up the page loading.

--edit--

just whitelisted and on a few clicks no lag, so will keep it whitelisted and report back if awin1 problem comes back :)

Also do you need people to click the ads for revenue? or is loading enough? if you need clicks I will try to click an ad everytime I visit the site.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:15:20 AM by Chrysalis »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 03:07:41 PM »

Google ads specifically do not allow me in any shape or form allow me to encourage people to click.  Google ads display 2 types of ads: Those that pay per view (impression) and those that pay per click. 

Its a bannable offence for me to encourage people to click in any way shape or form and they are very clever how they detect false clicks.   I dont fully understand how they work its one of googles algorithms that they dont disclose, but I think advertisers have to bid to place an ad on a publishers site with what type of ad they wish to display and if its PPI or PPC.  If its a pay per impression then I may get a couple of pence/penny/part penny, but if its a click type then the price is much higher.   I have no control over the bidding process and no idea whether the ad generated is going to be a pay per impression or pay per click. I do not endorse any form of false clicking, so no please dont.

Google are very strict in enforcing the rules and regularly check for any encouragement of false clicks and extremely efficient at detecting them. They even check site content to make sure a publisher doesn't say anything to encourage clicks.  They do this to protect their advertisers as I believe the understanding is say that an advertiser has bid a few quid for a click, then the advertiser is going to be pretty peed off to find out they are paying for something falsely obtained with no actual sale at the end of it. Im not even allowed to click my own ads.   The pay per impression ads are slightly different though, they are a bit more akin to say tv/radio advertising, in that they pay to 'air' the ad and the publisher doesnt get any more revenue if they buy or not.  AFAIK these are the ones that I mostly serve anyhow as its seldom, if ever!, that I see anything come through for pounds rather than pennies. They may only pay a penny or so or even part penny, but they are the ones that can add up, because they pay regardless of sale or click. 

Google come down hard on a publisher who in any way encourages friends/members/etc to give a few clicks in order to generate income and Im not even allowed to click my own ads even if I am interested in them. So I repeat nope please don't do it.    Google rules are here

Publishers are not allowed to use language to lead users to click the ads, such as:
    "Feel free to click an ad."
    "Contribute to the cause by clicking an ad."
    "Help keep this site running. Check out our sponsors!"
    "We need a new server. Support us!"

Re awin - hopefully any slowness should now be sorted in a couple of areas.  Im currently only targeting BT, TT, Sky & Plusnet in strict rotation rather than the previous random.  I think the geo plugin issues may have been impacting somehow as it appeared to be slowing down practically anything script related.  Obviously the cookie legislation script runs just before the ads.   The slow loading of the the cookie script -  of which I have to display in some form or other by EU legislation -  has without doubt impacting all page loading over the past few weeks, I cant remember the exact date but around the 10th of this month the geoplugin site was overloaded to the point of going down.   This caused my own pages not to completely load and was affecting any other of my third party scripts which are called after the geoplugin.   I'd been noticing the increasing slowness over the past few months and its why I wanted to get rid of that particular cookie legislation script anyway.
awin only pay on sale so no point clicking unless you are interested and buy.
-----

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »

ok understood, thanks.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 03:12:24 PM »

Thanks chrys :)
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 04:00:15 PM »

I'm aware the tab bar is currently off-center.  There's a reason for this which is tied in with the above.  I have a new CSS file which sorts it, but it will be uploaded at the same time the front page gets its update. 

The new CSS uploaded so all pages bar the front should now line up correctly.
The old (existing/current) front page will today look off center until the new front page is uploaded.

I'm also currently messing with some of the CSS styles plus a couple of changes to the header, so until thats complete and Ive re-uploaded >500 pages some styles may look a little strange.  Using F5 & ctrl should clear any cached pages that look odd with the new CSS     

I know that the tab menus for the forum and wiki also need to be redone
Completed.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

I'm also currently messing with some of the CSS styles plus a couple of changes to the header, so until thats complete and Ive re-uploaded >500 pages some styles may look a little strange.  Using F5 & ctrl should clear any cached pages that look odd with the new CSS     

Should all now be completed.
If you do spot anything odd please let me know.   Thanks :)
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:17:52 PM »

i click on the forum tab and it goes straight to home

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP L2TP
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »

site still good performance with ad's, so seems awin problem is now solved.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 11:08:15 PM »

i click on the forum tab and it goes straight to home

It's fine now and many thanks  ;)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 11:47:22 PM »

Cheers guys.:)
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 12:54:30 AM »

An oddity. Please see the two attached images, Forum.png and Home.png

Notice the difference in the displayed tabs?

On the forum page: | Site | ADSL | ISPs | Tech | Routers | Wiki | Forum |

On the home page: | Home | Broadband | ISPs | Tech | Routers | Wiki | Forum |

So there are two questions: (1) "Site" or "Home"? (2) "ADSL" or "Broadband"?

In the case of question (2), if the former is chosen I would like to suggest that it is changed to the all-encompassing "xDSL".
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:15 AM »

Thank you b*cat - Changed to Home - It's always been like that I just never noticed.

Re xDSL/Broadband - you bring an interesting point.   This was something I was very undecided about.    Personally Ive always used xDSL, but this country more than any other seems to be very much into the term 'Broadband' - in perhaps a lesser way than the UK uniquely & wrongly uses the term 'Fibre' when it comes to VDSL.

I think we as a country started off correctly, but somewhere along the lines ASA failed to stamp on a few things and because all UK advertising now uses the term 'Broadband' then the general public doesnt have a clue what ADSL/VDSL/xDSL stands for and therefore anything using the proper and correct terms tend to fall lower when it comes to SEO.  This is one of the reasons why Thinkbroadband took the big step to rename their whole site.

I think you saw a preview image several weeks ago when I was working on it before live where I was using 'DSL' and I changed it just shortly before going live.
I may start a poll on this, because it would be interesting to see what others think.

----
ETA

Poll started here
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 01:49:50 AM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 02:11:47 AM »

Thank you b*cat - Changed to Home - It's always been like that I just never noticed.

Ack..  having done it, Ive just recalled why it was changed to "Site" for the forums and only for the forums.   
It was because many moons ago,  it used to cause confusion between the Forum home button (of which I have no control over) and the main home site. :'(

---
PS @ b*cat.

Its bugging me that the header background isnt lining up correctly in your browser because I tried to move that over to CSS.   I've tested in several different browsers and all line up correctly here - including wonders will never cease in IE.   Out of interest does it just do it on the front page or on others such as this too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 02:21:34 AM by kitz »
-----
Pages: [1] 2 3

anything